HOME Field Trip

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      I am NOT planning this trip. ;-) So be sure to contact, Raylene to see if
      there are still openings. Cole-Land Transportation Museum is located in
      Bangor (on the south side). ~Lisa

      *25th Annual Home Education Week Celebration at the Cole Transportation
      Museum*

      *
      **- 5/18/12 9:00 AM*

      Join Homeschoolers of Maine and homeschooling families from around the
      state on May 18 to celebrate our 25th Annual Maine Home Education Week. We
      will mark this occasion with speakers and activities at the Cole Land
      Transportation Museum in Bangor! *This year's theme is Homeschooling: The
      Road Less Traveled. *The museum will provide homeschoolers with a hands-on
      opportunity to travel through the last two centuries of land transportation
      in Maine. At the same time, we will celebrate the long and courageous
      journey toward securing homeschool freedoms in our state.

      Joining us will be special guest speakers Donn Fendler, author of *Lost on
      a Mountain in Maine *and a brand new book*, Lost Trail: Nine Days Alone in
      the Wilderness* and Home School Legal Defense Association attorney, Scott
      Woodruff <http://www.hslda.org/speakers/speaker.asp?s=4>.

      *Date:* Friday, May 18, 2012

      *Time:* 9:00am�2:00pm (Arrive early! Activities begin promptly at 9:00am!)

      *Location:* Cole Land Transportation Museum <http://www.colemuseum.org/> in
      Bangor

      *Directions:* I-95 Exit 182A. Follow the signs to the War Memorials.

      *Cost:* $5 per adult. Children 18 and under attend FREE!

      *Museum Tours: *Tour guides will be available to provide educational tours
      of the museum. Museum tours are FREE. However, pre-registration is
      required. Please contact HOME Office staff at
      raye4home@...<homeschl@...> to
      register for a museum tour.

      *Meals: *Please bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on the museum grounds!

      *About Our Speakers:*

      *Donn Fendler*

      *"In 1939 twelve year-old Donn Fendler was hiking to the Summit of Maine's
      highest mountain when he became separated from his family. A dark storm
      enveloped the peak of the mile-high mountain called Katahdin, and the boy
      quickly lost his way. He spent nine long days and nights in that rugged
      wilderness, all alone except the wildlife he encountered as he tried to
      find his way out. Meanwhile, the entire state prayed for him while hundreds
      of brave citizens and blood hounds searched the mountain. It was these
      prayers, Donn's courage and faith, his Boy Scout training and his "will to
      live" that brought him through this ordeal."*

      Through the years, Donn Fendler has given countless talks at schools,
      libraries and scout groups about his survival tale, recounted in the 1939
      book, *Lost on a Mountain in Maine*.

      *Scott Woodruff*

      Scott Woodruff, a follower of Christ since his conversion in 1971, earned
      his juris doctor degree from the University of Virginia in 1980. After
      working for John Ashcroft, and subsequently a major regional insurance
      company, Scott came to work for HSLDA in 1998. He is a member of the bar of
      the Supreme Court of the United States, and licensed in Virginia and
      Missouri. He has assisted thousands of home educating families in dealings
      with social workers, police officers, truant officers, principals,
      superintendents, and prosecuting attorneys.

      He has represented HSLDA members in court, and appeared before many state
      legislatures to fight against repressive homeschool legislation. Scott is a
      frequent speaker at homeschool conferences and on radio programs across the
      country. Scott currently handles legal issues for HSLDA members in
      Virginia, Maryland, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Idaho, Maine,
      Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota and Kansas. He also has extensive
      previous experience dealing with members' legal issues in Oklahoma,
      Indiana, Colorado, New Hampshire, Vermont, West Virginia, Massachusetts,
      and Michigan. Scott and his wife, Jane, homeschooled all three of their
      children.

      Scott is a frequent speaker at homeschool events throughout the United
      Sates, and will be presenting *Behind Enemy Lines: The Homeschool Secret
      Agent.
      *