1807Fwd: FW: Summer Camps at L.C.Bates Museum

    May 31, 2014
      I'm not sure how many folks get the newsletter and/or email updates from LC Bates Museum. They are offering a slew of one week summer day camps. They started these about 3-4 years ago and my two younger boys attended a week. It was very cool and it is pretty affordable. I wanted to send this out in case anyone might be interested.

      Subject: Summer Camps at L.C.Bates Museum
      Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 13:50:34 -0400
      From: DStaber@...

      Summer Science and Art Camps at L.C.Bates Museum

      Sign up now by calling the museum! Exciting summer camps for children at L.C.Bates Museum will explore nature, local history and astronomy. Each week long day camp will focus on a different adventure. Some programs will go out into nature to discover local wildlife and plants and some will try tools and toys from the past. The Naturalist as Artist Camp will focus on observing nature with paints in hand. The Conservators Camps, for older children, will explore researching and studying museum collections and making your own collections. At astronomy camp children will use telescopes to view the sun and moon and send up a hot air balloon.

      The summer camps include Nature Camps 1, June 16 to June 20, Nature Camp 2 June 23 to June 27, Naturalist As Artist Camp July 7 to July 11, Dig Into the Past! Archaeology and History Camp July 14 to 18, Astro Explorer Camp July 28 to August 1  and Naturalist and Young Conservators Camp August 4 to August 8. Each week of camp is unique. Enroll your children in our hands-on, interactive day programs and they will learn about fascinating topics through active encounters with nature.  Each camp runs from 9 am until noon.  Appropriate for ages 7-14. The camps are an affordable $65 dollars per week.

      During the nature camps we will explore the plants and animals in the forest, meadow and pond. Each day will be themed around a habitat or animal group with lots of time to explore the outdoors. Nature activities include investigating exhibits, discovering the trails, creating original art projects, playing learning games, and using the telescope to view the sun. These nature camps will include different craft activities and crafts each week.

      The Artists As Naturalists campers will enjoy a week filled with exciting creative projects in the museum and outdoors! Painting, drawing, printing, murals, and a whole lot more inspired by the natural world. At Astronomy Camp your child will shoot for the Moon and beyond as they discover the science of our Solar System. Campers learn about the dynamic worlds in our Solar System, use the outdoor solar observatory, create a volcano, and more! At the Conservators Camp children will explore the fascinating collections in the museum and prepare an exhibit. Choose something you like to put on exhibit. Go behind the scenes and learn about the work of museums! Make your own miniature diorama, design an exhibit investigate the outdoors for collecting and drawing specimens.

      For more information about the L.C. Bates Museum summer camps for children please contact the L.C.Bates Museum at Good Will-Hinckley 207-238-4250 or lcbates@.... The L.C. Bates Museum is located on Rt 201 in Hinckley, Maine on the campus of Good Will-Hinckley.

      Deborah Staber
      L. C. Bates Museum
      Good Will-Hinckley Homes for Boys and Girls
      Route 201, P.O. Box 159
      Hinckley, ME  04944

      Please check the the Museum’s facebook page and become a fan.