1693November Field Trips

    Oct 17, 2013
      Nancy Griggs is putting together a day in the Portsmouth, NH/York, ME area. Be sure to email Nancy to sign up. I'm just sharing the info. :-)  ~Lisa

      Here are two (2) history learning opportunities scheduled for Thursday, Nov 21st (you don't need to participate in both activities):

      Strawbery Banke (Portsmouth, NH) 9:45AM-12:00PM
      Thanksgiving From Festival to Feast Program
      Recommended for grades 2-6.
      Cost:  $10/child, $7/adult

      Trace the evolution of Thanksgiving from the Puritan's holy day of thanks to today's family feast and homecoming.  In this active, fast-paced, and multi-sensory program you will discover why Thanksgiving transcended time, place, and culture to become the uniquely American holiday we celebrate today.  Try some old-fashioned cooking, create harvest crafts, and talk with costumed role-players.  In small groups, guided by a museum educator, find the common themes of this holiday over three centuries: charity, survival, gratitude, national identity, and the celebration of family and community.  The program includes touring 3 furnished houses over 3 centuries (17th, 18th, and 19th).  Pitt Tavern, Goodwin Mansion, and the Shapiro House.

      For more information, please go to http://www.strawberybanke.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=173:thanksgiving-from-festival-to-feast&catid=43:school-programs&Itemid=207

      Museums of Old York, (York, ME) 1:00PM-3:00PM
      Cost:  $5/child, $3/adult

      Spend two hours exploring the 18th century at the Museums of Old York. Bake molasses cookies from scratch at the hearth while learning all the different ways people cooked on the hearth. Grate and grind the ingredients and learn where in the world they were shipped from. Card and spin wool into yarn while learning about 18th century textile production. Weave on a loom and learn to sew while learning about the importance of the tailor. Enjoy a tour of the Old Gaol, a jail built in 1719 to house local wrongdoers. See the early 18th century stone cells and the more modern cells for debtors and violent criminals. Tour the living quarters of the jail keeper, his wife, and their four children in 1789.

      Dress: They encourage you to come in your best attempt at a colonial costume, but wear layers, as the Old Gaol is unheated, and the hearth can be quite warm.

      For more information, please go to http://oldyork.org/Programs%20Education/school.html

      If you are interested in either of these programs, please let me know.  November 21st seems like a long way off, however, I would like to give them a headcount 2 weeks prior to the visit.

      Thank you!  Nancy Grigg
      bnkgrigg@...