1688Re: [CentralMaineHomeEducators] Writing seminar with Dave & Neta Jackson (Trailblazer books)

    Oct 14, 2013
      Jenny - this is an all day seminar. Just wanted to clarify that. :-)

      On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Jenny Long <jennlyn2@...> wrote:

      We will do at 2! Thanks!

      On Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:11 PM, "his_7@..." <his_7@...> wrote:
      yes I would do 2

      On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:08:07 -0400, Vicki Merrill <memoriesmatter@...> wrote:
      Lisa Berry and I are working on the possibility of bringing Dave and Neta Jackson, authors of the award-winning  Trailblazer series, to Maine in April to hold their homeschool writing workshop, as well as a parent’s workshop the night before.
      The Trailblazer series is a series of 40 historical fiction novels for young readers about great Christian heroes that have sold over 1.7 million copies!  They also authored Hero Tales:  A Family Treasury of True Stories from the Lives of Christian Heroes (Vols I, II, III and IV).
      They offer a one day seminar for kids that consists of three workshops:
         1. Your Character Makes Your Story--how a story plot grows when you develop your character's character.
          2. Point of View--choosing who's telling your story; how a story can change depending on whose point of view it is told from.
          3. Dramatic Writing--how to "show, not tell," through description, dialogue, action.
          All workshops have fun exercises, both individual and in mini-groups.
      Suggested Schedule (We like 75-90 minutes per workshop):
      Set up book table, etc.
      Student Arrival and Registration (name tags, etc.)
      Brief introduction and get-acquainted time
      WORKSHOP #1
      WORKSHOP #2
      Lunch Break (book sales and signing)
      Question & Answer Time
      WORKSHOP #3 & wrap-up span>
      Book sales/book signing
      We need a minimum of 30 students, maximum 50, per day, to host the seminar.  Their workshops are geared primarily for the 4th through 9th grade age range.  We can also do two days and dividing the students between days (e.g., 4th through 6th on Day One; 7th through 9th on Day Two) if there is an average of at least 30 students each day.
      The cost would be $40 per student for a day long workshop, with the second child in the family being $30.  The parents night would be an additional fee.
      If you are interested in this opportunity, please let me know as soon as possible so we can secure the right location for this event.  If there is enough interest, we can offer it in both the Madison and Farmington areas.  If not, we will set it up in one area or the other.  We are also working with Trisha in the Dover-Foxcroft area to hold one there as well.
      If you are interested in hosting a writing seminar with the Jackson’s in  your area while they are here, please let me know asap as we need to have at least three different events set up in order for them to come to visit us in Maine!
      Looking forward to hearing from lots of you!  Vicki

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic