"teams who knew him best...wanting him most."-Herald

  • JB
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
      Celtics to sign Marquis Daniels
      By Steve Bulpett  |   Tuesday, September 1, 2009  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  Boston Celtics
      Photo
      Photo by Herald file

      Marquis Daniels is set to become a Celtic. Finally.

      Sources told the Herald yesterday Daniels will sign for the bi-annual exception. The deal will begin at $1.99 million and can be for no more than two years.

      The 6-foot-6 swingman weeks ago agreed to join the Celts, but since then the club has been trying to work out a sign-and-trade deal that would benefit all sides.

      The Celtics [team stats] were trying to clear some roster space while giving Daniels a contract that was longer and more in line with his value. But when they could not come to an agreement with Indiana, the team Daniels is leaving as a free agent, Celts director of basketball operations Danny Ainge went searching for a three-team transaction.

      With training camp a month away and all avenues to a trade seemingly at a dead end, the sides agreed to the simple free agent contract.

      Daniels will be expected to lessen the burdens on wingmen Paul Pierce [stats] and Ray Allen, while also playing a role in the point guard rotation. He will be a strong complement to the fast-break game.

      Known around the league as an intelligent player whose athleticism sometimes leads to aggressive errors, Daniels has averaged 9.4 points and 1.1 steals in 23.5 minutes in six seasons.

      A wrist injury limited him to 54 games last season, but he stepped up in Mike Dunleavy’s absence and averaged a career-best 13.6 points.

      Daniels was a key player in Dallas’ aggressive and heady attack for three seasons but was traded to Indiana when the Mavericks opted for a different - and ultimately less successful - style. The Pacers have been caught in a roster transition the past few years.

      It is interesting to note that, according to league sources, the two other teams with the most interest in Daniels when he became a free agent this summer were Dallas and Indiana. That indicates the teams who knew him best were among those wanting him most.

      http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1194606&format=text
      Find this and other fine articles at the above link.

    • hytem
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
        I've read Daniels is a backup for Pierce--and for Rondo. Must be a joke.

        --- In Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com, JB <JB_Celticsstuff@...> wrote:

        > Celtics to sign Marquis Daniels
        > By Steve Bulpett | Tuesday, September 1, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com
        > | Boston Celtics
        >
        > Photo by Herald file
        > Marquis Daniels is set to become a Celtic. Finally.
        >
        > Sources told the Herald yesterday Daniels will sign for the bi-annual
        > exception. The deal will begin at $1.99 million and can be for no more
        > than two years.
        >
        > The 6-foot-6 swingman weeks ago agreed to join the Celts, but since
        > then the club has been trying to work out a sign-and-trade deal that
        > would benefit all sides.
        >
        > The Celtics [team stats] were trying to clear some roster space while
        > giving Daniels a contract that was longer and more in line with his
        > value. But when they could not come to an agreement with Indiana, the
        > team Daniels is leaving as a free agent, Celts director of basketball
        > operations Danny Ainge went searching for a three-team transaction.
        >
        > With training camp a month away and all avenues to a trade seemingly
        > at a dead end, the sides agreed to the simple free agent contract.
        >
        > Daniels will be expected to lessen the burdens on wingmen Paul Pierce
        > [stats] and Ray Allen, while also playing a role in the point guard
        > rotation. He will be a strong complement to the fast-break game.
        >
        > Known around the league as an intelligent player whose athleticism
        > sometimes leads to aggressive errors, Daniels has averaged 9.4 points
        > and 1.1 steals in 23.5 minutes in six seasons.
        >
        > A wrist injury limited him to 54 games last season, but he stepped up
        > in Mike Dunleavy's absence and averaged a career-best 13.6 points.
        >
        > Daniels was a key player in Dallas' aggressive and heady attack for
        > three seasons but was traded to Indiana when the Mavericks opted for a
        > different - and ultimately less successful - style. The Pacers have
        > been caught in a roster transition the past few years.
        >
        > It is interesting to note that, according to league sources, the two
        > other teams with the most interest in Daniels when he became a free
        > agent this summer were Dallas and Indiana. That indicates the teams
        > who knew him best were among those wanting him most.
        >

        > http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1194606&format=text
        > Find this and other fine articles at the above link.

      • John S
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
          Not only is he a backup 1-2-3 , he's also going to backup Danny as GM , fill in for Lucky ,
          head the sales department , fly the team plane and make coffee in the morning

          Ainge say's Marquis has done a little bit of everything in college , " Hey why should
          I sign a PG or Pilot when I got Marquis ? "

          Reporters tried to catch up with Marquis and interview him but were told he
          was busy simonizing Doc's new car .
          I've read Daniels is a backup for Pierce--and for Rondo. Must be a joke.

          --- In Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com, JB <JB_Celticsstuff@...> wrote:

          > Celtics to sign Marquis Daniels
          > By Steve Bulpett  |   Tuesday, September 1, 2009  |  http://www.bostonherald.com
          >    |  Boston Celtics
          >
          > Photo by Herald file
          > Marquis Daniels is set to become a Celtic. Finally.
          >
          > Sources told the Herald yesterday Daniels will sign for the bi-annual
          > exception. The deal will begin at $1.99 million and can be for no more
          > than two years.

        • hytem
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
            Is Daniels a one year or two year deal?

            --- In Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com, "John S" <js33@...> wrote:

            > Not only is he a backup 1-2-3 , he's also going to backup Danny as GM , fill in for Lucky ,
            > head the sales department , fly the team plane and make coffee in the morning
            >
            > Ainge say's Marquis has done a little bit of everything in college , " Hey why should
            > I sign a PG or Pilot when I got Marquis ? "
            >
            > Reporters tried to catch up with Marquis and interview him but were told he
            > was busy simonizing Doc's new car .

          • John S
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
              I believe it's just for one .