News Letter 7 March03

  • irishleague@sureitsirish.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 4:20 AM
      EmailStandardBrighton Irish Arts Network

      Responding to the unmet needs among the Brighton Irish community with
      supportive advice/advocacy,information and training services. Promotion and
      teaching of Irish arts and the celebration of diversity
      Hello Again,
      March time and a noticeable stretch in the evenings. St. Patrick's Day will
      arrive soon and Pat Sweeney has a big celebration planned in aid of the
      Trevor Mann Baby Unit. Progress on establishing a part-time home for the
      Brighton Irish Arts Network was negotiated and in April we will have a visit
      from the Parnell Society of Ireland.

      Content: BIAN & The Old Market Hove # The Parnell Society of Ireland #
      Teacher Training # What's On # For Sale

      Brighton Irish Arts Network (BIAN) & The Old Market Hove

      The Trustees of The Old Market have accepted our proposal to gain access to
      The Old Market as a part-time residence and venue for our future event
      programmes.

      Access will start in June 2003. We will be there each Saturday from 12 to 4
      pm in the tea room and bar area. On exhibit will be art & craft, musical
      instruments and Irish made products. We will also provide information on the
      Network and on music & dance lessons and travel information on Ireland. The
      bar will be open and tea and coffee served too.

      Between now and June we will be busy developing our event calendar. We will
      deliver events of the highest standard in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere
      with a cabaret style layout and bar facilities.

      We plan to bring you the best of Irish music, dance, theatre and comedy. The
      range will be broad and will include traditional, folk, country,
      contemporary and blues. In addition, we will invite guest artistes from
      cross culture groups and genre.

      We will also work hard to promote Brighton based artistes by planning them
      into our event programmes.

      We are keen to attract the youth to our culture and events. We now have
      music and dance classes in operation and we are working on a discount scheme
      that will enable under sixteen's to attend our events at an affordable price
      or better still, for free.

      The Parnell Society of Ireland (Social Evening on April 23 Read On For
      Details)

      The Parnell Society is an educational trust founded in 1981 to promote the
      historical legacy of the Irish Home Rule leader Charles Stewart Parnell
      (1846 - 1891), and other members of the Parnell family. Its main work is
      fostering historical research and the presentation of papers and lectures
      through the International Parnell Summer School held in the former Parnell
      home of Avondale County Wicklow each August. A subsidiary cultural event is
      the annual Parnell Spring Day where young historians are given an
      opportunity to present research papers to a discerning public audience.
      The Parnell Society also presents a number of scholarships annually to
      students of Irish history. Membership of the society is international and is
      open to anyone who subscribes to the idea of Parnell. Its members currently
      consist of a diverse section of the Irish public from distinguished academic
      and literary personae, to lay members of the public who relish the
      intellectual stimulation and ambience for which the Parnell Society is
      justly famous. During the last few years the Parnell Society have undertaken
      a number of international tours, visiting sites and locations associated
      with the Parnell family in places like Paris, Boston, Valley City in Alabama
      to name a few. Last year the society visited North Devon to visit the grave
      of the patriot Anna Parnell. In April 2003 the society will visit Brighton,
      Littlehampton and London. At Littlehamption they will visit the grave of
      Katherine Parnell (Nee Kitty O'Shea) and place a commemorative plaque in her
      honour.
      C. S. Parnell died in Brighton and back on his Irish estate in County
      Wicklow he built a replica of Brighton railway station as a cow-house! and
      it's still there.

      On April 23rd. there will be a social evening organised for the Parnell
      Society at the Wagon & Horses in Church Street from 8 pm. Anyone interested
      in meeting members of the Parnell Society can pop in. Live music included.

      Teacher Training Diploma Course

      We have now established links with Comhaltas Ceolt�ir� �ireann and plans are
      afoot to send a local fiddle teacher on a Teacher Training Diploma Course
      (TTDC) in Dublin this coming summer. The course follows a syllabus of
      Traditional Irish Examinations

      ART EXHIBITION
      Sat. 8th. Irish Art and Craft Exhibition @Friends Meeting House, Ship
      Street, 12 - 3pm. Public access is Free. Donations welcome. Art - Craft -
      Live music - Musical instruments. We have a growing number of Artists taking
      part so why not pop in for a look and a chat.
      Black Horse - Rottingdean
      Sunday 16th. from 1500 live session, no cover charge Ware something green.
      Free food, Michael's Irish Curry
      MARCH 17TH
      Pat Sweeney is busy organising a great big celebration party for St.
      Patrick's Night at the Brighton - Race Course. Live music by Mustang Band
      (Country & Irish) supported with Andy's Shamrock Sounds Plus an Exhibition
      of Irish Set Dancing and Irish Step Dancing Doors open 8:30 pm Doors close
      12:15 am Tickets in advance �8 and �9 at the door. Late Bar 01:00 am and
      music to 01:30 Contact Pat on 01273 673469 Please give this event your full
      support. Proceed to the Trevor Mann baby unit in the Children's Hospital.
      Irish Music At The Queen Vic - Rottingdean
      Friday 21st, Bob (the Bodhr�n) & friends Play at the Queen Vic in
      Rottingdean 8 pm No cover charge
      Irish Music Sessions
      Every Monday, The Pond ~ 49 Gloucester Road from 9 pm FREE. Phone 01273
      621400
      Every Tuesday, The Geese Pub ~ 16 Southover Street from 9pm FREE. Phone
      01273 607755
      Every Sunday, The Loin & Lobster ~ 24 Sillwood Street from 8m FREE. Phone
      01273 776961
      Irish Dancing Lessons
      Every Wednesday, Set Dancing Classes @ The Barn, Goring. 8 -10:30pm. �3.
      Contact Win Murphy Phone on 01903 503321 for full details.
      Every Friday, Set Dancing Classes @ St. Peter's Church Hall Tamworth Rd.
      Hove. 8 - 10:30pm. �3. Phone Josie on 01273 747875 for full details.
      Irish Dancing Classes held in Worthing, Brighton, Crawley, Cuckfield, and
      Waterlooville for full
      information contact Roseleen on 01903 535503
      Irish Music Lessons
      At the moment there are lessons on Bodhran, Fiddle, Guitar and Whistle.
      Singing lessons available too
      Coming soon are lessons on Flute, Uillean Pipes and Banjo. Contact Christina
      on 01273 690566.

      FOR SALE - Leather Irish Passport Covers
      A Beautiful, fine green pure leather passport cover, with brass corners,
      reflects the style of the original Irish Passport with the Irish Harp and
      gold text. Size: 10x14cm
      Price �10.00 plus �2.50 postage. Makes a lovely gift To order, phone 01273
      233249 or send cheque payable to 'Sure Its Irish' to the address above.
      Allow 7 days for delivery
      END

      Kind Regards,
      Michael
      Secretary - Brighton Irish Arts Network - A Virtual Irish Arts Centre
      www.sureitsirish.com
      admin@...