The Complete Guide to Celtic Music

  • Aideen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
      On CC member, Tom K's Rambles ezine I have just come across mention of this
      book - The Complete Guide to Celtic Music by June Skinner Sawyers - in which
      the reviewer says "This is a book that I will treasure for decades to come
      and which will probably lead me to bankruptcy as I try to source and
      purchase all the albums and books listed that I never even knew existed".
      Mighty fine praise I thought, so I did a further search and found the
      publisher's website which says:

      Celtic music means many things to many people. To some it recalls the Irish
      rebel songs of the Clancy Brothers, to others the ensemble playing of the
      Chieftains or Enya's ethereal vocals.

      Yet Celtic music is much more than reels, jigs, and sentimental ballads; it
      is also unaccompanied singing, feverish fiddle tunes, the sweet strains of
      the Irish uileann pipes. It comes not just from Ireland and Scotland but
      from Wales, Brittany, the Isle of Man, and Cornwall. It informs the musical
      roots of Van Morrison and U2, the performances of Riverdance, and the scores
      for such films as Braveheart and Titanic.

      Celtic Music explores all aspects of this music-from its roots to the
      exciting developments on the contemporary scene. Sawyers profiles hundreds
      of artists, and compiles suggestions for recommended listening as well as
      the 100 Essential Celtic Recordings.

      Lists of Celtic festivals and publications are also included, together with
      record outlets, record labels, and music schools, making this book essential
      for all lovers of the music.

      Biography
      A native of Glasgow, Scotland, June Skinner Sawyers is an editor and
      free-lance writer. She is the resident expert in Celtic music for the
      Newberry Library in Chicago and a frequent contributor to the Chicago
      Tribune.
      http://www.dacapopress.com/celticmusic.html

      Amazon.com also have some reviews, one of which I give here, despite it
      raising my blood pressure with the oh-so-common grammatical error of using
      the word 'Scotch' instead of 'Scottish' (Scotch is a Scottish whisky!!!!!):

      Thanks to the compact disc, practically any recorded music for any
      particular taste is available these days. Consequently, guides to recorded
      music are useful for longer than ever before. Sawyers, however, offers much
      more than CD-buying advice. Even before explaining what modern Celtic music
      comprehends--everything played in the vast ranges of instrumentation and
      style indicated by the book's subtitle--she explains what Celtic means: the
      unifying cultural identity of the originally Gaelic-language peoples of
      Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Brittany, the Isle of Man, Cornwall, and Galicia.
      She is equally informative about the instruments, kinds, national
      distinctivenesses, and lineages (e.g., U.S. bluegrass as a development from
      Scotch-Irish congregational singing) of Celtic music; about the influences
      on and of Celtic music; and about political history's impact on music. Her
      record recommendations are descriptive as well as qualitative, and sidebars
      explore such related topics as "Drovers and Cowboys" and "Tartan and Gaelic
      Identity." So this buyer's guide is also--maybe first and foremost--a fine
      primer on Celtic music and its worldwide prevalence. Ray Olson
      Ingram.

      The traditional music of Ireland and Scotland and the contemporary Celtic
      music scene are explored. Includes a listing of the top 100 essential CDs.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1559725001/104-5557795-4587951

      Have any CC members bought or read this book or used the sources suggested
      in the book? If so, let's hear from you.

      Aideen
    • Maudeen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
        Thanks for the info, Aideen. I've gone over and put on my Amazon wish list.
        I have several books on Celtic music. This summer at the Highland Games I
        picked up a book called "Celtic Women in Music" which is very good.

        ~Maudeen
        Now reading: Irish Lady by Jeanette Baker

        **EDIT NOTE from Bernadette:

        I love my "Celtic Tides" book (there is also a companion CD and video available) by Martin Melhuish. Check out our feature on this book and him at:

        http://www.celticcafe.com/Books/melhuish/index.htm
      • Tom K
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2001
          Hey, thanks for reading the magazine! It's always gratifying to see Rambles
          cited by folks who saw and enjoyed what we do.

          I haven't seen the book in question, but if anyone does decide to buy a copy
          I'd be ever so grateful if you did so through the Rambles link, copied
          below. The wee percentage we get from such purchases helps to keep the
          magazine afloat by covering some of the operating costs. Thanks!

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0306810077/rambles

          - -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
          http://www.rambles.net .... Are you a Celtophile? Rambles is
          THE place to look for reviews of Celtic albums and concerts,
          fiction and non-fiction books, and movies. We have plenty of
          non-Celtic material, too, including jazz, folk and bluegrass
          ... plus interviews with top musicians, artists and authors!
          - -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -

          From: "Aideen" <aideen@...>

> [...]
          > Scotch-Irish congregational singing) of Celtic music; about the influences
          > on and of Celtic music; and about political history's impact on music. Her
          > record recommendations are descriptive as well as qualitative, and sidebars
          > explore such related topics as "Drovers and Cowboys" and "Tartan and Gaelic
          > Identity." So this buyer's guide is also--maybe first and foremost--a fine
          > primer on Celtic music and its worldwide prevalence. Ray Olson
          > Ingram.
          >
          > The traditional music of Ireland and Scotland and the contemporary Celtic
          > music scene are explored. Includes a listing of the top 100 essential CDs.
          > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1559725001/104-5557795-4587951
          >
          > Have any CC members bought or read this book or used the sources suggested
          > in the book? If so, let's hear from you.

        • Marc Gunn, Bard
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
            >Have any CC members bought or read this book or used the sources suggested
            >in the book? If so, let's hear from you.

            I bought the book this past summer and read it. I loved it. It's packed with
            a ton of information and artists. I learned a heck of a lot. The listening
            resource was great too. Now I have a huge list of CDs I need to buy.
            I wrote a review of it at
            http://bardscrier.com/celticmuse/reviews/books/Celtic_Music.shtml

            P.S.
            Ignore the book cover, seems I posted the wrong one. Oops!)

            MARC GUNN, BARD Brobdingnagian Bards
            http://thebards.net ** http://mp3.com/thebards?em
            A bard by any other name...has a shorter name!