steve mcdonald fan club newsletter #67

  • granny
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      Steve McDonald Fan Club Newsletter #67

      June 1, 2011

      Music is the life of the soul,

      It is the harmony of the universe

      WHO WANTS TO MEET STEVE McDONALD THIS SUMMER?

      Well, he is touring the United States and all you have to do is

      host a house concert or attend one!

      Here are some confirmed, and some pending dates and places

      if you want more info, please contact me

      June 17 ~ Lancaster, California, house concert

      June 18 ~ Palmdale, California, house concert

      June 25 ~ Blackfoot, Idaho, house concert

      July 8 ~ Sandy, Utah, Sandy Amphitheater ~benefit concert with the

      proceeds going toward the building of a new Clan Donald, USA

      genealogical library at Ft. Connah, MT. The benefit concert will

      be at the Sandy Amphitheater in Sandy, Utah on July 8th, 2011.

      Tickets will be available through Smithtix after May 1st.

      July 9 ~ Payson, Utah Highland Games ~He will sing a few numbers at

      the Payson Scottish Festival and signing CD's, but that won't be

      a full concert. It will be more of a bonus for his fans who attend

      both. Those who see him only at the Payson Scottish Festival

      will wish they had been to the full concert.

      July 16 ~ Gresham, Oregon, house concert

      July 17 ~ Newberg, Oregon, house concert

      July 20 ~ Belfair, Washington, house concert

      July 23 ~ Belfair, Washington, house concert

      July 24 ~ Belfair, Washington, Eagles Lodge

      August 6 & 7 ~ Monterey Highland Games, Monterey California

      As more dates are confirmed I will keep you informed

      You are all invited to attend any of these concerts. Please email me

      and let me know if you would like to attend and I will give you details.

      Steve's wee newsletter blurb

      "Well, we start the house concert tour next month, I'm really excited about meeting some of you. There are still a few vacant dates we can fill if you are interested in a house concert.

      I have been in Rarotonga for the past three weeks, it is a special place, still very unspoiled but I don't know for how long as the world is catching up with it, but as always we had a great time there. If you get the chance GO!!!

      If you are present at one of the house concerts, please make yourself known to me.

      See ya real soon

      peace and best wishes

      Steve"

      What's New?

      HOSTING A HOUSE CONCERT, THAT'S WHAT!

      Bring Live Music Into Your Own Living Room!

      People who love live music and a low-key, chill atmosphere are bringing singer/songwriters into their homes for House Concerts across the nation. Here's how to get started hosting live living room music.

      It's as easy as 1-2-3!

      Step 1: What Home is Right for a House Concert

      A host will want to fill at least 20 chairs for a show and more would be even better. People who host house concerts regularly are able to seat 20-50 people, though House Concerts can be much larger if a home is big enough to accommodate more. Before moving forward with a House Concert, a host should feel confident that they can not only set up,

      but fill at least 20 chairs for the show.

      Step 2: Set a Date

      When picking a date for a House Concert, a host should choose a date that will work well for everyone.

      Step 3: Get the Word Out

      Remember, a host's goal is to have at least 20 people show up for the concert and ideally closer to 40 or 50 people. So, they need to get the word out about the amazing opportunity they're offering. Start with email.

      Send out an e-mail buzz to live music loving friends telling them about the show and the artist. Include a picture of the artist and biography information, too. If a host feels comfortable opening their home to the

      public, they should contact local media and tell them about the event. If they would like to keep the concert to family and friends, skip the media and focus on word-of-mouth advertising to get people interested in the show.

      Rules of Hosting a House Concert

      House Concerts are a growing trend and anyone can host one, but there are a few simple rules to follow to make sure everyone has a good time. Here are the rules of hosting a House Concert.

      #1 The Setup

      An average House Concert will have an audience of 20-50 people and a home needs to be ready to accommodate them. To fit that many people into a home, move regular house furniture to the sides of the living room and, hopefully, do the same in a connecting dining room, kitchen or family room. Then, bring in more seating. Often, a host can borrow extra seating from a local church or just call on neighbors to loan Set the chairs up in rows, just like a regular concert, leaving room for the musician at the head of the "stage" in the living room or family room. The venue must be able to

      supply:

      a.) Electricity (110volts) at point of performance

      b.) A safe and secure environment

      c.) If out doors, a canopy or roof sufficient to protect Steve and his equipment from sun and rain. The venue needs to be responsible for noise

      control, which includes any complaints from neighbors to police etc.

      Be sure the audience will be able to see Steve, as this is an important part of the House Concert. When setting up an outdoor House Concert, a host

      can choose to either provide chairs for the audience or ask them to bring their own.

      #2 Admission Fee

      Performance fee will be based on $20 per person ( under 16 years free ) with a minimum performance fee of $400, which ever is the greater.

      A deposit of $100 at time of booking is required to secure the booking. Deposit will be deducted from the performance fee. In the event of a cancellation, deposits will be refunded up until three weeks prior to performance date. After this the deposit will become non-refundable to defray expenses. if the performer cancels the performance at any time prior to the performance then the deposit will be refunded.

      #3 Announce the Artist

      Before Steve begins performing, a host should do an introduction for him. Thank the audience, thank Steve and snag a few good lines from his

      biography to get the crowd primed for a good show. Also, tell the crowd that House Concerts thrive on a listening audience. Ask the audience to please keep their talk to a minimum while the Steve is performing. They will have plenty of time to chat during the break between sets and after the show.

      Duration of performance will be at the discretion of the entertainer, however, a typical performance will be, two 45 minute sets with intermission between sets.

      #5 Enjoy

      Having a musician perform in a living room is a unique experience, soak up the fun!

      Contests! Contests! Contests!

      Let's get right to it!

      This Month`s Sweepstakes Winner:

      Our newest Sweepstakes contest winner is Susan Weeks! Congratulations, Susan! You've won an autographed CD!

      Please contact me at jackie@... with your snail mail address and choice of Steve's CDs so I can send your autographed CD to you!

      Those of you who didn't win are entitled to a big, disappointed :::sigh:::. However, the good news is that a brand-new contest is already up and running at www.stevemcdonaldfanclub.com . Read the lyric excerpt, and name the song it is from to get your name in the drawing.

      So that was great news for Sue...but how about the rest of you, now that last month's sweepstakes is over? Well, those of you who didn't win should not despair: I've still got plenty of prizes, and I'm going to continue to give one away each month, which means more opportunities to win! So if you've been putting off entering, now is the time!

      There is a new song for the Sweepstakes!

      Here is the lyric:

      "We walk a lonely road. Or so I've been told

      That life's a lonely journey for us all

      But here I'd like to say, somewhere along the way,

      We choose how we stand and how we fall..."

      And those of you who have listened to Steve's fourth CD, Legend, already know the answer! If you would like to hear this song, be sure to stop by the Sweepstakes page and listen! Best of luck to everyone who enters (I wish it could be all of you!).

      One entry is good for each monthly drawing, so if you haven't entered yet, what are you waiting for?

      We'll be drawing a winner at the end of every month. But all of last month's contest entries have been tossed out. The first of each month the new sweepstakes starts. Go to http://www.stevemcdonaldfanclub.com now and fill out the email form for a chance to win.

      If you want more information, all of the nitty-gritty details are on the website. Click on over to www.stevemcdonaldfanclub.com , click on the Sweepstakes button, and get your name in the contest. Best of luck to you all!

      Forum & Topic of the Month:

      Please send in your ideas for our Forum!

      Please write in with any subject about Steve's music, or comment on any that are already up for discussion.

      We have a few subjects that you may add to, or send in your own thoughts!

      Our Forum is a section where members of the fan club can write on any relevant topic, such as Steve's music, concerts, albums, and what you would like on the website. The topics can be chosen by the fans themselves, and you could reply to each other's suggestions and opinions in a thread.

      Also, please keep those Forum Questions for Steve coming! He loves to hear from you, and answers all your questions. There are two pages on the Forum, one for questions for Steve (please keep your forum questions to only being about his music, albums and gigs/tours) and one for fan discussions.

      Check it all out at www.stevemcdonaldfanclub.com and click on the Forum.

      On The Road Contest News

      We need some more of Steve's fans to blow their own horn!

      The Steve McDonald On The Road Team is a very special group of Steve's listeners who help promote his music. I know through your e-mails to me that many of you are already doing this by telling friends about his music, posting about his music on message boards, and asking for his CDs in stores. Thank you all for your efforts! We're thrilled by your support, and I'd love to encourage you to continue to spread the word about his music. On The Road Team membership is open to all of his listeners, and benefits include your name listed on the front page of the On The Road Team section of the Fan Club website, and a chance to win autographed CDs in a monthly drawing for On The Road Team members only. Joining is easy...visit the On The Road Team section to see what you need to do. Whether you decide to join the team or not, we appreciate your support!

      Member Spotlight:

      Although "Member Spotlight" on the fan site is not actually new, it's been growing. You can post information about yourself and pictures of your pets there, so check it out and add yourself if you'd like!

      Join us! Join in the fun! Send in your pictures and tell us a little about yourselves for our Member Spotlight pages!

      We would really like to see some more new faces on our Member Spotlight pages! So please everybody, send in a picture and tell us a little about yourself. I know there are more fan club members out there besides the same familiar faces already on our pages! Please join us and say hello! Send us a picture and tell us about yourself! If you have ever seen Steve perform, or had your picture taken with him, please send that along, too!

      Check out the pages and please JOIN US!

      Have Anything You'd Like To Say To Steve?

      Please remember that Steve enjoys hearing from all of you, so be sure to send him an e-mail through the fan club at admin@... He has asked me to

      "Please assure people that I do read their letters and appreciate them very much."

      If anyone has time and would like to put in their two cents worth with suggestions for anything you would like to see in the club store or have added to the web pages, please email me at jackie@... . I am very interested in your feedback!

      And on a final note, feel free to forward this newsletter to friends and/or post it at Celtic friendly music stores on the Internet . Thank you for your support!

      That's All For This Month

      I wish you all the best...and happy listening!

      Jackie

      Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh!

      Good health and every good blessing to you!