News from Wales and the World! July 2nd - 2009!

  • carwyn edwards
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2009
      Editors notes: This week we have stories from Antartica, America, London, and Bae Ceredigion!??!!!!!!

      Do you want your website to be visited by supporters of Wales from Aberffraw to Afghanistan then highlight your website with "News from Wales and the World"
      For more information on how to appear on the front end of our newsletter and have a link on our hugely popular news web page please contact us: E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...
      Take advantage of our promotional rates and at the same time help the Welsh League of Arizona share Welsh information all over the world!!!!

      Check out these Welsh related websites. We appreciate their support towards our efforts!!!!

      �THE LAND OF YOUR FATHERS�.
      RHYS PHILLIPS, COL, USMC (Ret.) wrote:
      "The documentary (The Land of Your Fathers) is outstanding. The photography and musical background are truly inspiring!�
      �THE LAND OF YOUR FATHERS� is DVD of a journey around Wales filmed on a High Definition camera.
      SHOW THE GRANDCHILDREN THE LAND OF DEWI SANT!
      "Inspirational! The production is inspirational!" � GARETH JENKINS, WELSH RUGBY TEAM COACH (Ret.)
      "You have captured the beauty of the wildness of Wales .�.
      I can recommend it to all who love Wales��" VERONICA ELLIS, New South Wales.
      The DVD is available in both PAL and NTSC formats.
      http://www.HendyProductions.co.uk/

      AmeriCymru
      AmeriCymru Members, Please Help Us Clear the Final Hurdle!!!
      As some of you will know, AmeriCymru is holding a major event in Portland, Oregon this year.
      The Left Coast Eisteddfod on August 21st and August 22nd, 2009 will be a major
      celebration of all things Welsh and the rich American-Welsh heritage.
      There will be performances by BBC Radio Wales Chris Needs, tenor Bruce Anderson,
      Here Be Dragons from Cardiff and Oceans Apart. Also appearing will be authors
      Niall Griffiths and Chris Keil, lovespoon carver extraordinaire David Western and many more.
      http://americymru.ning.com/profiles/blogs/americymru-members-please-help

      Please let us know if you have any Announcements/Up coming events/Press releases/Questions or Comments. It's always great to hear from our readers!!! E-mail: carwynedwards993@... or cymru20012000@...

      Latest Welsh News - Newyddion Diweddaraf !
      Full story - click here - http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/news.html

      - Meriwether Lewis, American-Welsh frontiersman blew his brains out in a bar, or did he? - ON October 10, 1809, Meriwether Lewis a dashing US army captain whose family had emigrated from Pembrokeshire, rode up to a log cabin inn called Grinder�s Stand in the Tennessee Mountains.
      After taking a few drinks and saying �lovely evening ma�am� to a fellow customer, the 35-year-old American-Welsh frontiersman apparently blew his brains out with pistol.

      - Ivor Novello: Last Great Romantic - Born in Cardiff, Ivor Novello found fame as a writer of patriotic songs during the First World War such as Keep The Home Fires Burning.
      His good looks helped him win acclaim as Britain's first movie idol, although he failed to make a break in Hollywood.

      - 1,500-strong dolphin super pod spotted off Pembrokeshire - ONE of the largest-ever groups of dolphins in British waters has been spotted off the Welsh coast. Nature lovers went on a boat trip hoping to spot a dolphin or two � and were amazed to see 1,500 swimming in a �super pod�.

      - Aqueduct crowned world 'wonder'
      � A 200-year-old aqueduct near Wrexham has been crowned as one of the heritage "wonders" of the world.
      Pontcysyllte aqueduct was added to the list of World Heritage Sites by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco).

      - Scott of Antarctic hotel 'saved' - Scott held a fund-raising dinner there in 1910 before he sailed from Cardiff on the Terra Nova for the South Pole.
      The hotel is now famous for that oak-panelled dining room which was named after Robert Falcon Scott.

      - Road naming marks docks disaster
      - A docks disaster 100 years ago that killed 39 men but saw the heroism of a teenage boy is being marked later.
      A minute's silence at the port in Newport will be held to remember the moment when a new entrance lock to its North Dock collapsed on 2 July, 1909.
      Tom Lewis, a 16-year-old newspaper boy, risked his life to enter the wreckage and to save a man trapped by timbers

      - Dadorchuddio cofeb i Laura Ashley - Cafodd Laura Ashley ei geni ym Merthyr Tudful cyn cychwyn ar gwmni dillad a deunyddiau byd enwog a oedd yn cael eu creu ym Mhowys.

      Readers Comments - Geiriau gan yr darllenwyr!

      Los Angeles Taffia
      It's interesting to read of the 'taffia' in Los Angeles.
      They may watch and support Welsh rugby in each others garages but do,
      from what I can tell, nothing to enhance Wales or Welsh culture in Tinsel Town.
      The Welsh Church has been a part of the Welsh scene in Los Angeles for 120 years
      and is truly the very last vestige of Welsh culture in the whole of Southern California.
      We are now reduced to maybe 10 people coming on Sunday. Our average age is above 65 years.
      Twenty years ago our Gymanfa Ganu, held twice year at that time, saw up to 300 attendees, now we are very fortunate to see 150 people once a year. Our Saint David's Day celebration, where we often bring in artists from Wales, is similarly diminishing in attendance. I read sometime ago, and here I paraphrase, the Welsh celebrities in California tout their Welshness when it suits and benefits them and on days of international rugby. Hmm! I wonder.
      Dafydd Evans,
      Los Angeles
      teddytravelerbear@...

      Did you know that the first American novel," The Journal of Penrose, Seaman " was written by a Welshman?
      Did you proud Welsh people in America know that the very first American novel , " The Journal of Penrose, Seaman " was written by a Welshman? His name was William Williams.
      First published in 1815, this current publication is edited by excellent , patriotic Welsh author , Mr Terry Breverton,of St Athan, near Cardiff.
      T D Breverton has also written first class, informative books such as "The Book of Welsh Saints " ; The Book of Welsh Pirates and Buccaneers and books on Welsh pirates, Sir Henry Morgan and Bartholomew "Black Bart "Roberts.
      I think that author , Terry Breverton is worthy of greater support from Welsh folk across the world, so that he can carry on his invaluable work of documenting our history and place in the world.His latest book is about Owain Glyndwr.
      Please tell your friends about his web-site , www.glyndwrpublishing.co.uk . Terry Breverton deserves the support of Welsh people and friends of Wales everywhere.
      Diolch yn fawr iawn. Safwn yn y bwlch !
      Lyn James Jenkins
      Lyn Jenkins
      clynyrynys@...

      Welsh Events in Chicago Summer 2009
      It is shaping up to be another great summer of Welsh events in Chicago! With concerts by Tom Jones, Paul Potts, Los Campesinos!, Bullet For My Valentine, The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir and The Waco Brothers, and a visit by Niall Griffiths the Welsh "Irving Welsh" Chicago is definitely the place to be!
      Special thanks to Tafia member Samantha Everett for sorting us out with the new website:
      www.ChicagoTafia.com
      it's much appreciated!
      David Parry
      welshchicago@...

      Welsh events in Washington June 12 - July 5
      If you want to experience the arts and culture of Wales in the USA,
      come and join us in Washington! Wales is the featured nation at this year�s Smithsonian
      Folklife Festival on and around the National Mall (June 24 - July 5) which will feature singers,
      musicians, poets, craftspeople, sustainable housing, natural remedies, Welsh food and a whole
      host more. In addition, there will be ancillary Welsh events all over the city including film
      screenings, theatre readings, lectures, afternoon teas, concerts and poetry slams.
      Please follow this link
      http://www.wales.com/en/content/cms/English/Smithsonian/Smithsonian.aspx
      for a daily schedule called Washington DC Daily Planner to help you plan your Welsh days out in Washington.

      Travel to Welsh Argentina this October with Mari Morgan
      Journey to Welsh Patagonia
      Buenos Aires, Bariloche, Trevelin, Esquel, Trelew, Puerto Madryn
      October 22 � November 2, 2009 Mosaic Tours
      For more info please contact:
      mari2morgan@...
      www.mosaictours.com

      Menter Iaith Patagonia
      Mae Mentrau Iaith Cymru yn chwilio am grwpiau i deithio Patagonia i hyrwyddo
      diwylliant cyfoes Cymraeg ymysg yr ifanc. Taith gigs a cynnal gweithdai
      offerynnol fyddai�r prif ddyletswyddau. Mi fyddai�n help hefyd petaech yn
      medru rhoi o leiaf 3 wythnos o�r neilltu yn yr hydref i fynd i Dde America .
      Ebostiwch hefin@...
      i gofrestru eich diddordeb.

      Flagstaff
      Arizona Highland Celtic Festival in Flagstaff on July 18th and 19th.
      We will have a booth there and would welcome a visit from you.
      If anyone can help out for a few hours either day please let
      John Good know: 623-939-0209. For more details regarding the festival
      visit the web site:
      http://www.nachs.info
      http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/

      Alabama Welsh
      One of our projects for the summer months is for individuals or small groups of AWA members to attend events & festivals in your community, town, city or county & handout AWA leaflets. This is easily done as you will not have to set-up tents or canopies with tables, chairs or ice-cooler in tow.Just simply walk through the crowd at your chosen event & handout leaflets explaining who we are & that if their names are not on our list perhaps some of their families or friends names are & to please pass the leaflets on to them neighbors or co-workers. Simplier yet, is to just walk around in the parking lot of an event & place the leaflet under their vehicles wiperblade. You`ll be home in no time & AWA information will be in afew more people`s hands. Its not hard to do.
      Also, never miss an opportunity to plug AWA in little local periodicals & newspapers, many have free sections just for this sort of thing.
      Our next meeting is Saturday July 25th 5 PM at Paul`s Bar-b-que about 4 miles north of Pell City, Al. at the intersection of US Hwy. 231 N. & Hyw. 144. So please mark your calendars NOW. See all of you then.
      CYMRU am BYTH !
      Billy E. Price V.P.
      cscitizen@...
      Alabama Welsh Association

      Welsh societies in California
      I was referred to you by Eryl Aynsley after I contacted her asking if she knew of a Welsh Society close to me in San Luis Obispo county. She did not but suggested I contact you as someone who might know and if not, could possibly put a little announcement in your newsletter.
      I was born in Birkenhead in Cheshire and lived from the age of six until nine in Dyserth in Wales before moving back to Birkenhead and later, Southampton. I came to New York in 1966 and moved to california in 1972. All my family is still in the UK with a few of them living in North Wales and the rest in Hampshire and Cornwall.
      Are Welsh roots were Jones and Lewis and on my mother's side: her grandmother did not even speak English, she told me.
      I would appreciate hearing back from you.
      Regards,
      Joie MacAdam
      joiemacadam@...

      Films from Wales in Washington
      I am organising the screenings of films from Wales in Washington to coincide with the
      Smithsonian Festival. I have attached the invitation in the hope you may be able to
      email to your contacts in case anyone is in the area for the Festival and would like to attend?
      Alternatively if you would help us raise the event profile with maybe a link to
      http://www.wales.com/en/content/cms/English/Smithsonian/Smithsonian.aspx
      It would be very much appreciated.
      Diolch yn fawr iawn.
      Cofion cynnes
      Sarah Howells
      Cyfarwyddwr
      Caerdydd
      filmwales@...

      Gregynog Festival
      Please find attached details of Gregynog Festival's programme at the Goethe-Institut in Washington DC, 1-2 July, which I hope will be of interest to you and readers of News from Wales and the World. We are the oldest classical music festival in Wales and have been invited to showcase our work as part of the ancillary cultural programme at this year's Smithsonian Folklife Festival.
      I trust that our recitals will be of particular interest together with our presentation about Alec Templeton two days before the centenary of his birth. All our artists are widely experienced in concert and broadcast work and the performance by the outstanding Moore - Crawford-Phillips piano duo will actually mark their Washington debut.
      The capacity for each of our events is 90 people so do please encourage members of your mailing to contact us asap and we shall gladly set tickets aside. We shall be posting a downloadable PDF of our programme on the Festival website early next week, www.gwylgregynogfestival.org, but please also feel free to forward this attachment as you wish.
      Llawer o ddiolch a chofion cynnes
      Dr Rhian Davies
      Cyfarwyddwraig Artistig / Artistic Director
      Gwyl Gregynog Festival
      mail@...
      www.gwylgregynogfestival.org

      Derby
      Mae'r Cylych Dysgwyr Cymraeg Derby yn mynd i gynnal Ysgol Undydd Cymraeg Derby am y bumed tro eleni ar ddydd Sadwrn 3-10-09, mae'r manylion ar safle we
      http://derbywelshlearnerscircle.blogspot.com/
      Jonathan Simcock
      jonathan_simcock@...

      Ceri Rhys Matthews and Christine Cooper
      On Wednesday 10th June fernhill's Ceri Rhys Matthews and Christine Cooper were guests on Radio 3's 'In Tune' along with poet and ballad singer Daniel Huws. The programme is available to listen to for another day http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kstsp and their section begins the second hour of the two hour progamme. The main focus was the imminent release of ' Blodeugerdd: Song of the flowers, An anthology of Welsh music and song ' which Ceri has just produced for the Smithsonian Folkways label in Washington. More news on that to come..
      ' a wonderful project ' Verity Sharp BBC Radio 3
      ' extraordinary and so important, particularly in these days of mass communication where our entertainment seems to be more and more
      passive. I think people forget that this life goes on all the time and is an underlying narrative and thread ' Sean Rafferty BBC Radio 3
      www.yscolan.info
      www.folkways.si.edu/
      www.myspace.com/christinecoopermusic
      Ceri Rhys Matthews and Christine Cooper / LIVE
      ' Terrific ' Sean Rafferty BBC Radio 3
      24 Jun - 5 july 2009 Smithsonian Folklife Festival Washington DC
      10 Sept 2009 Llanidloes Great oak bookshop
      11 Sept 2009 Pwllheli Neuadd Dwyfor
      12 sept 2009 Dolgellau Theatr fach
      24 Sept 2009 Aberystwyth National Library
      25 Sept 2009 Northwich Folk Club
      26 Sept 2009 Holyhead Ucheldre
      fernhill / LIVE
      ' Don't miss' The observer
      16th July 2009 Cwmparc Rhondda : Parc hall
      18th Sept 2009 St Ives festival Cornwall
      19th Sept 2009 Great torrington Plough arts centre Devon
      09th Oct 2009 Bath Folk club
      23rd Oct 2009 Mold Clwyd room Theatr Clwyd
      25th Oct 2009 Musicport festival Bridlington
      14th Nov 2009 Celtic Night festival Lommel Belgium
      www.myspace.com/fernhillmusic

      Undeb Cymru a'r Byd
      Welsh and friends of Wales from overseas
      This year's National Eisteddfod of Wales will be held from Saturday 1st August to Saturday 8th August at Bala, North Wales. The Gymanfa Ganu will be held on Sunday 2nd August in the main pavilion and will be televised by BBC/S4C.
      The leader of the Welsh and friends of Wales from overseas will be Mrs Chrisitine Boomsma from Melbourne, Australia. She will be introduced to the congregation just prior to the Gymanfa on the Sunday night. The Welcome Ceremony will be held again this year on Wednesday afternoon prior to the Gorsedd Ceremony of awarding the Prose Medal. The International Reception will be held at "Capital Cuisine" Restaurant on the Eisteddfod Maes at 3pm. I would greatly appreciate any information from those of you who intend coming to Bala and to the Reception as we are limited to no more 100. Our Annual lecture on Thursday morning will be given by Sir Emrys Jones-Parry who was the UK Representative at the UN until his retirement last year.
      Undeb Cymru a'r Byd will as usual have a stand on the Maes and those of you coming from overseas are most welcome to call in and see our officials for a chat and cup of tea/coffee.
      We are at present updating our web page. Will inform you when this is completed.
      Carwyn llawer o ddiolch am y cylchlythyr.
      Am y tro,
      Yn ddifuant,
      Bryan
      bryan.jones8@...

      Oceans Apart
      Hardest working Welsh band in North America!
      Schedule for the rest of 2009
      http://www.oceansapartmusic.com/schedule.htm

      Colorado Welsh Society
      The Colorado Welsh Society is pleased to present a program on the Colorado Welsh Miners in Boulder and Weld Counties, Colorado. This program will be held on July 11, 2009, at the College Hill Library, 3705 W. 112th Avenue, Westminster, Colorado. The program is from 3:00 to 4:45 PM. Paul and Carol Lightsey will present this program on
      The advent of coal mining in Colorado began concurrently with the gold rush of 1858-59 that essentially started the European migration into Colorado. By 1870, coal mining was flourishing and the primary economic product of Boulder and Weld counties. By 1900, nearly 2000 Welsh had moved to Colorado; some directly from Wales, but many emigrating first to the coal fields of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania first. This presentation will describe the early history of the role of Welsh coal miners in Colorado and the �Lewis Home - Miner�s Museum� in Lafayette, Colorado.
      This program is free and open to the public. After the program please join members of the Colorado Welsh Society at the Exchange Tavern, 11940 Bradburn Blvd. for dinner, drinks and socializing. Bradburn is a short street running south of 120th Avenue just west of Lowell Street. For more information contact Sam Kuntz, President, Colorado Welsh Society, 303.886.0632 or sam.kuntz@....

      The National Library of Wales visits Washington D.C.
      As a part of this year's prestigious Smithsonian Folklife Festival in Washington, genealogical experts from The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth will be present to advise the visitors on their Welsh ancestry. A special pavilion will be allocated for Welsh Roots where staff from the Library will be able to assist and advise researchers of the genealogical resources available. The Library has always been considered as the foremost resource for all Welsh genealogical research, and its reputation is unsurpassed as a treasure trove of Welsh culture, history and tradition.
      For additional information concerning the Library and its resources visit our website:
      www.llgc.org
      Cyril Evans
      cyril.evans@...
      Swyddog Hyrwyddo
      Communications Officer

      Welsh Battlefield Society
      The programme for 2009 of the Welsh Battlefields Society is as follows:
      16.08.2009 Meeting on Gowerton Common to commemorate the 12c battle of Gower- details later.
      There is also a proposed trip to Raglan Castle in Gwent to investigate the seige of the castle in the 17c English Civil War.
      Best wishes,
      John H. Davies
      sion_cwm_hir@...

      EISTEDDFOD COMPETITIONS AT THE 2009 FESTIVAL OF WALES
      The Eisteddfod Committee of the Welsh National Gymanfa Ganu Association (WNGGA) is thrilled to announce the sponsors for the competitions at the 2009 Festival of Wales Eisteddfod. WNGGA is honoured to recognize all these wonderful people:
      Hymn Singing Competition: The WNGGA Past Presidents� Award
      Solo Voice Competition: Pacific Northwest Welsh Societies Award
      Solo Voice Semi-Professional: The David G. Morris Memorial Award
      Vocal Ensemble: The Edwin Thomas Batton Memorial Prize
      Recitation: The Eisteddfod Committee Award
      Youth Dance: The Ninnau/Y Drych Award
      Adult Dance: The Cambrian Benevolent Society of Chicago Award
      We deeply appreciate their devotion, individually and collectively, to the cultural heritage of Wales and their generosity in financing the awards.
      The Eisteddfod is planned for Friday, September 4th 2009 and Saturday morning September 5th, if necessary, during the Festival at the Pittsburgh Hilton Hotel, in the heart of Pittsburgh, PA. Competitors (that means you, dear reader!) may download the information pack and entry form from the Festival website: www.nafow.org. It provides full information on age, entry and performance requirements, as well as entry fees and prizes for each competition.
      Alternatively obtain the information from WNGGA International Headquarters, P.O. Box 410, Granville, OH 43023. Telephone: 740-587-3936. E-mail: WNGGAHQ@.... Entry forms and accompanying fees must be submitted to WNGGA International HQ by June 26th 2009.
      Questions about the Eisteddfod and the competitions may be directed to:
      Alan Upshall, Chair Tel: 425-488-7288 E-mail: aupshall@...
      Kathy Horstman Tel: 724-774-5658 E-mail: contact2009eisteddfod@...

      Sydney Welsh Choir
      The Sydney Welsh Choir followed its four concerts in March with a busy April including a concert tour to the South Coast of NSW and Canberra over Easter. The choir performed at Narooma Golf Club, at Wolumla Hall for the Sapphire Coast Music Society and in St Andrew's Church, Canberra with the Sing Australia Choir. We also sang the Australian and Welsh national anthems on the marble staircase inside Parliament House, and performed In Flanders Fields and the Australian anthem at the Australian War Memorial. On April 25 we will sing again at the Anzac Day service following the march at Sydney's Anzac Memorial.
      The coming months have fewer concerts but engagements will increase sharply later in the year.
      July 2009
      Saturday 4 July at 8.00pm: Perform with the Tom Jones Experience at Canterbury-Hurlstone Pk Club.
      Photos of the Easter tour and other choir activities can be seen on the choir website, www.swc.org.au - please check it out!
      Kind regards,
      CLIVE WOOSNAM
      clivewoosnam@...

      Cymdeithas Madog: Winter Updates
      Cwrs Goleuni'r Gogledd - The Northern Lights Course
      July 19 - 26, 2009
      Enlighten yourself by learning Welsh under the Northern Lights! Plans are shaping up for the 33rd annual Cwrs Cymraeg Welsh language week, to be held at the University of Alberta, Augustana Campus, in Camrose, Alberta. The lead tutor will be longtime Cwrs teacher Hefina Phillips, a native Welsh speaker who now resides in Ontario, Canada.
      Stay tuned for more updates by visiting the Cwrs 2009 page at:
      http://www.madog.org/cyrsiau/eleni/index.shtml
      If you would like to hold a place on Cwrs Cymraeg 2009, please mail a check or money order for $100, in US funds, to our course Registrar:
      Shirley McKee
      Registrar, Cwrs Cymraeg 2009
      3033 Willowbrook Way
      Beavercreek OH 45431-7702
      registrar@...

      Wales International Business Wales, part of the Welsh Assembly Government, specializes in supporting companies
      with their European expansion plans. Our aim�...to convince you that Wales is worthy of your
      consideration as a place to locate, relocate or expand your business. For further information
      please visit�.. www.ibwales.com. If you would like a copy of our monthly newsletter �Resource: Wales�
      please contact Mel Hiscox at the Wales International Center in New York on
      mel.hiscox@...
      http://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:7609.1225872347/rid:eeecf00c71761bc042a764c91a0275a0

      Cymry Llundain / London Welsh
      Event Guide
      http://www.anoeth.demon.co.uk/digwyddiadur.html
      For further info
      please contact:
      Theo Brueton
      tblw@...

      Wales in London
      Cymru yn Llundain
      http://www.walesinlondon.com/

      If you have any interesting websites associated with Wales/North America and the rest of the world let us know we will give it a link on our next Newsletter!!!!

      Welcome to Siaradcymraeg.com, a website which exists to help people to learn the Welsh language.
      http://www.siaradcymraeg.com/

      CYNGOR POBL GOGLEDD CYMRU
      The People�s Council For North Wales������..Deffro�r Ddraig / Awaken the Dragon
      www.righttobewelsh.com

      NINNAU means "us" or "we also" and is pronounced "nin-eye." Answering the need for a stronger link between the many Welsh communities of North America. http://www.ninnau.com

      Welsh recipe of the week! Any recipes your proud of please let us know and we will share it with the Welsh World!!!!

      Chytni Ffa Dringo
      Runner Bean Chutney
      Ingredients:
      900ml vinegar
      450g brown sugar
      70g flour
      70g mustard powder
      1 tbsp celery salt
      1 tbsp turmeric
      675g runner beans
      Method:
      Combine 775ml of the vinegar with the brown sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil before taking off the heat. Meanwhile, mix the flour, mustard powder and turmeric in a bowl. Add the remainder of the vinegar to his and mix to a smooth paste.
      Trim the runner bean pods and cut at a diagonal into 1cm pieces. Place these in a saucepan with some lightly-salted water and boil for about 20 minutes, or until just tender. Drain the beans then add to the pan with the vinegar along with the celery salt and the mustard paste. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 10 minutes then set aside to cool before bottling in jars that have been sterilized and baked in an oven pre-heated to 120�C for 10 minutes. Seal with vinegar-proof lids then store in a cool, dark, cupboard for at least three weeks to mature before using.

      If you wish to discuss or debate everything about Wales and Welshness please join our Yahoo group. You don't have to be from Arizona or even Welsh to join. Just a healthy interest in the Welsh Current Affairs/Language and Culture -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WelshLanguageofAz

      Gwersi Cymraeg all over the world!!!!!!!!!!

      Pittsburgh
      The Welsh language class sponsored by The St. David's Society of Pittsburgh will begin again for this semester on Wednesday, March 18th and run until Wednesday, May 27th.The classes will be held in Room 1228 at the Cathedral of Learning on Pitt's main campusClasses will begin at 6:30 p.m. and end at 8:00 p.m. There will be a one time fee of $10 used for a gift for the instructor.You can contact me at Reddragondale@... or 412-795-4050 for any additional information.
      Diolch yn fawr iawn,
      Dale P. Richards
      reddragondale@...

      Boston Welsh Lessons - Dysgwch Gymraeg yn Boston
      Aled Llion Jones, currently teaching Welsh at Harvard University, is offering free evening classes in Cambridge. Classes for beginners meet on Wednesday evenings.
      Further details:
      www.freewebs.com/cymrodorion.
      Contact ajones@...
      Diolch yn fawr!
      Aled

      Derby Welsh Learners Circle website and the blog Cymry'r Canolbarth in your next World Wide Welsh News bulletin. The Urls are
      http://derbywelshlearnerscircle.blogspot.com/
      and
      http://cymryycanolbarth.blogspot.com/

      Ontario Canada
      AWR SGWRSIO
      Dewch ac ymunwch gyda ni i sgwrsio yn Gymraeg. �Rydym yn dechrau grwp newydd sydd am gwrdd bob mis i ymarfer yr iaith wrth drafod bob math o bynciau.
      LLE? Tafarn Y Clock Tower, 575 Stryd Bank
      PA AMSER? 7-9 p.m.
      PA DDIWRNOD? nos Lun olaf pob mis
      Bydd croeso cynnes i bawb sydd yn siarad Cymraeg neu yn ei dysgu.
      Mae�r cyfarfod cyntaf am saith o�r gloch, Nos Lun, Ionawr 26.
      Ffoniwch Alison Lawson 613-725-2704 neu Glenson Jones 613-592-8957 am fwy o wybodaeth.
      CALLING ALL WELSH SPEAKERS AND PEOPLE LEARNING TO SPEAK WELSH
      Come and join a new group which is being set up to give everyone the opportunity to speak Welsh on a regular basis. We will meet once a month, on the last Monday of each month from 7-9 p.m. at the Clock Tower Pub, 575 Bank Street. This pub is easily accessible from the Queensway in both directions. Everyone is welcome-please come and support us.
      Our first meeting will be on Monday, January 26th.
      Please phone Alison Lawson 725-2704 or Glenson Jones 592-8957 for more information.
      Paul W. Birt, PhD
      Chaire d'�tudes celtiques,
      Universit� d'Ottawa,
      70, rue Laurier,(131)
      Ottawa,
      K1N 6N5
      Ontario
      Canada
      www.modernlanguages.uottawa.ca/celtic.html
      T�l. (613)562-5800(3767)
      T�l�c/Fax (613)562-5138.

      WELSH CLASSES IN THE BRADFORD AREA, WEST YORKSHIRE
      Sut mae'r hwyl? We are just about to re-start our Welsh classes for 2008/9. The beginners' class starts Monday, 15th September, the advanced class begins on Tuesday, 16th September DYDD OWAIN GLYND^WR! These are both evening classes 7.00 - 9.00 in Keighley. There is also a fortnightly class on a Thursday afternoon, in the homes of the learners in rotation. This is in the North/West Bradford area. Lessons are from 2.00 - 4.00 followed by tea and buns! A monthly Welsh conversation group: Bradford Welsh Clwb Clebran, meets on the second Wednesday of every month from 7.00 onwards at a bar in central Bradford. Contact Eileen Walker
      for further information: 01535 665829/07931 466810
      Jim Walker
      jimwalker@...

      Colorado Welsh Society
      Event date: Sept. 30, 2008
      Welsh Language Classes Start Sept. 30
      The Colorado Welsh Society will offer another year of Welsh language classes, starting Sept. 30 and running through May. Beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels will be taught.
      Classes meet on the campus of the Archdiocese of Denver, at 1300 S. Steele St., conveniently located on Louisiana St. between University Blvd. and Colorado Blvd., a few blocks north of I-25.
      Classes are free to members of CWS, and the Society is open to people from all backgrounds.
      For more information on Welsh language classes, contact Elis Owens 303-427-7188, elism@....

      Toronto
      Dewi Sant Welsh United Church in Toronto,
      This will be the 15th year for the classes. For more information, students can go to the Dewi Sant Welsh United Church website
      http://www.dewisant.com/dosbarth/index.html
      John Otley,
      Tiwtor Cymraeg / Welsh Tutor
      TiwtorCymraeg@...

      Welsh language lessons in the Minneapolis For Welsh language lessons in the Minneapolis areacontact Laurel Bradshaw at llawryf@... . I havestudents at a variety of levels, so feel free to jumpin any time! Time and place is arranged among the students.Laurel Bradshaw llawryf@...

      Awstralia

      Mellbourne, Awstralia
      Come and join the Welsh Classes run by Tafod y Cymry. They are held in
      the city centre at 7.00pm on a Tuesday night at the Celtic Club, 316-320
      Queen St (Cnr Queen and La Trobe Sts). Come to the the Tara Bar for a
      Welsh pint at around 8.45pm. Contact welshaustralian1@... to
      check term dates.

      Sydney, Welsh Classes Learn Cymraeg (Welsh) at West Ryde on Tuesday nights at 7:00 pm (best to arrive at 6:30 pm to socialise with fellow class members beforehand). Easy walk from West Ryde railway station.
      All levels catered for: beginners to advanced.
      For information on language classes please contact Gary O'Shea:
      Tel 02 9807 5265

      Welsh League of Arizona hosts Welsh Classes all year round. For further information please contact them directly - tel: 623 939 0209 or e-mail: AZWELSH@.... For further information about our activities please check out their website: www.welshleagueofarizona.org Want to learn the basics of Welsh check this section: http://www.welshleagueofarizona.org/cymraeg.html

      Welsh Lessons in Chicago Contact Winston Evans at winstone@... for further details of times and locations of Welsh Lessons in the Chicago area.

      Please forward this newsletter to whoever you think might be interested or pass on their e-mail address to us. If you receive duplications please let us know!! We do apologies we have over 19,000 e-mail addresses on the mailing list and growing quickly!!!

      Please sign our guestbook it's great hearing from you - http://www.efreeguestbooks.com/mg/guest.pl?61331:9:0

      Dwedodd Dewi Sant/Saint David said
      "Do the little things"
      "Gwnewch y pethau bychain"