Re: Music! Music! Music!

  • Mark Pippenger
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      --- In CelticCafe@yahoogroups.com, Jolly Jakester <jollyjakester@...> wrote:

      > You know, Mark, traditional music is traditional
      > music. The difference is in how someone arranges the
      > music that makes it sound either traditional or
      > progressive or jazzy or reggae or punk.
      >

      > I was on an Irish newsgroup that discussed Irish trad
      > music and discussions were pretty boring. Like, the
      > difference between Donegal and Galway style of
      > fiddling. It would only be important to a musician
      > who wanted to specialize in a particular style of
      > music, but to most of us -- as listeners -- I'm sure
      > we really don't care about the difference. I know I
      > can't tell the difference between Donegal and Galway
      > style fiddling and I really don't care. I had to
      > leave that group because the air and the discussions
      > were getting too stuffy and stagnant.
      >
      > I enjoy Irish -- and Celtic -- music whether it's
      > played in a traditional style or a progressive style.
      > So open up and don't be so narrow-minded.
      >
      > Jake

      Jake,

      To belittle the importance of regional styles in Irish traditional music is to betray a
      singular lack of understanding of the very nature of traditional music--no offense
      intended (though I'm sure it will be taken), I didn't understand that for a long time myself.
      There is a new program on TG4, a six-part series, that will be exploring those same
      regional styles that you find so "boring." You should watch it, Jake. It's called, "Canuinti
      Ceoil" (fadas left out to avoid confusing different computers), and it should be posted on
      TG4's Web TV feature pretty soon (the first episode ran last night, and included an
      interesting discussion about whether in fact ITM can survive the feared loss of regional
      styles--and don't worry, for those of us who don't speak Irish--me first on that list--there
      are English subtitles, though amusingly they also have English subtitles when the
      interviewee is speaking English). The next episode, set to run on October 7, focuses on
      the Sliabh Luachra style of playing.

      In fact, there are a good few programs on TG4 about music, and some of these focus on
      Irish traditional music. You can watch them via the internet (broadband is best, it's
      streaming video) and it will work on either Macs or on Windoze machines. Just go to

      http://www.tg4.ie

      and click the "WebTV" link on the menu, then the "Cartlann" or menu for "Ceol" or music,
      and you'll find several interesting programs (not all about trad).

      Mark
    • Odarka Stockert
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        We hello, Louise, I'd love to chat with you about this.. can we do
        this w/o a trip to MAss. I paly both Traditional Celtic harp (solo
        or with other instruments) and then I play with that Rock Band (non-
        Traditional) you can email me directly at to discuss further.
      • Luis Porretta
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
          Speaking of music and this is aimed at any posters living in the Vancouver,
          BC area, Danny O�Keefe is giving a rare performance at the Alix Goolden Hall
          on October 11th. 8:00pm. Tickets $24.00 at the door or at the McPherson
          booking office http://www.rmts.bc.ca/. Danny is accompanied by Joel Tepp (ex
          Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt) and special guest is Gerry Barnum.

          Should be a good evening.

          Luis
        • Ayne
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
            Louise, if Mark Pippenger is featured on your radio show, plese give equal time to others with a more varied background and expertise in Celtic Music.

            Ayne

            Louise Dunphy <celticcrossings@...> wrote:
            Greetings Fellow Celtic Culture and Music Lovers.

            As some know but not all of you I am the producer and host of the radio show Celtic Crossings on WMUA 91.1 FM Amherst, Massachusetts. My show airs every Friday noon until 2:30 PM and can be streamed from the web at http://www.wmua.org . The current conversaation about traditional vs popular and what is authentic and what is not authentic is fascinitating. Last time we explored this topic I asked if anyone wanted to come on my show and discuss the subject. That invitation still holds.

            It may be more efficient if you send me your comments and opinions in an email or record it in an MP3 and I can air them on my show. Anytime we talk openly on this subject and express our opinions we do a service to this music we all love, admire and enjoy so much. It is the root of most music as I have come to believe in my studies. It speaks to me and the DNA of my cells like no other experience. After some live performances I actually feel physically healthier.

            When this subject comes up with myself and guests on my show I always end my thoughts with something Maura O'Connell said on my show two years ago, "It's all good." When I asked Paddy Maloney two and half years ago why he was so supportive of my wee little new show he said, "we must support it all to keep it alive." Just yesterday I had Alan Reid of 'Battlefield Band' on with me while he was en route to a gig and talking to me on air from his cell phone. Just after that I had the Celtic rockers 'Barleyjuice" from Philadelphia with me. Those two bands play 'Pipes In The Valley Festival' today in Hartford, CT, along with 'North Sea Gas'. What a line up ...something for everyone. I see that Michael Londra has weighed in here on this subject also. Checkout Michael... he brings a tear to your eye and a warmth to your heart when he sings anything. Michael is one of my all time favorite guest. Michael let's do an interview when you are coming to Pittsfield!

            I do not have time here to cover the Cape Breton musicians I adore and admire. But I will tell you Natalie MacMaster is a frequent guest. I wil be going next week to Celtic Colours.

            Please write or MP3 me with your thoughts on the current state of Celtic music in the United States.

            Oh and next Friday 'Enter The Haggis' and 'The Elders' will be holding court on the airways with me. They are doing a tour of Ireland together soon. I still remember the first time I saw 'Enter The Haggis', Craig Downey entered the stage accompanying a rock song with the pipes. Rock was rebirthed for me that day. These days I find myself prefering Celtic rock'n roll. Heard Black 47 live recently? Oh yeah yeah!!

            Oh and to you Emperor - welcome - I have a friend Lester who is Phillipino American and plays guitar with the Celtic fusion band 'Coyote Run' of Virginia. Fabulous..again Oh yeah yeah!

            Email me at celticcrossings@... and perhaps I can talk Bernadette into being on the show with me to read and share your comments. What do you say Bernadette?

            In Peace, Louise
            Host/Celtic Crossings
            WMUA 91.1 FM Amherst, MA
            Fridays 12-2:30 PM

            **EDIT NOTE from Bernadette: Thanks, Louise, but there are voices made for radio, and mine ain't one of 'em! ;-)

            Regarding Black 47, I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Larry Kirwan. He's so multi-talented! Has anyone here seen his new play, "The Heart Has a Mind of Its Own"? Premiering this month in NYC. Check out Larry's "Celtic Lounge" for more info:

            http://www.celticlounge.com/news/templates/?a=80&z=2