RE: [CayugaTrailsClub] opening up the listserv

  • Barbara Morley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2003
      Hi Jennifer and all,

      As it is set up now, this will be a regular email listserv (there is a chat
      feature, though I've never used one and am not sure how it works....). Any
      messages that are sent to CayugaTrailsClub@yahoogroups.com will go to the
      email address you've specified in your Yahoo Groups registration for that
      group.

      It seems to me that there are 4 options which might accomplish the goal of
      reducing or eliminating messages to your work email account:

      One is to go to your Yahoogroups.com membership page for the Trails Club
      group, and edit your message delivery preferences to be "daily digest" or
      which would send you one message each day that there were any messages
      (some days there may be none).

      The second option is to set the message delivery for "No email" which would
      maintain your membership in the yahoo group, but you would go to the yahoo
      trails club web site to read the messages.

      A third option is to create and use a yahoo email account with message
      delivery preferences set to receive email at that yahoo address (e.g.
      jmuir@...). This would let you read your email from any yahoo
      listserv (or anyone to whom you give that email address) in one place on
      the yahoo web site. I'm on several listservs like the finger lakes forest
      watch and a regional archives email list, that are yahoo based, and get
      that mail all together at the yahoo email web site, when and if I check
      that site.

      And finally, you can sign off the list and not participate in this email
      discussion. I would assume that official announcements and requests would
      continue to be issued on the official members list (hikes, work parties,
      social events...) and that the yahoo site would be an unofficial
      communication link, though discussions may duplicate some of the official
      notices.

      If none of these seem like good options, I'd appreciate hearing your "best
      case scenario" so that we can try to make it happen. I'm sure that others
      will have similar concerns.

      Barb

      At 05:24 PM 4/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >Barb,
      >
      >I was under the impression this was going to be a chat site on our web we
      >could check out when we want to. Is is going to be constant messages
      >coming to our email boxes instead? Mine is a work email address, so this
      >will be a problem for me. Perhaps you can clarify.
      >
      >Jennifer
      >
      > > ----------

      Barbara Morley, Media Curator,
      Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation and Archives,
      School of Industrial and Labor Relations,
      227 Ives Hall,
      Cornell University,
      Ithaca, New York 14853-3901
      Phone: 607-255-3183
      Fax: 607-255-9641
      http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/library/kheelcenter/
    • Jennifer Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17, 2003
        Hi, Barb

        These seem like plenty of options for everyone.

        Jennifer