same old tire question, again :-)

  • john_fader
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      My wife's 98 Catera needs tires again (103K miles, three sets gone).

      Last trip we bought Dunlop SP2a. Decent price, $536/4, but got only
      20K miles. To be fair, the bushings needed replacing and I got that
      done only about half-way through the tire life, but still, they
      wouldn't have lasted *that* much longer.

      I about bought Michelin Pilot XGT H4 based upon a tire shop recco, but
      read online reviews and found they had poor tread life as well.

      OK, I have the bushings replaced and a brand-new 4-wheel alignment
      done and am ready to get something that will last. I checked the
      alignment specs in the Files section, and they match exactly what the
      Hunter machine at Sears says. The alignment fellow knows his business
      according to our regional rep, and he got everything within spec (just
      barely on the rear, as the non-adjustable figures were out so much
      that it nearly wouldn't come in).

      I read Cateraowners suggestion on the ContiExtremeContact, and the
      tire is much lowe priced than anything else I've seen recco'ed. This
      car will never be driven over 85 mph, and that only in a passing
      situation, so very high speed rating isn't necessary. I *do* want good
      wet traction as I think these lousy low-profile tires are a
      hydroplaning death just waiting to happen. I'd really like to have 75
      profile tires except for what it would do to the gearing and speedo
      reading.

      Anyway, is the Conti recco the best for what we'll want to get from
      the next set? This is my wife's "pernament car" so we hope to get
      decent wear out of our next sets.

      Your advice is greatly appreciated.

      Cheers/johnfader
    • tjprog
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        Hi John,
        yeah Dunlop, decent price,not a decent mileage
        almost $110 a tire for 20K mi - thats "horror story"
        Try Kumho HP4 235/55/16 - Discount Tire-$82 a piece
        free balance/rotation/flat repair nationwide.
        So far got about 6-7K on it no signs of wear at all.
        Had a few long trips, going up to 110mi/hr, nice
        performance, wet/dry traction.
        Got tired of big names poor quality!!!
        Kumho makes tires for race cars.
        Good luck!