Re: trade-in values - - brake pad replacement

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      Brake pads are pretty easy to change - just like most other GM cars,
      except my 98 had metric bolts on the calipers (GMs usaully have a
      torx). The only complication is the electic wear sensors that fit in
      a small hole in the brake pad. When the pad gets thin, a small wire
      in the sensor wears away and opens a circuit, which triggers the
      light on the dash. My sensors were removed by the PO and the wires
      twisted together to turn the light off. Apparently if the sensors
      are still good, you can carefully remove and replace them. I did not
      replace the sensors on my car, since they are a bit spendy and I just
      check the pad wear when I rotate the tires (tires should be rotated
      regularily on the Cat due to abnormal front tire wear on some cars).
      If you have squealing and no light on the dash, I would take a look
      pronto, since these pads do not have squealers, so you may be down to
      the backing plate.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Manke" <soopmanke@h...>
      wrote:
      > Last July I purchased my Catera with 53000 for $7560 in the
      Milwaukee