any good extended warranties

  • mv6catera
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
      My '97 Catera will be out of the GM certified warranty on 10/28. I
      have posted before to try to get a reference on a good extended
      warranty but I have yet to read about any company that gets a good
      review by all. If anyone has had a good experience with their
      company please post a reference - I really want to get a warranty
      soon - I wish I could extend the GM certified plan but my
      understanding is that six years from date of delivery is all you can
      do. Thanks everyone!
    • Peter Alex
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
        I don't think there are any pain free warranties out there. The marketing departments of the companies are sooooooo different in tone than the "claims" side. That's where the reality sets in. I wish I could recommend a "professional" one , but I can't.

        mv6catera <mwandishin1@...> wrote:
        My '97 Catera will be out of the GM certified warranty on 10/28.  I
        have posted before to try to get a reference on a good extended
        warranty but I have yet to read about any company that gets a good
        review by all.  If anyone has had a good experience with their
        company please post a reference - I really want to get a warranty
        soon - I wish I could extend the GM certified plan but my
        understanding is that six years from date of delivery is all you can
        do.   Thanks everyone!

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • XNYR58@cs.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
          I too am in the same boat as you, my present Warranty expires on 10/26, (I've got a 98 with 45.5K). I guess the result I've found is the guy with the least bad complaints. So far that seems 1source. There are many good recommendations for these guys on various websites (not just their own), but there are some horror stories. Interestingly there is one of each on this forum by one person who had 1 good and one bad experience.
          There is an 'exclusionary' warranty out there from autowarranties.com that seems to have great coverage but I can't find any good or bad info about them so I'm a bit leery. There is also an outfit called Pioneer Warranties which seems to be very good from all directions but they are $400-$700 higher than most which puts them higher than I can afford.
          Also out there is ewarrantys, similar to Pioneer right down to the same reinsurer (Heritage, which has either an extremely good rep or incredible marketing). They are almost $800 cheaper than Pioneer but I am reminded of the adage about getting what you pay for.
          It all boils down to the administrator, if they know cars, what it takes to fix them and if they are honest and upfront in presenting and executing the warranty or spend more time looking for loopholes.
          Don't know if this dissertation helps, but there it is!
        • Peter Alex

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
              Has anyone heard anything about The Eagle Warranty Corporation?  I bought a 97 Catera from a dealer via Ebay about 3 weeks ago and he included a 3 month/4500 mile warranty with the vehicle.  I'm wondering if I should extend it or not.  I looked online at some of the companies that were recommended and found on one (Source 1) it came back with "unfortunately we do not cover Cadillacs at this time" or something to that affect.  The other one (autowarranties.com) said it did cover vehicles with over 60,000 miles - I have 86,500.  Any feedback is appreciated!  Thanks!

              P.S.  Here is Eagle Warranty's pricing for the "Standard Coverage":

              3 Mons/4500 miles $86.40
              6 Mons/9000 miles $141.75
              12 Mons/18000 miles $243.00

              Deductible not to exceed $100.00

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
                      From: Dan Kroeger
                      EXTENDED WARRANTIES:

                      There has been many, many past instances where Catera Owners have posted requesting recommendations for good and reliable After Warranty Policies. I will have to say that most of the responses are negative due to Warranty Co harassment not only to the Catera Owners, but the car repair dealers as well.

                      In my case I purchased a 2000 Catera. After reviewing Catera Owners Group I immediately recognized that that purchasing an extended warranty was mandatory. I started out by searching the Web, checking out Better Business Bureau (BBB), etc.

                      On 5/30/2003, I called Kristen McAllon with Pioneer Warranty Group (1-800-916-8098 ext. 8041)
                      I choose Pioneer Warranty Group and obtained policy as follows:
                      $1,773.38
                      2000 Cadillac Catera; 17,953 miles; VIN: W06VR54R4YR128641
                      Plan Quoted: 5/60 Vcare Ultimate New
                      (5 more years or 60,000 total miles)
                      Deductible: $50.00
                      Policy end-date: 1 June 2008

                      Unfortunately for me, I totaled out the Catera 8/29/2003. I never submitted any claims to Pioneer Warranty and therefore
                      Have no feedback as to reliability. However, regarding good business practice, due to totaling out the Catera, Pioneer refunded the entire purchase amount minus $35.00. Pioneer also informed me that since the 2002 Nissan Frontier XE Long Cab only had 6,000 miles on it and a 3 YR/36K Bumper-to-Bumper Factory Warranty and 5 YR/60K Power Train Factory Warranty it was recommended that I call back to obtain another extended warranty around the November, 2004 time frame.

                      Bottom Line: In my opinion, without having any personal experience regarding submitted claims, Pioneer Warranty is head & shoulders above most of the Catera Owners posts I have observed.

                      Good Luck To All:
                      Dan Kroeger

                      From: Peter Alex <peteralex4@...>
                      Date: 2003/10/02 Thu AM 08:34:06 EDT

[...]