Re: [CateraOwners] LOW COOLANT WARNING LIGHT

  • Darryl May
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2003
      My coolant indicator is on but my coolant level looks fine. It's the
      appropriate when cold and running. Is there a sensor that possibly needs
      replacing. I did notice my level is low when after I turn my car off but as
      soon as I open the top it goes up to the appropriate level.

      any ideas?

      >From: "Chad" <RX7351W@...>
      >To: <CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [CateraOwners] LOW COOLANT WARNING LIGHT
      >Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:29:39 -0400
      >
      >It will be fine as long as you don't have a leak and can deal with the
      >light on.
      >
      >Really you should never need to add coolant unless you have a leak.
      >Sometimes you will have to add some after a job that requires the coolant
      >to be drained because of air pockets in the cooling system. Normal driving
      >will get rid of any air pockets.
      >
      >Chad

    • Chad
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2003
        Your coolant level sensor is bad. It is in the tank. The only way to fix
        it is to replace the coolant reservoir or disconnect the electrical plug
        under the tank and then connect the 2 wires. I fixed one this way when a
        customer didn't want a new reservoir by using a blue wire connector that you
        would use when you add a new wire to an existing wire. This way the new
        blue connector can be removed and it will be back like the factory had it.

        Chad

        > My coolant indicator is on but my coolant level looks fine. It's the
        > appropriate when cold and running. Is there a sensor that possibly needs
        > replacing. I did notice my level is low when after I turn my car off but
        as
        > soon as I open the top it goes up to the appropriate level.
        >
        > any ideas?
        >

        > >From: "Chad" <RX7351W@...>
        > >To: <CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: Re: [CateraOwners] LOW COOLANT WARNING LIGHT
        > >Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:29:39 -0400
        > >
        > >It will be fine as long as you don't have a leak and can deal with the
        > >light on.
        > >
        > >Really you should never need to add coolant unless you have a leak.
        > >Sometimes you will have to add some after a job that requires the coolant
        > >to be drained because of air pockets in the cooling system. Normal
        driving
        > >will get rid of any air pockets.
        > >
        > >Chad

      • Darryl May
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2003
          Thanks for the info.

          One other question....

          My idle seems to hesitate. Are there any vacuum lines I can check?

        • Chad
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2003
            I don't know which ones would cause a hesitation idle but the vacuum lines
            that I have seen that like to brake are on the vacuum brake booster. They
            are the small lines under the bigger line. It will make more since when you
            look at the car.

            Chad

            > My idle seems to hesitate. Are there any vacuum lines I can check?
            >

            > >From: "Chad" <RX7351W@...>
            > >To: <CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: Re: [CateraOwners] LOW COOLANT WARNING LIGHT
            > >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:17:18 -0400
            > >
            > >Your coolant level sensor is bad. It is in the tank. The only way to
            fix
            > >it is to replace the coolant reservoir or disconnect the electrical plug
            > >under the tank and then connect the 2 wires. I fixed one this way when a
            > >customer didn't want a new reservoir by using a blue wire connector that
            > >you
            > >would use when you add a new wire to an existing wire. This way the new
            > >blue connector can be removed and it will be back like the factory had
            it.

            > >Chad

            Service.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
              thanks.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2003
                Where should the idle be in accordance with the RPM's? Mine is right around
                2 ticks above the zero mark. I thought this seemed a little low.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Does anyone know a good catera mechanic in the Kansas City, Missouri area?
                  My dealer just told me they think my head gasket is about to give. I've
                  been noticing a slight hesistation at idle but I don't seem to be losing any
                  coolant. They initially thought it was the spark plugs and a bad set of
                  wires. They replaced both and no change. I mean no change back to me.
                  They said, well I guess that wasn't it. They proposed to credit the wire
                  and plug repair to the head gasket repair. The total charge would be around
                  $3000.

                  Is there a quick test I can do to verify this is the problem?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
                    Chad,

                    It's apparently my head gasket. Any quick test I can do to verify this is
                    the problem? The dealer is wanting to charge me around $3000 to fix it.
                    They replaced the plugs and wires and determined this wasn't causing the
                    hesitation at idle but I was still charged. Any ideas you can provide will
                    be helpful.
                    I'm on the verge of trading it in but don't want to because it's paid off.

                  • dontmailmey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
                      I have noticed the same thing. I just recently had to replace the
                      battery (yesterday) but I also just got the car, since then the
                      check engine light is off, but the idle is still about 500rpm. Im
                      assuming this is normal, but does anyone else have any input on
                      this?:
                      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl May" <dmay_67@h...>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
                        Are you loosing coolant? if you are you can test the antifreeze for exhaust
                        gasses. You might beable to do a leak down test but that will also test
                        your piston rings.

                        I would trade it or wait till it fails. How bad is your hesitation?
                        Usually bad plugs and wires will just make it miss.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
                          Chad,

                          The hesistation isn't to bad at idle. You can't even notice it when
                          accelerating. The dealer did say the coolant was a little low. I checked
                          it before I took it in. When the car was running the coolant appeared low.
                          I turn the car off the level was still low until I took the cap off the
                          coolant container. The coolant would go to the proper level.

                          I was thinking about taking it to another dealer for a second opinion and
                          disputing the charges for the plug wires and plugs through my credit card
                          company.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
                            Its normal for the coolant level to go down a little when the system is
                            pressurized. When the system is pressurized the hoses expand some so they
                            hold more coolant.