Advice about selling 2000 Catera

  • jeanne.leaman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2013

      Hi, My son's 2000 Catera has been off the road for a year now, the victim of a botched repair job to replace the Heater Core.  The so-called mechanic caused a multitude of electrical issues as a result of removing the dash to do this work.  Now heater doesn't work, AC doesn't work...no radio...that is just a start.  The dash was never put back together properly and the steering wheel is not mounted properly.  My son is sick about the whole thing and just wants the car gone (finally has agreed that we aren't in a position to spend any more money on this car).  We are asking $450 for the car...as is, and will even include the GM service manuals.  Is this a fair price?  Mechanically the car is sound, and the heater core was replaced (although I wish now it had never been done!).  We are looking for advice....thanks.

    • Kal Somogyvary
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
        The Mechanic who " botched " the job should buy the car !! With this car I have to
        pre-screen the repair facility to " validate " their competancy. If I smell a rat then I hoof
        it outta there. I had just done this with an alignment shop and they still messed up.

        Enough commentary.

        For your grief and agony $450 won't cover it but unfortunately there is a fire sale on
        all Cateras' built in Germany, parts. So that is definately in the salvage range. For those
        of us who maintain their high mileage cars, that offer would be a god send. If it has a
        low mileage clean engine it is definately worth that.

        Lemme guess, . . the " pink " coolant in the engine's cooling system, gelled, plugged up
        the heater core and stopped the heat. And you were servicing it for that !!

        Same thing happened to me and I just bought 2 12V ceramic heaters for the winter mos.
        I do not like it "hot" in the passenger compartment anyway. So for 2 winters I got
        by. I bought the 2nd Catera that was properly serviced by a repair campaign and the
        " Dexcool " was replaced with the green glycol stuff. Now I have heat galore. But,
        the side tank on the rad split.  Murphy was hard at work on the building/design of
        this car.
                      Kal.