RE: How to disconnect EBTCM wiring harness connector on 1999 Catera - Urgent, Please Help!

  • Ralph Manning
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2013
      Hi Cleveland!

      Thanks so much for the info, and for the reply! It's been almost 3 months since my post(s). I was wondering if anyone would ever respond. Will give it a try!

      Take Care,

      Ralph
    • Kal Somogyvary
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2013
        Hey Ralph,
                            I do recall a response in there some where and I did a little research
        about the EBTCM for me here in Canada. I " may " be having to service mine
        as the communication fault exists with mine and has to be " refreshed " amongst
        other things.

         here is what I found - for me :

         http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180837109358?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

         Not having had to deal with removal I cannot advise you on the unit and its'
        handling but I have done the PTCM  and it was a piece of cake. I believe it
        to be somewhat larger as well.  I have a " late " 97 that was outfitted for the
        U.S. market but was brought to Canada.  Just finished replacing the crank
        position sensor to correct a stall in gear condition.

         Feel free to post your results on this forum I'm sure other would be interested in
        hearing of the outcome. I have 151,000 miles on my Cat and look to take it another
        50,000.

         Cheers and good luck.

         Kal.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2013

          I just removed my EBTCM form my 01 Catera, and it was a beast to pull that thing through the brake lines and out of what little opening there is.  The harness is not that hard if it is the same on your car.  I have the factory manual, which confused me because the drawing of the harness was somewhat backwards and/or wrong.  If your have the manual picture, the tab you have to pullout is on the other side of the harness compared to the picture.  The tab was on the same side the wires come out, is reddish in color and comes out about 1 1/4 inch.  Hope this helps.  If you need the picture, let me know.  I'm sending mine off to BBA Reman.

          ---In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, <rmannmsi@...> wrote:

          Hi!

          We're sending this again, as after a month, or so, we received no reply, and time is of the essence!

          We are puzzled on how to disconnect the EBTCM wiring harness connector on our 1999 Catera! There is supposed to be a 'tabbed' connector at the end, that you slide out, allowing for the pulling out of the connector, but, as far as we can see, there is not, and the end is smooth and flush.

          We saw a note earlier that the tabbed 'latch' has 'pink' sides. We do seem to observe pink colored sides, but they are not joined together, and we see no way of grasping the 'flush' ends, to possibly pull them out.

          We cannot renew our Registration until the R and R on the EBTCM is completed to solve a 'Check Engine' light error and other resultant malfunctions, so frequently discussed in this, and other forums. The City has 'tagged' us, so we are under a time limit. Thanks in advance for your expeditious and efficacious help. It is MUCH appreciated.

          Take Care,

          Ralph