RE: How to disconnect EBTCM wiring harness connector on 1999 Catera - Urgent, Please Help!

  • clevelandmeeks
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2013

      Ralph

      The best way to remove the unit is 1st loosen the side bolts holding the complete unit between the heat shields or spread open the shield. Then pry unit up about 45 degrees lines and all. This will give you a good view, Take a screwdriver and push level or latch out to the right and main harness should come loose the smaller one on left is ABS connection can e unplug. remove thee six screws and take out.

      Cleveland

      --- In cateraowners@yahoogroups.com, <rmannmsi@...> wrote:

      Hi!

      We're sending this again, as after a month, or so, we received no reply, and time is of the essence!

      We are puzzled on how to disconnect the EBTCM wiring harness connector on our 1999 Catera! There is supposed to be a 'tabbed' connector at the end, that you slide out, allowing for the pulling out of the connector, but, as far as we can see, there is not, and the end is smooth and flush.

      We saw a note earlier that the tabbed 'latch' has 'pink' sides. We do seem to observe pink colored sides, but they are not joined together, and we see no way of grasping the 'flush' ends, to possibly pull them out.

      We cannot renew our Registration until the R and R on the EBTCM is completed to solve a 'Check Engine' light error and other resultant malfunctions, so frequently discussed in this, and other forums. The City has 'tagged' us, so we are under a time limit. Thanks in advance for your expeditious and efficacious help. It is MUCH appreciated.

      Take Care,

      Ralph
    • Ralph Manning
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2013
        Hi Cleveland!

        Thanks so much for the info, and for the reply! It's been almost 3 months since my post(s). I was wondering if anyone would ever respond. Will give it a try!

        Take Care,

        Ralph
      • Kal Somogyvary
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2013
          Hey Ralph,
                              I do recall a response in there some where and I did a little research
          about the EBTCM for me here in Canada. I " may " be having to service mine
          as the communication fault exists with mine and has to be " refreshed " amongst
          other things.

           here is what I found - for me :

           http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180837109358?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

           Not having had to deal with removal I cannot advise you on the unit and its'
          handling but I have done the PTCM  and it was a piece of cake. I believe it
          to be somewhat larger as well.  I have a " late " 97 that was outfitted for the
          U.S. market but was brought to Canada.  Just finished replacing the crank
          position sensor to correct a stall in gear condition.

           Feel free to post your results on this forum I'm sure other would be interested in
          hearing of the outcome. I have 151,000 miles on my Cat and look to take it another
          50,000.

           Cheers and good luck.

           Kal.

          Thanks so much for the info, and for the reply! It's been almost 3 months since my post(s). I was wondering if anyone would ever respond. Will give it a try!

          Take Care,

          Ralph

        • overplayed4049