Broken timing belt part 2

  • rydrew55
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2013
      My post never got through (waiting for moderator I guess)
      Anyway, I figured it out. Took off the PS pump and disconnected the air pipe at the rubber hose. Driver side head came out with manifold and air pipe attached. Off to the machine shop with both heads. Driver side had a lot more damage. All pistons showed nicks and all the valves were deformed. Hope this helps someone........RYDREW55
    • Russ
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2013
        RYDREW55 I just did this job in the spring time and I was able to pull both heads off with manifolds attached but fortunately my belt wasn't broke I had a bad head gasket. I rotated the engine before starting the job to the timing marks which helped tremendously. Also I did not use any special tools to realign and install belt. If you have any questions about putting back together hit me up...rustyyb703@...

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, rydrew55 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > My post never got through (waiting for moderator I guess)
        > Anyway, I figured it out. Took off the PS pump and disconnected the air pipe at the rubber hose. Driver side head came out with manifold and air pipe attached. Off to the machine shop with both heads. Driver side had a lot more damage. All pistons showed nicks and all the valves were deformed. Hope this helps someone........RYDREW55

      • Robert Cavanaugh jr
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2013
          Wonderful. So these are interference heads. I wish they'd make all heads non-interference to prevent just this scenario from happening. A mess of bent valves and possibly a cracked head or two, jeez. Good luck to you. Mine is currently sitting up with a slipping tranny. Low on fluid(hope) or something worse(shudder), don't know yet. Have to drop the cross-member and lower the tranny just to get to the filler on top. Great design. A friend suggested removing the cooling line from the radiator and sticking in a bottle of tranny fluid(expensive Dex VI of course) and let the car suck it in. :D

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2013
            Thanks. Made a lot of progress. Heads cleaned and machined. Installed all new valves. Heads back on the block. Normal Valve spring compressor did not fit this engine. manual Says you need an adapter. No way to get it so I cut two windows in a piece of black tube just like the real tool. Worked like a charm to get those retainers in.

            NEW PROBLEM !!!

            I might have mixed up the exhaust and intake cams. The manual says there is blue paint on the on the intake cam and green on the exhaust cam. No fgiggin way. It probably wore off after 240,000 miles. It says there is also casting code. B or G for intake, and A for exhaust. Mine have A1, A5, E3, and E5. Are you kidding me!!!!

            What now?

            I have done the belt before at 110,000 miles, so I should be OK if I can figure out the cams. If not, I wonder how long before they disintegrate or burn up.

            Appreciate any advice.