Re: Need input on price please

  • cateraowners
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
      This one would qualify as...whatever someone might pay you for it, if you can find a buyer, period. The repairs you mentioned would cost more than the retail price of the car. Good luck.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "dwkerux" <dwinder@...> wrote:

      > I am planning on selling my 2000 black Catera Sport and looking for input on what I should ask for it. It has 150,000 miles and some issues: AC doesn't work, rear windows don't work, rear spoiler broke off, the heater control valve is leaking again (have replaced it 3 or 4 times), there is a shimmy in at about 60 mph, heated seats do not work, the float in the coolant reserve tank broke off. Never had any problems with the motor.
      >
      > Thanks

    • Robert Cavanaugh jr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
        I paid 1500 for my 1999 and the only problem you mentioned that mine has is the AC. The rear windows didn't work but neither of us knew that. I fixed those for under $100 with used regulators from pick n pull. Took about 2 hrs. What is funny is if you look at ebay and craigslist the car is worth more in parts than as a running car. I've sen engines (3.0) from 600-1500 dollars, depending on mileage.
        Rear spoiler can be had at pick n pull or similar yard, not sure of price.
        Float in coolant tank is easy. It is part of the cap and unplugs. another junkyard item
        Heater control valve on mine took me about 2 hours. That seems to be a common problem.
        The shimmy could just be a tire out of balance. cheap to have that checked. Better to know for sure.
        Heated seats could be a fuse, bad switch, or bad heating elements. I'd check the fuse and switch first as it is multiple seats not working.
        I'm not sure what state you live in but if you want to sell it as a whole car I would fix some of the problems with it or the pure number of problems will scare off potential buyers, or have them offering you next to nothing for the car. You may find somebody like me that can fix the problems and want to buy it and make a profit (hopefully) but again you would have to sell it for so little you would be insulted. I believe auto junkyards will pay you about 300-400 if it drives. If you can do it yourself though, I would try to fix easy problems first.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2013
          Quite often the issues with the A/C is the actual valve stem in the
          fill port on the lo pressure line. The seal usually goes and leaks out the
          refrigerant. Less than 10 bucks at Rock Auto on-line.

          Cheers,
                         K.

          http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1251964&cc=1313753