Re: [CateraOwners] Progress on head gasket job

  • Russ Blumer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2013
      Yes the cams moved after taking them to the machine shop, I never said they stayed where they were. You have to remove the exhaust cam to get to the headbolts underneath. I think they stayed in place after i put the cam gear back on because the lifters were bled down from cleaning.  The machine shop is called B&R speed shop in Louisville KY btw. I started the engine and she fired right up with no special tools or towing to dealer. I ran it for about 10 minutes monitoring oil pressure and coolant level and temp gauge. The lifters created quite a fuss till they pumped up and then she quited down to a nice purr.

           I ran it till the electric fan kicked on and it seemed fine no leaks. I have yet to drive it i just bought four rotors and both sets of pads everything there looks rough from sitting for three years so not taking a chance. So with that being said I will break down what i have in it compared to your 1800.00 head job..... head set, head bolts, thermostat, spark plugs, wire set, water pump, battery, head machining, four rotors, both sets of pads, air filter, cabin filter, serpentine belt,two gallons coolant, oil change......plus what i payed for the car ....................1300.00$ U.S.

           And by the way thanks to the guy who said "say a prayer and cross your fingers" not quite the advice i was looking for
    • Kal Somogyvary
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
        I'm glad you reported back with your experience, and it was a
        happy one for you I'm sure. That $1800 figure included quite a
        few parts which are too numerous to list, such as new head bolts,
        oil cooler, serpentine belt, water pump and on. Also the heads
        were treated to a 3 angle valve grind since the guy preps cars
        for rally racing. The sad part is he did not know about the Dexcool
        gelling while exposed to atmosphere and left the block " open "
        while he worked on the engine. This started the coolant ( fluorescent
        orange liquid )  on it's way to plugging the heating circuit and
        core.

        That car went to my mechanic's farm after 3 winters with no heat.
        And, as a result the engine cooked itself. My next Catera was identical
        except is was sold in Atlanta and had the Technical Service Bulletin
        work performed properly ( read normal propylene glycol coolant )
        and it hasn't skipped a beat. I am at 150k miles and no signs of it
        slowing down. I picked up that car for $1300 as well with a spare set
        of winter tires and rims.

        Once the brakes are installed and the chassis " tuned " I'm sure you
        will enjoy driving it as I have. Good mileage too. You did make
        a calculated risk by " eyeballing " the cams but you're that good.
        I knows fellas who can't align it on a single shaft Hyundai !!

        Please resist the temptation to do burn outs and you're good to go.

         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gy4BUiNsLY

        Stay in touch brother.

        K.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
          Hey K....

               Sorry if I seemed a bit hostile with my previous reply. Yes I did take a huge chance with the timing belt I've done belts on Volkswagen, hyundai, and many more .  I have driven the car a few times now that I have insurance and tags on it and it seems to be doing pretty good. I have finished replacing the broken rear window regulator, found all the missing chrome and body parts got them installed. The third brake light and rear panel light have been replaced with working non cracked ones also. Headlights have had a restoration buff and polish as well. Going to detail shop in the next few weeks to remove the musty smell and tree sap.

               The check engine light has come on and has set two oxygen sensor codes I'm guessing from crud that may have made its way down the exhaust pipe and from sitting for the better part of three years. So with all that being said I do appreciate this forum and the info and advice I have recieved thus far. I will post from time to time to let ya know of any further work/ problems that i encounter and how this rescued from the scrap heap CAT is doing...Russ