Re: [CateraOwners] Re: 2001 Catera....Advice On Purchasing

  • Ed Ianni
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013

      I had a 97, they have improved them by 01, but it was the worst car I ever owned. Cadillac, wanting to get into the small car luxury market quickly, loaded it (the already existing Opel), with finer accouterments and the car was just not able to handle them. Did you know the "elderly couple", convenient that the odometer is broke isn't it, do you have a "Car-fax" for the car? I would be very, very, careful about buying this car. One mechanic said this is the only car that ever made him cry. Now a '01 has had 5 years of improvements and adjustments and refining that may have improved the car significantly, and it is a beautiful car (but basically a foreign car). If you have the knowledge, help and ability to get parts cheaper then the dealers prices, that is a very big help. Just be very careful investigating the car before the purchase. Good Luck. E.

      I had a On 5/31/2013 11:13 PM, cateraowners wrote:

      Make sure you run codes on the Check Engine Light...be sure the timing belt recall was done...and check the mileage against the VIN's service history...the odometer may not have been running as well.

      Remember, the Catera is much more an Opel than a Cadillac. Be sure to read through the Top Ten lists here in the Files section about what to look for.

      Good luck.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, themillerdaniel <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hey All-
      >
      > Just made an appointment to go see an 01 Catera tomorrow with very low mileage, and owned by an elderly couple since new with all maintenance records.
      >
      > The issue: Speedometer is stopped, and the check engine light is on.
      >
      > Any thoughts? I know my way around a car, have plenty of help if need be to replace things, but want to know what I am getting into before I take the plunge and buy it.
      >
      > Cadillacs are beautiful, and i'm no stranger to their eccentricities....had a 1986 Deville for many years and it was a love/hate relationship....but my love for it far outweighed the hate....and that ride was just like nothing else.
      >
      > Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
      >
      > Again, not afraid to work on it and get my hands dirty myself...thats half the fun.
      >
      > Going tomorrow morning to check it out, so time is of the essence here.
      >
      > Lastly, thanks for this amazing board, hope to make some great contributions myself around here.
      >
      > -Dan

    • themillerdaniel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
        Thanks for the advice! Checked it out a bit ago, and truly like this car, it's as plush as I remember them being when I test drove it back in the day. Definitely more of an Opel feel than a Cadillac, but its like a melding of both....an acquired taste but a good feel overall. Suits me very well :)

        The timing HAS been replaced....and the records were impeccable. I really like this car....BUT....

        It's definitely got issues with the EBTCM module. After checking it out, that much I know. That doesn't scare me at all, the engine does though.

        The engine is running rough...and I was wondering if the EBTCM can cause issues with idling and engine performance?

        It sounded like a exhaust leak or possibly a head gasket....but getting it up to a higher RPM it seemed to quiet down. Granted it was in park while I did this, but it did level it out.

        Tried the old trick covering the tailpipe to find an exhaust leak, and it didn't make any difference.

        The thing is spotless, has 62K on it and is sporting a new battery and new tires, but the engine is just very rough sounding. It's been sitting since last September I found out, and so I am wondering if lack of running the engine at all could have just shrunk the gaskets, or if this is a EBTCM related issue?

        I talkled the guy down to a insanely low price (he wants it gone) but want to know what I am in for if I take this on.

        My regular mechanic I know will tell me to run the other direction, which is what he did with my 86 Deville....but I want someone elses opinion on it....he isn't the be all to end all, as knowledgeable as he is. Like I said, I like the car, its clean, but don't want to bite off more than I can handle.

        If I got the car for under 500, I wouldn't mind putting a grand or two into it if I had to fix the head gasket, but I just want to try and get an idea of the cost of such a thing ballpark (if it is that at all) before I trek back down and tow the thing home.

        Told the owner i'd get back to him on Monday, and it's mine if I want it. But I need some information to arm myself with.....take pity on me y'all :)

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, themillerdaniel <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hey All-
        >
        > Just made an appointment to go see an 01 Catera tomorrow with very low mileage, and owned by an elderly couple since new with all maintenance records.
        >
        > The issue: Speedometer is stopped, and the check engine light is on.
        >
        > Any thoughts? I know my way around a car, have plenty of help if need be to replace things, but want to know what I am getting into before I take the plunge and buy it.
        >
        > Cadillacs are beautiful, and i'm no stranger to their eccentricities....had a 1986 Deville for many years and it was a love/hate relationship....but my love for it far outweighed the hate....and that ride was just like nothing else.
        >
        > Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Again, not afraid to work on it and get my hands dirty myself...thats half the fun.
        >
        > Going tomorrow morning to check it out, so time is of the essence here.
        >
        > Lastly, thanks for this amazing board, hope to make some great contributions myself around here.
        >
        > -Dan

      • themillerdaniel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
          One thing too I thought in regards to the rough idling was the valve covers, since they haven't been replaced....ditto for a vacuum line or something? Air flow sensor?

          Sitting so long, things wear, and rubber definitely can deteriorate. Again grasping at straws here, but the thing is in such nice shape otherwise. The owner even went out and bought a new side mirror assembly to put on because the motor kicked it....its in the trunk, genuine Cadillac color matched...can only imagine what that ran.

          So yeah, I am certain the ABS sensor is shot, because its all lit up like a christmas tree...but the idling is the thing that puzzles me. HELP! :-/

          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "cateraowners" <cateraowners@...> wrote:

          > Make sure you run codes on the Check Engine Light...be sure the timing belt recall was done...and check the mileage against the VIN's service history...the odometer may not have been running as well.
          >
          > Remember, the Catera is much more an Opel than a Cadillac. Be sure to read through the Top Ten lists here in the Files section about what to look for.
          >
          > Good luck.
          >

          > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, themillerdaniel <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey All-
          > >
          > > Just made an appointment to go see an 01 Catera tomorrow with very low mileage, and owned by an elderly couple since new with all maintenance records.
          > >
          > > The issue: Speedometer is stopped, and the check engine light is on.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts? I know my way around a car, have plenty of help if need be to replace things, but want to know what I am getting into before I take the plunge and buy it.
          > >
          > > Cadillacs are beautiful, and i'm no stranger to their eccentricities....had a 1986 Deville for many years and it was a love/hate relationship....but my love for it far outweighed the hate....and that ride was just like nothing else.
          > >
          > > Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
          > >
          > > Again, not afraid to work on it and get my hands dirty myself...thats half the fun.
          > >
          > > Going tomorrow morning to check it out, so time is of the essence here.
          > >
          > > Lastly, thanks for this amazing board, hope to make some great contributions myself around here.
          > >
          > > -Dan

        • d m
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "cateraowners" <cateraowners@...> wrote:

            > Make sure you run codes on the Check Engine Light...be sure the timing belt recall was done...and check the mileage against the VIN's service history...the odometer may not have been running as well.
            >
            > Remember, the Catera is much more an Opel than a Cadillac. Be sure to read through the Top Ten lists here in the Files section about what to look for.
            >
            > Good luck.
            >

            > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, themillerdaniel <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey All-
            > >
            > > Just made an appointment to go see an 01 Catera tomorrow with very low mileage, and owned by an elderly couple since new with all maintenance records.
            > >
            > > The issue: Speedometer is stopped, and the check engine light is on.
            > >
            > > Any thoughts? I know my way around a car, have plenty of help if need be to replace things, but want to know what I am getting into before I take the plunge and buy it.
            > >
            > > Cadillacs are beautiful, and i'm no stranger to their eccentricities....had a 1986 Deville for many years and it was a love/hate relationship....but my love for it far outweighed the hate....and that ride was just like nothing else.
            > >
            > > Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
            > >
            > > Again, not afraid to work on it and get my hands dirty myself...thats half the fun.
            > >
            > > Going tomorrow morning to check it out, so time is of the essence here.
            > >
            > > Lastly, thanks for this amazing board, hope to make some great contributions myself around here.
            > >
            > > -Dan
            > >The Check engine light and Speed O not working is duer to the ABS module located on the left side by the steering colum under the hood( its a block with a lot of brake lines ...removing it is not that difficult findining on is...;look on E bay they have a place that will rebuild yours if you send it to them. This item seems to go bad onn all of these vehicles. Don

          • Ralph Manning
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2013
              Hi!

              Your issue is almost certainly caused by a problem with your EBTCM Module. This is a very famous and prevalent issue with the Catera. I have a '99 (also low mileage) with which I am currently addressing the same issue.

              I just spent 3 months going back and forth with GM over this problem. I thought I had addressed it with my old Cadillac dealership, which supposedly repaired the problem, while it was still under warranty. Problem is, they misdiagnosed it as a defective instrument cluster, and supposedly replaced it with a new one. The problem went away for only a few months, and then resurfaced. The Cadillac dealership went out of business, in the meantime.

              GM basically blew me off, after 60 days of stalling, pretending they were trying to come up with a solution, which amounted to trying to get the current Cadillac dealership, in my area, to fix the problem pro bono, even though I'd never heard of them, and they had nothing to do with it, until GM forced me to pay and additional $150.00 to them, for an 'official' Cadillac dealership diagnosis. They said they wouldn't accept a diagnosis from any other source, even a qualified repair shop.

              I had done extensive prior research online and informed GM of the root cause (faulty EBTCM), which was confirmed by Michael Stead's Cadillac (Walnut Creek, CA. Great People and dealership, recommend them highly!). After my diagnosis was confirmed, after further expense, at GM's request, they basically said they wouldn't do anything further, and even stopped returning my phone calls. The dealership wanted around $2000.00 to replace the module (around $1500.00 for the part, alone), and another repair shop quoted me around $1650.00.

              Now the good news ... at least relatively speaking. If you are adept with mechanical skills (I used to do all my own repairs, years ago, including engine rebuilds) there is a valuable solution available. This problem is so prevalent, that there are a number of shops that specialize in rebuilding these units.

              One such is ModuleMaster in Moscow, IA (or Idaho). They seemed qualified, but said that they only repaired mechanical failures in the modules, at least when I spoke with them. The Company that we decided to go with is ASI (www.autoecu.com, (866) 983-6688) in Tenessee. They also will repair any faulty electronics. The cost - $189.00 to do a swap with one of their re-manufactured units, and $129.00 to rebuild your sent in unit. They also have 'specials' on EBAY, for even less. Hope this helps

              Ralph

              On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM, themillerdaniel <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • Kal Somogyvary
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2013
                Wow, new crop of trolls slammin' " The Cat ". If you have access to a competent auto mechanic
                that knows German automobiles then go ahead and get the car. Stay away from the Caddy Dealer
                for parts and you are golden.

                There were a substantial " few " campaign recalls/TSB's on this vehicle, of which I will not bore
                you with since it is all in this forum. GM basically would like to put this " joint " project very far
                behind them. But, a properly maintained specimen which is what you may have may be worth it
                if you consider yourself to be a pampered " driver " .

                Two things worthy of note; Cadillac engineers dictated the revamping of the HVAC for the North
                American market. There are certainly quality issues in that dept. Second, they added weight to
                the vehicle for noise cancellation/dampening. Nuf' said. Be prepared to change the lower control
                arm bushings - on time/recommended interval. I have had a ' 97 & a '98 where I did just that.
                Now I enjoy driving the car.

                Last note: the ignition coil pack was changed from a gang box layout to a more modular one
                for the model years '99 thru 2002. What plagued the earlier design was the heat soak it endured
                when the vehicle was parked. The " new " design spread out the ign. coils to dissipate heat
                and collect less heat. My trick, after idling in traffic and the car is stopped for whatever,  . .I
                prop the hood to exhaust the heat. Have yet to replace a replaced coil pack !!

                The worst cars I have ever owned are GM's too, plus North American built !

                [ ( Lumina ) Brakes !!!!!!]
                [ ( Malibu ) body/chassis Rot !!! ]

                The Catera is still as sound as a pound and the brakes actually bring the car to a halt.

                Cheers,
                            Sidgy

                I had a 97, they have improved them by 01, but it was the worst car I ever owned. Cadillac, wanting to get into the small car luxury market quickly, loaded it (the already existing Opel), with finer accouterments and the car was just not able to handle them. Did you know the "elderly couple", convenient that the odometer is broke isn't it, do you have a "Car-fax" for the car? I would be very, very, careful about buying this car. One mechanic said this is the only car that ever made him cry. Now a '01 has had 5 years of improvements and adjustments and refining that may have improved the car significantly, and it is a beautiful car (but basically a foreign car). If you have the knowledge, help and ability to get parts cheaper then the dealers prices, that is a very big help. Just be very careful investigating the car before the purchase. Good Luck. E.

                I had a On 5/31/2013 11:13 PM, cateraowners wrote:

                Make sure you run codes on the Check Engine Light...be sure the timing belt recall was done...and check the mileage against the VIN's service history...the odometer may not have been running as well.

                Remember, the Catera is much more an Opel than a Cadillac. Be sure to read through the Top Ten lists here in the Files section about what to look for.

                Good luck.

                --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, themillerdaniel <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Hey All-
                >
                > Just made an appointment to go see an 01 Catera tomorrow with very low mileage, and owned by an elderly couple since new with all maintenance records.
                >
                > The issue: Speedometer is stopped, and the check engine light is on.
                >
                > Any thoughts? I know my way around a car, have plenty of help if need be to replace things, but want to know what I am getting into before I take the plunge and buy it.
                >
                > Cadillacs are beautiful, and i'm no stranger to their eccentricities....had a 1986 Deville for many years and it was a love/hate relationship....but my love for it far outweighed the hate....and that ride was just like nothing else.
                >
                > Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
                >
                > Again, not afraid to work on it and get my hands dirty myself...thats half the fun.
                >
                > Going tomorrow morning to check it out, so time is of the essence here.
                >
                > Lastly, thanks for this amazing board, hope to make some great contributions myself around here.
                >
                > -Dan

              • clevelandmeeks

                  I had a 97, they have improved them by 01, but it was the worst car I ever owned. Cadillac, wanting to get into the small car luxury market quickly, loaded it (the already existing Opel), with finer accouterments and the car was just not able to handle them. Did you know the "elderly couple", convenient that the odometer is broke isn't it, do you have a "Car-fax" for the car? I would be very, very, careful about buying this car. One mechanic said this is the only car that ever made him cry. Now a '01 has had 5 years of improvements and adjustments and refining that may have improved the car significantly, and it is a beautiful car (but basically a foreign car). If you have the knowledge, help and ability to get parts cheaper then the dealers prices, that is a very big help. Just be very careful investigating the car before the purchase. Good Luck. E.

                  I had a On 5/31/2013 11:13 PM, cateraowners wrote:

                  Make sure you run codes on the Check Engine Light...be sure the timing belt recall was done...and check the mileage against the VIN's service history...the odometer may not have been running as well.

                  Remember, the Catera is much more an Opel than a Cadillac. Be sure to read through the Top Ten lists here in the Files section about what to look for.

                  Good luck.

                  --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, themillerdaniel <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Hey All-
                  >
                  > Just made an appointment to go see an 01 Catera tomorrow with very low mileage, and owned by an elderly couple since new with all maintenance records.
                  >
                  > The issue: Speedometer is stopped, and the check engine light is on.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts? I know my way around a car, have plenty of help if need be to replace things, but want to know what I am getting into before I take the plunge and buy it.
                  >
                  > Cadillacs are beautiful, and i'm no stranger to their eccentricities....had a 1986 Deville for many years and it was a love/hate relationship....but my love for it far outweighed the hate....and that ride was just like nothing else.
                  >
                  > Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.
                  >
                  > Again, not afraid to work on it and get my hands dirty myself...thats half the fun.
                  >
                  > Going tomorrow morning to check it out, so time is of the essence here.
                  >
                  > Lastly, thanks for this amazing board, hope to make some great contributions myself around here.
                  >
                  > -Dan

                • Gerald L Harris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
                    spedo quit, check if cruise does not work also, could be the abs module. WAS THE ISSUE ON MY 2000. sent it off to module masters, all problems gone.