2000 catera

  • sonnyroberts04
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7 9:33 AM
      I'm having overheating issues with my 2000 Catera with 47,000 miles on the motor and 65,000 on the vehicle itself. The original engine failure was due to overheating and I think I have isolated the problem. When testing fans the only fan I can get to operate is the main fan on the inside of the radiator. I would like to test the relays themselves. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you Sonny Roberts
    • phynanc
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20 1:49 PM
        I've had two non-major cooling issues with my '99 Cat:

        1. The heater control valve located on the top rear of the engine is prone to cracking and leaking, which could cause your coolant level to be low. Easy to replace.
        2. The '99 Cat has two electric booster coolant pumps; your Cat might have them too. I don't know whether a failed booster pump would affect enging cooling or just heater temperature. The booster pumps, about the size of a small soda can, are on the same fuse as the radio. When one of my pumps failed and kept blowing the circuit fuse I had to install another, smaller, fuse in series on one of the pumps to determine which pump was the source of the excess current draw. Once I know which pump was bad it was easy to replace it.

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "sonnyroberts04" <sonnyroberts04@...> wrote:

        > I'm having overheating issues with my 2000 Catera with 47,000 miles on the motor and 65,000 on the vehicle itself. The original engine failure was due to overheating and I think I have isolated the problem. When testing fans the only fan I can get to operate is the main fan on the inside of the radiator. I would like to test the relays themselves. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you Sonny Roberts

      • Caddy Man
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 25 8:32 PM
          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "sonnyroberts04" <sonnyroberts04@...> wrote:

          > I'm having overheating issues with my 2000 Catera with 47,000 miles on the motor and 65,000 on the vehicle itself. The original engine failure was due to overheating and I think I have isolated the problem. When testing fans the only fan I can get to operate is the main fan on the inside of the radiator. I would like to test the relays themselves. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you Sonny Roberts

          There is a ceramic type resistor for primary fan.(like the one on top of ignition coil for older contact points systems)Is under battery tray.Remove the battery and look for a white ceramic resistor test to make sure is noe broken(open)