fuel pump and components

  • Caleb
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
      my 98 catera died on me yesterday it seemed like it wasnt getting enough gas i was going to have it towed but when the tow truck got there the guy took a long pipe and banged on what i am guessing is the fuel filter a few times and it started right up all he said was its probably the fuel pump and not to shut the car off untill i got home

      any thoughts and should i try changing the fuse and filter first
      if it starts again today how long do you think it will last

      i plan on buying the parts from rockauto.com what brand would you recommend for parts

      thanks
    • Ralph Manning
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
        Hi!

        I would suggest changing the fuel filter. From what you've said, and what was done to, at least temporarily alleviate the problem, it sounds like the fuel filter had some level of blockage, restricting gas flow.

        Fuel filters are usually not a very expensive item, but then again, this is the Catera. You may have to mortgage your house to buy one. :-)

        On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Caleb <trans_guy101@...> wrote:

        my 98 catera died on me yesterday it seemed like it wasnt getting enough gas i was going to have it towed but when the tow truck got there the guy took a long pipe and banged on what i am guessing is the fuel filter a few times and it started right up all he said was its probably the fuel pump and not to shut the car off untill i got home

        any thoughts and should i try changing the fuse and filter first
        if it starts again today how long do you think it will last

        i plan on buying the parts from rockauto.com what brand would you recommend for parts

        thanks

      • Kal Somogyvary
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
          If you've never changed the fuel filter start with that. But, if it's been so long
          restrictive then it probably has pooched the fuel pump ! And, it looks like
          you are on you're way there !!

          I bought mine out of Miami, " Fule Pump King " I think it was ? It was made
          in good 'ole U.S.A. and so far after a year so good. I was considering Rock Auto
          but something turned me away, maybe delivery.

          Anyway you can delay the inevitable but me thinks you're buckin' up for a fuel
          pump as well. And you only need the " fuel pump " not the entire in-tank assembly.

          Cheers,
                       K.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2013
            thanks everybody i got the fuel filter replaced this morning  our mechanic dropped the car back off at 8:40 so i havent taken it out yet   i ended up going to Bond Auto Parts the cost of the filter would have been the same if i had gotten it from rock auto but insted of having to wait a week for it to get here i got it in less than 24 hours  it only cost $15 so it wasnt that bad    i am still however going to look into a new fuel pump but with limited resources i am going to have to wait to do so until i get a student loan or i go back to work

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013
              Re: fuel pump and components

              Hi,

                  I live in England, currently run 6 Vauxhall Omegas, all the same vehicle as the Cadillac Catera.

              Sure, fuel filters can get clogged, and pumps can fail, but I have never known it on an Omega. The filter is tricky to change; it has quick fit snap on connectors, which are hard to get off. I have found, buying used cars, that some earlier mechanic has made a mess of the job, so cut off the quick fit connectors and used hose clips. Thats OK, but makes the hose shorter, then bends it into too tight a curve and kinks it. This allows some fuel flow, enough to start and run at half power, but not enough to sustain full power.

              There is a gauze filter on the pump in the tank, but I have never found that one clopped.

              I have never known a pump run, but with reduced delivery. They either run or do not run.

              Its worth looking at the hoses around the filter. You will soon see if they are kinked.

              Good luck,

              Terry

            • Kal Somogyvary
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
                You Chaps in the UK are fortunate in that you actually have regulations that
                BP, and others, must abide by concerning the " quality of fuel. We here in
                the Great White North are the world's dumping ground for pertroleum distillate
                and as such experience numerous mechanical reliability issues when operating
                our vehicles. Let me just mention - sulphur content. Whilst you have condensation
                problems a-plenty I'm sure provisions are made to mitigate them. In the blend
                of the petrol of course.

                Oh, and by-the-way, our volume of fuel sales is corrected to 15" C  , . . . at the
                point of dispensing no less. I also must keep introducing various additives to
                the fuel in my 1998 Catera to keep the fuel system running clean and trouble free.

                I merely respond to your comments and do appreciate them however I do feel
                they must be qualified. For the benefit and education of these readers.

                Cheers,
                               K.