Is this the Shocks???

  • darien
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2013
      My Catera is sitting lower than usual in the back now can that be rear shocks that has went out on me?. Where can i find some reasonable shocks for this car.
    • Kal Somogyvary
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2013
        Monroe retail an " air ride " kit ( pair + hardware ) for a resonable price. I used it on my last
        Catera and they were fine. There is a lttle mod to do to get the air lines to work but a competant
        mechanic will have no trouble. If you no longer need the air lift function then KYB make an
        excellent model but are rather pricey at $400 + ( pair ) . Remember there is a leveling switch
        that has to be calibrated as well since it signals the pump to inflate the shocks under load.

        Make sure all is working before driving away. Monroe is about $120 ( pair ) - less on sale .

        K.

        My Catera is sitting lower than usual in the back now can that be rear shocks that has went out on me?. Where can i find some reasonable shocks for this car.

      • The Guy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
          The best solution is to install adjustable koni's all the way around.  I did this with mine with a set of 245/45/17 tires and it was an excellent handling and riding car

          Monroe retail an " air ride " kit ( pair + hardware ) for a resonable price. I used it on my last Catera and they were fine. There is a lttle mod to do to get the air lines to work but a competant mechanic will have no trouble. If you no longer need the air lift function then KYB make an excellent model but are rather pricey at $400 + ( pair ) . Remember there is a leveling switch that has to be calibrated as well since it signals the pump to inflate the shocks under load. Make sure all is working before driving away. Monroe is about $120 ( pair ) - less on sale . K.

          My Catera is sitting lower than usual in the back now can that be rear shocks that has went out on me?. Where can i find some reasonable shocks for this car.
        • cateraowners
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
            I used the Monroe's on my 2001 Sport - they were fine...stiffness was between the OEM base Catera and the OEM Sport. Be aware you could also have an issue with the air shock controller - it may need to be tested by a mechanic. The Monroe part number is MA825. Good luck.

            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "darien" wrote:

            > My Catera is sitting lower than usual in the back now can that be rear shocks that has went out on me?. Where can i find some reasonable shocks for this car.

          • southoaksfarm
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
              If you have a air leak in system it could have burned up pump. Try Arnott industries they are located in FL. They have aftermarket pumps and blistien air shocks. Not sure they have for catera's but found them for my suburban.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
                What price were the Koni's ? I find tires to be the most critical adhesion
                component on this vehicle. I would put the money into the tire.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
                  Yes, Bilsteins are good dampeners too, but should you really wish to
                  go German Ubercruzer look up " Steinmetz " and get your freak on. Maybe
                  you live in the Rockies and have access to Alpine style switchback roads.
                  Knock U'r self out !  I think AMG fashions some sports accessories as well.

                  Kwik-draw McGraw !

                  If you have a air leak in system it could have burned up pump. Try Arnott industries they are located in FL. They have aftermarket pumps and blistien air shocks. Not sure they have for catera's but found them for my suburban.

                  --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "cateraowners" wrote:

                  > I used the Monroe's on my 2001 Sport - they were fine...stiffness was between the OEM base Catera and the OEM Sport. Be aware you could also have an issue with the air shock controller - it may need to be tested by a mechanic. The Monroe part number is MA825. Good luck.

                • elvin315
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
                    Look for broken springs. They support the car, not the shocks. This is a frequent Catera problem.

                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "darien" wrote:

                    > My Catera is sitting lower than usual in the back now can that be rear shocks that has went out on me?. Where can i find some reasonable shocks for this car.

                  • Lorenzo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 16, 2013
                      Rockauto.com
                      Sent from Wireless Android

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Never had the REAR coils break, . . .yet. But I don't mean to say it doesn't happen.

                        Front coil overs , . . . yes, for sure. I had it happen on the passenger side. But it was
                        one of the coils on the flat.

                        Also check the rear trailing arms. They have rubber grommets which can grind
                        themselves into  carbon dust. Then the rear alignment goes whacko. So a good
                        shop with a decent alignment bench is the ticket. Even have them put in the
                        rear shocks.

                        I used to hear the air whistle out of the rear air shocks whenever I parked the
                        car and it was quiet. Then I started tooling around and found the pinholes in
                        the external face of the piston chamber. The Monroes held up well until the
                        engine expired. 30,000 miles or so.

                        Cheers,

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
                          In my case I got a great deal on all 4 dampers, front struts and rear shocks, from an owner that sold his car before installing them. $450 for everything. The rears have yet to go on due to lack of cash for the other parts but the front including polyurethane bushings makes a huge difference.