Re: [CateraOwners] water pump pulley

  • Ba Ki
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30 8:24 PM
      Dear Ruben,

      1st of all you may need to consider that Catera has 3 waterpumps, two Electric Auxiliary and one main Mechanical

      To access and change the main mechanical waterpump you will need to remove the air resonator, front timing belt plastic cover and suggest to remove radiator as well.

      If you are a handy person that has done some decent mechanical job before and DOES not easily gets frustrated, then read on, otherwise get some help from a handy friend or find a decent mechanic!

      As a person (not a mechanic, just a car crazy user) that has done water pump and timing belt change on this Engine on 3 different Vehicles (Saturn L300 V6, saab 9-5 Turbo V6 and of course the lovely Cat) in different settings, my suggestion would be if you attack water pump then 100% change the timing belt and tensioners, some buy it as a kit.

      I created a document almost 4 years ago, when I was younger and had more patience! with all these engines...have a look. As detailed as I could to show step by step how to change timing belt and tesnioners on this odd V6 54 degrees interference engine . You can see  in picture what lies behind the plastic covers, and where the mechanical water pump is.

      I've had a 2000 Catera Sport for almost 9 years now, at one point in 2009 wanted to sell, but didn't get one decent offer lol, so kept the car in addition to 2 other cars for a family of 2 (me  + wife) if you are a handy person Catera will keep you happy, and busy of course. Other than exhaust and Transmission (touch the wood) I have done work almost on each and every single point on this car from radiator to water pump, timing belt, auxiliary heater water pump, coil packs, seals and gaskets all around, several relays, thermo stat (pain in ...) shocks, rear shocks air pump, brakes/rotors of course, heater control valve (three times), HVAC vacuum actuators, signal lamp circuitry, inner and outer tie rods, some front end bushings and the control arm thingy, Mass air flow sensor, crank position sensor, engine oil breather, engine vacuum lines, transmission park position switch, broken outside mirror, broken oil filter housing, passenger side front seat heater circuitry in the leg support recaro seat, turn signal/cruise switch, removal of sunroof switch couple times to look for the ghost!! changing small lamps here and there in dashboard and cluster, and possibly more....wow can't imagine all of this in one car that has less than 100 K miles on it.

      BUT Still, every time I drive this car - if I dare to lol, I still like it. Drives and runs perfect and actually has disappointed me for a while with no issues lol.

      haven't been on this forum for a while, but hope to be able to contribute more moving forward. Have a look at the attached and hope it helps you, I loaded on file section as well many years ago. This forum has a vast amount of information, search and you shall find.

      Cheers,

      Al from Toronto, Canada,
      2000 Sport with all the bells and optional whistles that were available such as rear electric sun shade, front HID/rear LED lights, recaro seats etc

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
        Thank you so much Al, you gave me great source of informaton!