Re: [CateraOwners] Re: Hi all.

  • Kal Somogyvary
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
      I have had 2 one a ' 97 and the current a " late " 97 or 98 U.S.A. model.

       The 97 had sport suspension; heated seats; BOSE 9 spkr; pwr moonroof;
       only the 3.0l Vauxhaul engine available and engine block heater.

       The 97 & 1/2 is without sport suspension and block heater and heated seats.
       But ! don't really need the heating options for the simple fact that the coolant
       has not had a chance to foul the system. Reason being is the " proper "
       coolant for global vehicles was put in place at the dealership in Georgia under
       a deficiency campaign.

       Other than those items noted, the 2 vehicles are identical. Replete with the
      12 disk CD changer. Oh and the seat belt latches are the updated versions
      for North America.

       I find that most " Dunlop " tires are best suited for this model. Michelin
      Pilot Alpins are atrocious but the first gen Pilot HP tires were a gem. Too
      bad good things change.

       Cheers Mate,
                          Kal

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012

        The Catera was only offered in the US with a slightly de-tuned 3L V6, unlike Europe where there was original at least 2.0, 2.5 & 3L versions - we didn't get the 2.2 / 2.6 / 3.2L engines, though the 3.2 ended up in the CTS.  I believe one of the reasons the US version is slightly down on power is the top speed is WAY off - no 135 mph for us - a bit over 100 it the max and that's when going over a cliff.  It does however mean the car runs on cheaper rubber and I suspect the suspension has been softened a little to cope with US pot holes.

        The US only got the saloon /sedan version - the estate / station wagon wasn't offered here and we also only really got a single trim level though the leather was, I believe, optional, and there was a 'sport' version though the differences were pretty minor.  One key difference however is the weight - IIRC the US version got loaded up with extra impact protection stuff, and all the gizmo's so they end up 100-200Kg heavier than the European V6's.

        The other thing you should understand is the marketing was pitched differently and didn't work too well.  In Europe the Carlton/Record/Senator family sold to middle/upper managers who drove a lot of miles and to Government agencies, particularly the Police who used the Senators particularly for high speed pursuit vehicles.  The Omega never seemed to be as successful with the UK Police, but it was still a pretty solid long distance car.

        By contrast the Catera became a cheap Caddi and I'm pretty sure a big percentage ended up with older people, which is quite a different demographic to the UK market and certainly different to the area GM are targeting the replacement CTS.  The Catera marketing basically failed to position it as an alternative to cars like the BMW 5 series which is about the same size and power.

        The other BIG bugbear of the Catera is the reliability.  Compared to the rock solid Senator, it's frankly abysmal, in part I believe because there's just too much packed under the front end, which gets WAY too hot down here in the South, so stuff breaks.  Add in the weak dealership support and horrific prices and the car earned itself a horrible reputation, depreciation has been stunningly bad. GM didn't exactly take responsibility for that - they basically dumped them and ran, positioning the CTS as far away as possible so that none of the bad odour carried over.

        In short, the Catera has been a lesson in how to take a good, solid European car with decent performance and handling, and turn it into a lemon by tweaking it for the US market.

        Bernard