Re: Heater core 2000 catera

  • jeanne.leaman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
      A mechanic showed where it was leaking coolant from the area of the heater core and we have never been able to find a drain blockage. What else could it be? Is the HCV also in this area....
      I found a heater core from autopartsway.ca for under $100....

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Kal Somogyvary <kal_of_kourtice@...> wrote:

      > I agree with the Rock Auto suggestion but here are others - autopartswarehouse.com, gmparts.com to
      >
      > name a few.
      >

      > First however, please make certain it is in fact the " heater core ". I know from experience with
      >
      > " Dexcool " they plug after recent engine service but rarely heard of them corroding. Also make
      > sure that the drain diverter, a rubber reed type flap on the passenger side IN the wheel well is
      >
      > cleared out of debris. If this thing is stopped up the cowel area under the windshield will fill
      >
      > with rainwater and find its' way in to the cabin.
      >

      > My latest Catera had this problem. I rooted out the composted debris from the rubber reed with
      >
      > a zip tie, then power flushed with a garden sprayer and then finally blew with a reversed Shop
      > Vac. You would be amazed at the amount of material that was hauled out !!�
      >
      > �Please check this first. My mechanic was adamant about leaving the heater core alone after it
      >
      > plugged with gelled Dexcool. It is very difficult to get to. That solution is costly.
      >

      > P.S.get rid of the Dexcool " properly " ASAP to save yourself future grief.
      >

      > I hope this helps.

    • Raymond Leshynski
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
        The HCV is in the middle rear of the engine and is known to leak - it's relatively easy to replace once you remove the wipers and cowl under the windshield. I did mine in a couple of hours; also I repaired the heater hose at the T point under the HCV - I cut out the tear and inserted a copper tube connecting the heater hose with clamps. The heater hose had a tear and only leaked after the engine heated up.

        To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
        From: lasko_l@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 23:07:14 +0000
        Subject: [CateraOwners] Re: Heater core 2000 catera

      • shadow361@cox.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
          Hi J,

          The heater control valve is located behind the plenum up on top of the rear of the engine, it has one line coming into it from the drivers side which is "in" and has 2 "out" lines, one runs to the heater core and the other back into the radiator. Depending on demand or not for heat, it switches between the two. Took me a while to figure out how that darn thing worked because only 3 lines didn't make sense to me until you understand the return line from the heater core is elsewhere. You will find that line under the coolant reservoir along the inner fender well with a small bosch pump in the line and it runs right by the drain you have been trying to clean the leaves out of. That return line from the heater core could be the culprit. good luck. rob

          ---- "jeanne.leaman" <lasko_l@...> wrote:
          A mechanic showed where it was leaking coolant from the area of the heater core and we have never been able to find a drain blockage. What else could it be? Is the HCV also in this area....
          I found a heater core from autopartsway.ca for under $100....

          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Kal Somogyvary <kal_of_kourtice@...> wrote:

          > I agree with the Rock Auto suggestion but here are others - autopartswarehouse.com, gmparts.com to
          >
          > name a few.
          >

          > First however, please make certain it is in fact the " heater core ". I know from experience with
          >
          > " Dexcool " they plug after recent engine service but rarely heard of them corroding. Also make
          > sure that the drain diverter, a rubber reed type flap on the passenger side IN the wheel well is
          >
          > cleared out of debris. If this thing is stopped up the cowel area under the windshield will fill
          >
          > with rainwater and find its' way in to the cabin.
          >

          > My latest Catera had this problem. I rooted out the composted debris from the rubber reed with
          >
          > a zip tie, then power flushed with a garden sprayer and then finally blew with a reversed Shop
          > Vac. You would be amazed at the amount of material that was hauled out !!�
          >
          > �Please check this first. My mechanic was adamant about leaving the heater core alone after it
          >
          > plugged with gelled Dexcool. It is very difficult to get to. That solution is costly.
          >

          > P.S.get rid of the Dexcool " properly " ASAP to save yourself future grief.
          >

          > I hope this helps.

        • jeanne.leaman
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
            So do you think it could be the HCV and not the heater core? You mean blocked drain and HCV? Any advice is appreciated. We put "stop leak" in coolant system on advice of mechanic as a temporary measure and coolant leak stopped. Would this indicate heater core as culprit?
            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, <shadow361@...> wrote:

            > Hi J,
            >
            > The heater control valve is located behind the plenum up on top of the rear of the engine, it has one line coming into it from the drivers side which is "in" and has 2 "out" lines, one runs to the heater core and the other back into the radiator. Depending on demand or not for heat, it switches between the two. Took me a while to figure out how that darn thing worked because only 3 lines didn't make sense to me until you understand the return line from the heater core is elsewhere. You will find that line under the coolant reservoir along the inner fender well with a small bosch pump in the line and it runs right by the drain you have been trying to clean the leaves out of. That return line from the heater core could be the culprit. good luck. rob
            >

            > ---- "jeanne.leaman" <lasko_l@...> wrote:
            > A mechanic showed where it was leaking coolant from the area of the heater core and we have never been able to find a drain blockage. What else could it be? Is the HCV also in this area....
            > I found a heater core from autopartsway.ca for under $100....
            >
            > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Kal Somogyvary <kal_of_kourtice@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I agree with the Rock Auto suggestion but here are others - autopartswarehouse.com, gmparts.com to
            > >
            > > name a few.
            > >

            > > First however, please make certain it is in fact the " heater core ". I know from experience with
            > >
            > > " Dexcool " they plug after recent engine service but rarely heard of them corroding. Also make
            > > sure that the drain diverter, a rubber reed type flap on the passenger side IN the wheel well is
            > >
            > > cleared out of debris. If this thing is stopped up the cowel area under the windshield will fill
            > >
            > > with rainwater and find its' way in to the cabin.
            > >

            > > My latest Catera had this problem. I rooted out the composted debris from the rubber reed with
            > >
            > > a zip tie, then power flushed with a garden sprayer and then finally blew with a reversed Shop
            > > Vac. You would be amazed at the amount of material that was hauled out !!�
            > >
            > > �Please check this first. My mechanic was adamant about leaving the heater core alone after it
            > >
            > > plugged with gelled Dexcool. It is very difficult to get to. That solution is costly.
            > >

            > > P.S.get rid of the Dexcool " properly " ASAP to save yourself future grief.
            > >

            > > I hope this helps.

          • Kal Somogyvary
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011
              My mechanic spent a day on a weekend to try and address a " no heat " issue in the passenger
              cabin. He relayed to me what he had to accomplish just to get a " glimpse " of the heater core.
              - Most of the dashboard had been removed ?

               If in fact your mechanic did this to show you a leak I would be astonished. Judging by my own
              experience I can see this as being a $400 - 500 repair bill. Is is worth it? There have been many
              reports of the well beneath the windscreen filling with rainwater and entering through the cabin
              filter opening. I was hoping this would be the case here. If it is in fact the " heater core " I would
              look at replacing the vehicle.

               Just my humble opinion. And,   that's exactly what I did. Bought a newer Southern car for $1300.
               never looked back. ( There were many other issues with that replaced '97 Cat as well )

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2011
                Again the Dexcool dilema. The fluorescent  pink coolant is " Dexcool ". From what I am reading
                in the forums this stuff is the Devil's spawn. NO stop leak chemical is to be used with it, and, if
                air ( oxygen / nitrogen ) is exposed to to for too long it gels !? See this article about many unhappy campers.

                http://www.topclassactions.com/close/14-gm-dexcool-engine-coolant

                 No Cadillac owners of Cateras were included since essentially the Cat is a German product.

                 So in answer - yes it " could be " the HCV but the leak is not likely to be to the passenger cabin.

                 I also had the HCV replaced, along with the heater door servos and the HVAC console, ya da ya da ya da
                and for 2 strait years,....no heat in the cabin.

                 My latest Cat has Global Glycol based coolant ! And yes you guessed it not a single frickin' issue with any
                of the cooling system components !! If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then the variable must be
                to blame. P.S. only thing was the rad was cracked at the crimp,. top inside driver side. Common for the
                Cat well into the production run.

                Use wisdom and discretion in this matter ,
                                                                                   Cheers.