Car died driving down road

  • TammyB
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2011
      Today my 2000 Catera died driving down the road. It would not restart. It would crank over just fine, but not fire. I had it towed home $60.00...then an hour later I got in it to try to start it and it started right up. It died on me last week...acted like it wasn't getting any gas....changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for a week! Now, all the sudden today it decides to do this! Any suggestions???? I'm done spending money on this car!!!!!!!!!!
    • LoganDiagnostic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
        Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor. Also known as the CPS. Pretty easy to change.

        Car will simply turn off if the sensor goes bad. Then..car will work for a while then repeat. Sometimes the sensor will react to temperture.

        Logan Diagnostic

        Today my 2000 Catera died driving down the road. It would not restart. It would crank over just fine, but not fire. I had it towed home $60.00...then an hour later I got in it to try to start it and it started right up. It died on me last week...acted like it wasn't getting any gas....changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for a week! Now, all the sudden today it decides to do this! Any suggestions???? I'm done spending money on this car!!!!!!!!!!

      • robert teal
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
          it is your crank shaft sensor, autozone has it for 40.00 and labor is about 80.00 i had the same problem and this fixed it up runs like a top if you want to contact me i am looking for another catera luv the one my son has, but this will fix your problem, bye for now

          Robert L Teal

          Today my 2000 Catera died driving down the road. It would not restart. It would crank over just fine, but not fire. I had it towed home $60.00...then an hour later I got in it to try to start it and it started right up. It died on me last week...acted like it wasn't getting any gas....changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for a week! Now, all the sudden today it decides to do this! Any suggestions???? I'm done spending money on this car!!!!!!!!!!

        • Len
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
            most likely a faulty crankshaft position sensor; your experience is typical.

            Today my 2000 Catera died driving down the road. It would not restart. It would crank over just fine, but not fire. I had it towed home $60.00...then an hour later I got in it to try to start it and it started right up. It died on me last week...acted like it wasn't getting any gas....changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for a week! Now, all the sudden today it decides to do this! Any suggestions???? I'm done spending money on this car!!!!!!!!!!

          • glen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
              Sounds like the fuel pump to me
              > Today my 2000 Catera died driving down the road. It would not restart. It
              > would crank over just fine, but not fire. I had it towed home
              > $60.00...then an hour later I got in it to try to start it and it started
              > right up. It died on me last week...acted like it wasn't getting any
              > gas....changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for a week! Now, all the
              > sudden today it decides to do this! Any suggestions???? I'm done spending
              > money on this car!!!!!!!!!!

            • Brian MacKenna
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
                This problem description is indicative of a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS).  I replaced my CPS for about $40.  It is located right next to where the oil filter attaches.  It is secured by one bolt and has a wire that goes up behind the motor to a plug.  The wire is about 1.5' long.  To make sure you route the new one correctly, use the existing wire as a pull by attaching the new wire to it from down below and pull it up into the engine compartment.  It took me about a half hour incl. pulling the front left tire off for easier access.  It's really not difficult.  I would suggest, as I learned, to post your problem on this board, first, before guessing at it and spending money unneccessarily.

                Good luck!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011

                  Me and (ALL)  the other Catera owners will eventually experience this woderful symptom along with 3,453 (just a random number, in reality I am sure its higher)  more hair pulling problems. My fix for this after 2 tows and a battery and a Camshaft Position Sensor; A $6.00 part, THE NEGATIVE CABLE to the Battery GO FIGURE! If this car could speak it would NOT it would just Laugh at us as we pour our hard earned money into it.  GOOD LUCK (car Chuckles and a sinister voice speaks ...yea you're gonna need it...hahahahaha)

                • Angela
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
                    Sell it and cut your losses. My daughter had a CaTERROR. (Our nickname for it).  One of the happiest moments was when it was sold. It's now someone elses nightmare. Apparently the people that bought it from her did not research this car as we did not either when we came across it and bought it. It's the devil on your shoulder due to it's looks and how it rides. No one could resist... and once you have it you are stuck with shoveling money into it. We learned a lesson from having it though.... always read reviews and research before you buy. And take to a mechanic. We did none of the above... you live and learn.
                    Good Luck! I hope your experience will get better.

                    Today my 2000 Catera died driving down the road. It would not restart. It would crank over just fine, but not fire. I had it towed home $60.00...then an hour later I got in it to try to start it and it started right up. It died on me last week...acted like it wasn't getting any gas....changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for a week! Now, all the sudden today it decides to do this! Any suggestions???? I'm done spending money on this car!!!!!!!!!!

                  • jim cates
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
                      got one in southern illinois.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
                        This comment is not totally true.   It is correct that  the Catera had a few issues.  I have a '99 with 105,000 and it stills feels, looks and acts like a new car.   It probably costs me less per year than two months worth of new car payments.  When I consider the extraordinarily low price that I paid to begin with, I think it might well be among the best value cars that I have owned.   See if you can locate a good independent mechanic for your maintenance.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 4, 2011
                          I have to say I love this site and love my 2000 Catera. I had the same problem and it was the fuel pump. The car would shut off when the temp gauge went half way. I let the car cool and it would start as if nothing was going on. My mechanic got it squared away and it has been great ever since.

                          Glenn E. Tompkins Jr's IPad
                        • Terry Paget
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 6, 2011
                            Fuel pump, eh? Has anyone else met this problem? I have not heard of it before after 10 years of running 6 Omegas (English Cateras) and reading every Catera and Omega user bulletin.

                            Terry
                          • Tyrrell
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 6, 2011
                              My 97 did the same thing and it was the CPS sensor. Replaced it and everything was fine.