Re: seafoam (too much?)

  • RichT
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
      What year is your Catera? If you have a 97 or 98, the coil pack is around $350 (it fires all 6 plugs vs individual coil pack for each cyl or pair of cyls like the later model Cateras). It is a pain in the butt to replace, so there would be a bit of labor charges involved. But CateraOwners is right-it's not a $1200 job. Nowhere near a $1200 job.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <c.how80@...> wrote:

      > ok, i'll do that. thanks for the info!! i might go back to hill cadillac. they seem to know what they are doing.
      >
      > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "cateraowners" <cateraowners@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I suggest you find another shop...the coil pack is around $100-$125, and the wires around the same. Spark plug wire failures are rare. The only other items for a "tune up" are plugs and filters, generally. It's not a $1200+ job.
      > >

      > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <c.how80@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > well, i found out it wasnt the seafoam........it was the ignition coil
      > > > pack that went bad (took it in to a precision auto tune) and the
      > > > estimate to get that, the ignition wires and a tune up was $1228.
      > > > [:-&]

      > > > i put the whole pint can in the gas tank about halfway to charlotte when
      > > > i got gas but when i got off the highway i could tell the engine was
      > > > running rough and the check engine light was now on. could it be that i
      > > > just used too much? or could it have messed up the spark plugs?

    • cateraowners
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
        Thanks for the reminder about the 97-98 coil pack being a single. eBay vendors have them starting at $80 for aftermarket units.

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "RichT" <rchrd_tuttle@...> wrote:

        > What year is your Catera? If you have a 97 or 98, the coil pack is around $350 (it fires all 6 plugs vs individual coil pack for each cyl or pair of cyls like the later model Cateras). It is a pain in the butt to replace, so there would be a bit of labor charges involved. But CateraOwners is right-it's not a $1200 job. Nowhere near a $1200 job.
        >

        > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <c.how80@> wrote:
        > >
        > > ok, i'll do that. thanks for the info!! i might go back to hill cadillac. they seem to know what they are doing.
        > >
        > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "cateraowners" <cateraowners@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I suggest you find another shop...the coil pack is around $100-$125, and the wires around the same. Spark plug wire failures are rare. The only other items for a "tune up" are plugs and filters, generally. It's not a $1200+ job.

      • Richard Tuttle
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2011
          No problem. I had to replace the coil pack in my 98 a couple months ago. I'd forgotten about the ones on ebay in the $80 range, though. That may be worth looking into, Carl. I have no idea about the quality compared to the original, though.

          Thanks for the reminder about the 97-98 coil pack being a single. eBay vendors have them starting at $80 for aftermarket units.

          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "RichT" <rchrd_tuttle@...> wrote:

          > What year is your Catera? If you have a 97 or 98, the coil pack is around $350 (it fires all 6 plugs vs individual coil pack for each cyl or pair of cyls like the later model Cateras). It is a pain in the butt to replace, so there would be a bit of labor charges involved. But CateraOwners is right-it's not a $1200 job. Nowhere near a $1200 job.
          >

          > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <c.how80@> wrote:
          > >
          > > ok, i'll do that. thanks for the info!! i might go back to hill cadillac. they seem to know what they are doing.
          > >
          > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "cateraowners" <cateraowners@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I suggest you find another shop...the coil pack is around $100-$125, and the wires around the same. Spark plug wire failures are rare. The only other items for a "tune up" are plugs and filters, generally. It's not a $1200+ job.

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2011
            thanks alot RichT and Mod!! i do have a '97. i found an aftermarket coil pack on ebay for $80-90. i definitely dont have the tools to do it myself so i'll see what the labor is to get it done at the dealership. another labor intensive job, from what was said earlier,......nice.

            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Richard Tuttle <rchrd_tuttle@...> wrote:

            > No problem. I had to replace the coil pack in my 98 a couple months ago. I'd forgotten about the ones on ebay in the $80 range, though. That may be worth looking into, Carl. I have no idea about the quality compared to the original, though.

          • Renoy Thomas
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2011
              Hi,

              If you have a little time and patience, you can replace the coil pack yourself. You can rent some tools from any auto parts store and return it once your done.

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2011
                Carl
                It's not terribly labor intensive from a mechanic's point of view-it's just a pain compared to most coil packs. I'd guess most would charge about 2 hours labor, give or take. The only not-so-common tool you'd need is an E10 (or maybe E15, can't remember) socket, preferably deep well.
                Richard