rear windows on 2000 cat

  • dwdoyle68
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
      Both rear windows roll down but not up. I took the door panels off and can't tell what lifts the windows up. A cable pulls the window down but just slack happens when the goes up I can pull it up then. How do I fix it help
    • gifutiger
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
        Greetings

        The windows are raised and lowered by a cable that is on a round drum. The window switch applies a voltage to the motor, one way for up and the opposite polarity for down.

        It could be that the switch isn't applying the voltage to the motor for the up direction, but my guess is that the cable is broken.

        I had the same problem, I could lower the window, but had to open the door grab the window from both sides and slid it up into place.

        You'll be able to to this for a while but eventually everything will get tangled and you wont be able to raise or lower the window.

        Not sure if you can get a replacement mechanism from the dealer, but if you can, you can count on BIG BUCKS. Your best bet is to search the junk yards, either on-line or in surrounding cities.

        I don't recall what I paid but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of about $100.
        It's not to difficult to replace the unit however you will need a "pop rivet gun" and a mixture of rivets.

        Drill out the rivets that are holding the window lift mechanism in the door, remove the bad one, install the replacement and pop rivet it into place. Close up the plastic cover, put back the door panel and you done.

        Shouldn't take much more than about 2 hours per door.

        Cheers

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, dwdoyle68 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Both rear windows roll down but not up. I took the door panels off and can't tell what lifts the windows up. A cable pulls the window down but just slack happens when the goes up I can pull it up then. How do I fix it help

      • David Stivers
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010

          Hey all,

          Due to events beyond control, I have to sell the baby. Here is the Craigslist ad

          I am not firm on the price, but it really is a great running car. I have had no issues with it beyond the initial issues when I bought it.

          I have all the listed receipts that go with it.

          http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1675352442.html

          Both the wife and I love the car, but it is extra and we need to make some financial adjustments.

          Thanks to all.

          The windows are raised and lowered by a cable that is on a round drum. The window switch applies a voltage to the motor, one way for up and the opposite polarity for down.

          It could be that the switch isn't applying the voltage to the motor for the up direction, but my guess is that the cable is broken.

          I had the same problem, I could lower the window, but had to open the door grab the window from both sides and slid it up into place.

          You'll be able to to this for a while but eventually everything will get tangled and you wont be able to raise or lower the window.

          Not sure if you can get a replacement mechanism from the dealer, but if you can, you can count on BIG BUCKS. Your best bet is to search the junk yards, either on-line or in surrounding cities.

          I don't recall what I paid but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of about $100.
          It's not to difficult to replace the unit however you will need a "pop rivet gun" and a mixture of rivets.

          Drill out the rivets that are holding the window lift mechanism in the door, remove the bad one, install the replacement and pop rivet it into place. Close up the plastic cover, put back the door panel and you done.

          Shouldn't take much more than about 2 hours per door.

          Cheers

          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, dwdoyle68 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Both rear windows roll down but not up. I took the door panels off and
          can't tell what lifts the windows up. A cable pulls the window down but just slack happens when the goes up I can pull it up then. How do I fix it help

        • Dr. James Maskasky
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2010

            Needed one for my 99 cat.  Found it on e-bay for $150 incl. shipping.