Re: 97 Catera Brake light switch installation instructions

  • charlie_p26
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "tuctem" <tuctem@...> wrote:

      > Messages 20307 & 20192.
      >

      > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "opa84291" <opa84291@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Can someone tell me the correct way to install the Brake light switch
      > on the pedal bracket on a 97 Cadilac Catera? Are there any adjustments
      > to installing the switch. I got the switch installed in the upper hole
      > of the bracket, but the switch plunger never came out far enough for the
      > pedal to shut the brake lights off. I tried putting a spacer in between
      > the pedal and the switch, but when I did that, the claws that hold the
      > switch in place broke off on both sides, now the switch does not stay in
      > place. I live in the North east and it was very cold out when I
      > installed the switch.
      > >
      > > Unfortunately I will have to purchase a new switch. I found some
      > instructions on the internet to pull the plunger out as far as it could
      > go. I tried that prior to installing the switch but it did not come out
      > any further than factory setting.
      > >
      > > I had to also buy the cruise control switch, because I broke that one
      > trying to get the brake light switch out.
      > >
      > > Help please. I am about to call it quits and shoot this money pit of a
      > car.
      > >
      > > Thanks i advance for any info. Pictures would help graetly.
      > >
      > > Norm

      I replaced it on my 2000 Cat. You have to pull out the new plunger with some force about 5/8 inch. While holding the brake pedal down, make sure the notch on the new switch is lined up to fit in the bracket and install the switch on a side angle to engage the outside snap lock, than while pressing on the back of the switch, straighten the switch to seat the other snap lock.
    • charlie_p26
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "tuctem" <tuctem@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Messages 20307 & 20192.
        > >

        > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "opa84291" <opa84291@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Can someone tell me the correct way to install the Brake light switch
        > > on the pedal bracket on a 97 Cadilac Catera? Are there any adjustments
        > > to installing the switch. I got the switch installed in the upper hole
        > > of the bracket, but the switch plunger never came out far enough for the
        > > pedal to shut the brake lights off. I tried putting a spacer in between
        > > the pedal and the switch, but when I did that, the claws that hold the
        > > switch in place broke off on both sides, now the switch does not stay in
        > > place. I live in the North east and it was very cold out when I
        > > installed the switch.
        > > >
        > > > Unfortunately I will have to purchase a new switch. I found some
        > > instructions on the internet to pull the plunger out as far as it could
        > > go. I tried that prior to installing the switch but it did not come out
        > > any further than factory setting.
        > > >
        > > > I had to also buy the cruise control switch, because I broke that one
        > > trying to get the brake light switch out.
        > > >
        > > > Help please. I am about to call it quits and shoot this money pit of a
        > > car.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks i advance for any info. Pictures would help graetly.
        > > >
        > > > Norm
        > > >

        > I replaced it on my 2000 Cat. You have to pull out the new plunger with some force about 5/8 inch. While holding the brake pedal down, make sure the notch on the new switch is lined up to fit in the bracket and install the switch on a side angle to engage the outside snap lock, than while pressing on the back of the switch, straighten the switch to seat the other snap lock.

        Also,don't forget to pull out the plunger stop.
      • opa84291
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "tuctem" <tuctem@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Messages 20307 & 20192.

          > > > on the pedal bracket on a 97 Cadilac Catera? Are there any adjustments
          > > > to installing the switch. I got the switch installed in the upper hole
          > > > of the bracket, but the switch plunger never came out far enough for the
          > > > pedal to shut the brake lights off. I tried putting a spacer in between
          > > > the pedal and the switch, but when I did that, the claws that hold the
          > > > switch in place broke off on both sides, now the switch does not stay in
          > > > place. I live in the North east and it was very cold out when I
          > > > installed the switch.

          > > > instructions on the internet to pull the plunger out as far as it could
          > > > go. I tried that prior to installing the switch but it did not come out
          > > > any further than factory setting.

          > > > trying to get the brake light switch out.

          > > > car.

          > > I replaced it on my 2000 Cat. You have to pull out the new plunger with some force about 5/8 inch. While holding the brake pedal down, make sure the notch on the new switch is lined up to fit in the bracket and install the switch on a side angle to engage the outside snap lock, than while pressing on the back of the switch, straighten the switch to seat the other snap lock.
          > >
          > Also,don't forget to pull out the plunger stop.

          What and where is the plunger stop. I had to get anoter switch since I broke the both locks on the one I was bought and was able to get in place on the bracket. The problem I had was trying to pull the plunger out after it was in place. The brake pedal never made contact with the switch. I have a new swicth not installed yet and need to find a way to adjust it before I put it n. When I try to pull the plunger out, it doesn't move. There appears to be an orange ring around the plunger that seems to recess in towards the switch.

          Any help much appreciated.

          Thanks for the info.

          Norm
        • charlie_p26
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "opa84291" <opa84291@...> wrote:

            > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@> wrote:

            > > > I replaced it on my 2000 Cat. You have to pull out the new plunger with some force about 5/8 inch. While holding the brake pedal down, make sure the notch on the new switch is lined up to fit in the bracket and install the switch on a side angle to engage the outside snap lock, than while pressing on the back of the switch, straighten the switch to seat the other snap lock.
            > > >
            > > Also,don't forget to pull out the plunger stop.
            > >
            > What and where is the plunger stop. I had to get anoter switch since I broke the both locks on the one I was bought and was able to get in place on the bracket. The problem I had was trying to pull the plunger out after it was in place. The brake pedal never made contact with the switch. I have a new swicth not installed yet and need to find a way to adjust it before I put it n. When I try to pull the plunger out, it doesn't move. There appears to be an orange ring around the plunger that seems to recess in towards the switch.
            >
            > Any help much appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks for the info.
            >
            > Norm

            You have to pull out the plunger and the plunger stop/retainer before installing the switch. The plunger slides insider the retainer.
          • opa84291
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
              --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "opa84291" <opa84291@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, charlie_p26 <no_reply@> wrote:

              > > > Also,don't forget to pull out the plunger stop.
              > > >
              > > What and where is the plunger stop. I had to get anoter switch since I broke the both locks on the one I was bought and was able to get in place on the bracket. The problem I had was trying to pull the plunger out after it was in place. The brake pedal never made contact with the switch. I have a new swicth not installed yet and need to find a way to adjust it before I put it n. When I try to pull the plunger out, it doesn't move. There appears to be an orange ring around the plunger that seems to recess in towards the switch.
              > >
              > > Any help much appreciated.
              > >
              > > Thanks for the info.
              > >
              > > Norm
              > >
              > You have to pull out the plunger and the plunger stop/retainer before installing the switch. The plunger slides insider the retainer.

              Is there a tool you need to use to get the plunger pulled out. I am trying to pull it out and it does move and does not come out any further. I don't want to break it by trying to force it. I can push it in, and the spring load pushes it back out to what appears to be all the way. I read somwhere it should pull out approx 5/8 of an inch. The max this plunger appears to come out is approx 1/2 inch beyond the retainer when the retainer is pushed in. Sory to keep bothering you, but I know the way it is now, will not touch the brake peddle.
              Please advise.
            • Chet Allen
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2010
                I had the same problem with swtich I bought through NAPA with plunger not extending out enough . I bought the second one from advanced auto and it worked with out having to make any adjustments to it all Changed it over 3 months ago still working fine

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2010
                  Thank you for responding. I too bought my switch from NAPA. I guess I will have to bring it back and try to find it from another auto parts store

                  Thank you

                  --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Chet Allen <chetallen@...> wrote:

                  > I had the same problem with swtich I bought through NAPA with plunger not extending out enough . I bought the second one from advanced auto and it worked with out having to make any adjustments to it all Changed it over 3 months ago still working fine
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • opa84291
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2010
                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Chet Allen <chetallen@...> wrote:

                    > I had the same problem with swtich I bought through NAPA with plunger not extending out enough . I bought the second one from advanced auto and it worked with out having to make any adjustments to it all Changed it over 3 months ago still working fine

                    Thank you for replying. I too bought my switch from NAPA. I will have to bring it back. I am on my second switch from NAPA, and they both have the same issue. I will let the store manager know about their issues with this switch.

                    Thanks again.
                  • Chet Allen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2010

                    Advanced Auto is a national Auto Parts Store They have the part in there normal inventory here is the link to there site. You can go on line and even have it shipped straight to your home address if you prefer.

                    Note: See attached page for price & part number from Advanced Autos Website for the  Brake Light Switch