Any Canadian Saab or Saturn owners here, seeking advice

  • ba_ki
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi All,

      Proud owner of a 2000 Cat Sport from Toronto, Canada here. Seeking advice on buying a certified pre-owned Saab.

      Wanted to get feedback from the group (Candian Saab/Saturn owners if any) as to how their experience is with the warranty and parts and service after the recent changes with GM and Saab dealers closures.

      I have test driven a low mile 9-3 (certified pre-owned) and the dealer has also suggested purchasing extended warranty (by Saturn/GM), have also put deposit to take the car Tuesday. Love the car but on a second thought with all going on with Saab/Saturn/GM I just didn't know what I was getting myself into and thought ask current owners. From what I know 9-3 doesn't share much mechanical with other GM platforms that are going to stay in Canada. GM "claims" staying by Saab owners in Canada for cars already sold.

      Suggestions and comments welcome, specifically as how you are treated at GM dealers.

      Thanks,

      Al from Toronto, Canada
    • cateraowners
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
        First, I'd take a look at the press release referenced here:

        http://www.saabclub.ca/

        The GM Saab Certified Warranty, which I believe in the US was a $1000/$1100 add-on to extend the bumper-to-bumper coverage to 6/100k, was almost a no-brainer for me the least time I bought one (a 9-5). The 9-3 does share some components with other GM products as it was built on the Epsilon platform, but I don't think the 2.0L turbo powertrain is one of them.

        The reality is likely to be that while GM may continue to service Saab in Canada, unless a dealer picks up a Saab-trained mechanic (which is most likely in the larger markets like Toronto), most dealers won't have much familiarity with the cars.

        The release referenced above makes Koeniggegg's plans for Canada uncertain at this time. It sounds like you take your chances. Good luck.

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "ba_ki" <ba_ki@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Proud owner of a 2000 Cat Sport from Toronto, Canada here. Seeking advice on buying a certified pre-owned Saab.
        >
        > Wanted to get feedback from the group (Candian Saab/Saturn owners if any) as to how their experience is with the warranty and parts and service after the recent changes with GM and Saab dealers closures.
        >
        > I have test driven a low mile 9-3 (certified pre-owned) and the dealer has also suggested purchasing extended warranty (by Saturn/GM), have also put deposit to take the car Tuesday. Love the car but on a second thought with all going on with Saab/Saturn/GM I just didn't know what I was getting myself into and thought ask current owners. From what I know 9-3 doesn't share much mechanical with other GM platforms that are going to stay in Canada. GM "claims" staying by Saab owners in Canada for cars already sold.
        >
        > Suggestions and comments welcome, specifically as how you are treated at GM dealers.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Al from Toronto, Canada

      • Ba Ki
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2009
          Thanks,

          yes its a 2.0 Turbo,  I know 9-5s use a modified version of 3.0L used in my Cat. But I'm by no means familiar with the 2 liter turbo. Plus the tranny and all electronics are totally different.

          warranty/service aside and even if that is honored with no issues, I think total cost of ownership will be high as the resale value in coming years may drop significantly. Thinking of pulling back from the deal and let the deposit go!!

          First, I'd take a look at the press release referenced here:

          http://www.saabclub.ca/

          The GM Saab Certified Warranty, which I believe in the US was a $1000/$1100 add-on to extend the bumper-to-bumper coverage to 6/100k, was almost a no-brainer for me the least time I bought one (a 9-5). The 9-3 does share some components with other GM products as it was built on the Epsilon platform, but I don't think the 2.0L turbo powertrain is one of them.

          The reality is likely to be that while GM may continue to service Saab in Canada, unless a dealer picks up a Saab-trained mechanic (which is most likely in the larger markets like Toronto), most dealers won't have much familiarity with the cars.

          The release referenced above makes Koeniggegg's plans for Canada uncertain at this time. It sounds like you take your chances. Good luck.

          --- In CateraOwners@ yahoogroups. com, "ba_ki" <ba_ki@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > Proud owner of a 2000 Cat Sport from Toronto, Canada here. Seeking advice on buying a certified pre-owned Saab.
          >
          > Wanted to get feedback from the group (Candian Saab/Saturn owners if any) as to how their experience is with the warranty and parts and service after the recent changes with GM and Saab dealers closures.
          >
          > I have test driven a low mile 9-3 (certified pre-owned) and the dealer has also suggested purchasing extended warranty (by Saturn/GM), have also put deposit to take the car Tuesday. Love the car but on a second thought with all going on with Saab/Saturn/ GM I just didn't know what I was getting myself into and thought ask current owners. From what I know 9-3 doesn't share much mechanical with other GM platforms that are going to stay in Canada. GM
          "claims" staying by Saab owners in Canada for cars already sold.

          > Suggestions and comments welcome, specifically as how you are treated at GM dealers.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Al from Toronto, Canada

        • Tony Partigianoni
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
            How will the CFC program affect Catera car values?

            Seems like the more cars that are gone should benefit those who held on to their cars?

            Cheers,
            Tony
          • cateraowners
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
              Considering at this point Cateras are 9-13 years old, and have never had (fairly or not) much of a reputation (or at least a good one) in the U.S., I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

              But that doesn't mean those in the know with the resources and knowledge to maintain the cars won't continue to enjoy them very much.

              --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Partigianoni" <inkognito@...> wrote:

              > How will the CFC program affect Catera car values?
              >
              > Seems like the more cars that are gone should benefit those who held on to their cars?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Tony

            • cateraowners
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
                One other car I suggest Catera owners check out is the Chevy Malibu LTZ with the V6. Strongly based on the latest Opel Vectra, the Saturn Aura XR version of same drove, rode and handled more like the Catera than any car I've ever driven, with considerably more power from the 3.6L V6. I thought the Aura/Malibu was a significantly better car than the 9-3 after driving both. I preferred the Aura XR over the LTZ, but alas, Saturn is no more. Unfortunately, the excellent 6/100 GM certified used car program offered on Cadillac and Saab was never available on Chevy or Saturn, at least in the U.S.