2001 Catera Sport dies will not restart for an hour

  • gully162
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      This has happened a couple of times over the years, but latley it has been happening more often. O was drovong back from Charleston and when I got off I-95, it died at the end off the ramp. 20 minutes later it started and made it to the next light. after about 10 minutes it started, only to doe again when we had to stop for traffic. I had the coils and all changed,(they had been damaged by a previous valve cover gasket leak) and then it wouldn't re start after we shut it off in town. It took about an hour for it to re start that time, and we haven't beeen driving it since. Any thoughts?
    • gord_gecko
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gully162" <gully162@...> wrote:

        > This has happened a couple of times over the years, but latley it has been happening more often. O was drovong back from Charleston and when I got off I-95, it died at the end off the ramp. 20 minutes later it started and made it to the next light. after about 10 minutes it started, only to doe again when we had to stop for traffic. I had the coils and all changed,(they had been damaged by a previous valve cover gasket leak) and then it wouldn't re start after we shut it off in town. It took about an hour for it to re start that time, and we haven't beeen driving it since. Any thoughts?

        CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).

        Lots of info in the archives.
      • Dan Allen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@...> wrote:

          > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gully162" <gully162@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This has happened a couple of times over the years, but latley it has been happening more often. O was drovong back from Charleston and when I got off I-95, it died at the end off the ramp. 20 minutes later it started and made it to the next light. after about 10 minutes it started, only to doe again when we had to stop for traffic. I had the coils and all changed,(they had been damaged by a previous valve cover gasket leak) and then it wouldn't re start after we shut it off in town. It took about an hour for it to re start that time, and we haven't beeen driving it since. Any thoughts?
          >

          > CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).
          >
          > Lots of info in the archives.

          +1 for the CPS. With the frequency of this failure you'd think any decent repair facitiy would have the problem in the hot list of common problems of whatever reference service they use....

          TOH
        • odb_brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gully162" <gully162@...> wrote:

            > This has happened a couple of times over the years, but latley it has been happening more often. O was drovong back from Charleston and when I got off I-95, it died at the end off the ramp. 20 minutes later it started and made it to the next light. after about 10 minutes it started, only to doe again when we had to stop for traffic. I had the coils and all changed,(they had been damaged by a previous valve cover gasket leak) and then it wouldn't re start after we shut it off in town. It took about an hour for it to re start that time, and we haven't beeen driving it since. Any thoughts?
            >sounds like the crankshaft position sensor.same thing happened to me,changed sensor,worked great.
          • john gullion
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
              thanks,  i'll check into it

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009