Re: [CateraOwners] Re: Radio Goes in and out

  • Tony Partigianoni
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
      The K-134 is also called the MULTIFUNCTION MODULE (MFM).

      GM part# 90494163 pictured here.

      You are seeing the end that plugs in under the panel to the left of the steering column.

      The end facing out is a plain grey box about twice the thickness of a deck of cards.

      You can get this part from GMPARTSDIRECT.

      Seems like I paid $42 plus shipping last December.  The shipping label says it came from Flow Pontiac Buick GMC out of Winston Salem NC but it may have been drop-shipped by. The MFM (made by Delphi) is a common problem with Cateras (and other Cadillac model cars).  In addition to the radio it also affected opening the truck and gas door.  All worked as soon as this part was replaced.  I've read online that the problem can be a cold solder joint where some of the heavier parts inside.  Without the part in our hand, I don't think we would have ever found the device which is one reason we never attempted to try re-heating the solder joints. I kept the one we took out of Scotty's Catera in case I ever have the same problem on my Catera that I can try the solder solution.  The $60 price seemed like a cheap solution at the time because it fixed three aggravating problems and saved a perfectly good radio from being junked.

      Cheers,
      Tony

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gilbert_molgado" <molgado@...> wrote:

        > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "roni3577" <tory.johnson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am having a problem with my radio and its very annoyning. My radio is going out and coming back in not losing power but just losing sound for about 2 seconds every 5 min. I recently had the timming belt and water pump replaced and thats when the problem started. What can I check other than the wires behind the radio. I know you guys can help you have helped alot thus far so I am very confident
        > >
        > I have the same problem can somone tell me where the relay its located?
        > and there is possible to test it THANKS

        K134 location:

        Remove the trim panel from below the steering wheel.
        Remove the black vinyl covered insert that is underneath that.
        With a flashlight, lay on your back head next to the pedals and look
        up
        and to the right, over by the fender.
        Gray box just above smaller red box.
        Twist the gray box slightly clockwise and pull up.
        It should pop off it's mount.
        Now remove the wiring harness plug.
      • kimleda2002
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
          I had been experiencing problems with my radio, fuel door release, and trunk release. I searched the message board and located the problem. Part no. 90494163. I ended up purchasing the part from the Cadillac dealership because time was not on my side. I was afraid that I would run out of gas before the part could be replaced. I ordered the part from the dealership and it arrived the next day. I paid about $95.00. I know this is more than gmpartsdirect.com and rmsautoparts.com; however, I needed the part right away.

          I want to thank all of you for your help, in particular Gord Gecko and Tony Partigianoni. Gord Gecko you are absolutely a Catera Guru!!! I also used your instructions to repair a problem with my heat where it was blowing cold on the driver's side. Your advice worked like a charm.

          Thank you all for you advice and assistance.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
            There are ways to manually open the trunk lid and to open the fuel door.

            According to the owner's manual, one can manually open the trunk using the truck release handle which located in the rear of the trunk (driver's side) which can be accessed through the fold-down rear seat. Pull the handle which is located under the trunk lid on the driver's side.  A picture and the instructions are found on page 2-12 of my 1999 Catera Owners Manual.  On a friend's 2001, he has long arms and was able to reach it through the folded down arm rest.

            Once inside the truck, simply unplug the power connector behind the panel located to the rear of the right rear tail light. Leave it unplugged and manually open and close the fuel door until the multifunction module is replaced and/or the other root cause is fixed.

            Cheers,
            Tony

            Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:48 PM