Re: [CateraOwners] 99 Catera - Transmission in limp mode - tried number of things - Need Help

  • jbeardjr@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1 7:42 AM
      Hi Tony!

      When the warning lite that looks like a gear, with a ! in it, you're in limp mode.
      I've had that problem intermittently, needing only to restart car for it to go out, return to normal.

      The codes are the key to resolving the problem. Does anyone know someone who refurbishes or test Trans modules?

      Might also want to check electrical system for issues too, since your shifter light is out; I have a vehicle that I've been told that with this problem,the computer can't see what gear you're in.

      Have a great Sunday,and good luck!

      John

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1 8:28 AM
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "J Andrade" <camsammy@...> wrote:

        >First time I started it the
        > lights came on for the shifter then quit and back to limp mode.

        Ok, I'll take a shot in the dark.
        Check all your fuses (with a meter, not only visual).

        The transmission range switch is connected to the TCM, reverse lights,
        flasher fuse, ignition switch, starter solenoid, backup lights, and
        rear view mirror.

        If something in one of those circuits is blowing fuses (backups,
        mirror), then it will affect the TR switch circuit.
      • Chad
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1 8:51 AM
          was the trans range switch adjusted when it was replaced?

          > lights came on for the shifter then quit and back to limp mode.

          Ok, I'll take a shot in the dark.
          Check all your fuses (with a meter, not only visual).

          The transmission range switch is connected to the TCM, reverse lights,
          flasher fuse, ignition switch, starter solenoid, backup lights, and
          rear view mirror.

          If something in one of those circuits is blowing fuses (backups,
          mirror), then it will affect the TR switch circuit.

        • J Andrade
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1 11:46 AM
            First, checked all the fuses and all are OK. No other symptoms other
            than tranny in limp mode.
            When I replaced the range switch, and turned on the ignition, the
            lights on the shifter all lit for the first time since owning the
            car. Then just the P was lit. However when I started the car and
            put it into gear the lights all went out and limp mode activated
            again.
            I replaced the TCM but it had no effect.
            Jim

            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Chad" <RX7351W@...> wrote:

            > was the trans range switch adjusted when it was replaced?

          • gord_gecko
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1 12:55 PM
              So have you tried adjusting it as Chad mentioned?

              --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "J Andrade" <camsammy@...> wrote:

              > First, checked all the fuses and all are OK. No other symptoms other
              > than tranny in limp mode.
              > When I replaced the range switch, and turned on the ignition, the
              > lights on the shifter all lit for the first time since owning the
              > car. Then just the P was lit. However when I started the car and
              > put it into gear the lights all went out and limp mode activated
              > again.
              > I replaced the TCM but it had no effect.
              > Jim
              >
              > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Chad" <RX7351W@> wrote:
              > >
              > > was the trans range switch adjusted when it was replaced?

            • Scott Pearson
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1 8:39 PM
                Do they all go out and the limp mode engage as soon as moved out of park?
                KOEO, cycle through the gears. Do any of the select lamps illuminate? Pay
                attention if they are on between gears, that indicates a PRNDL sensor out of
                adjustment.

                Scott

                > First, checked all the fuses and all are OK. No other symptoms other
                > than tranny in limp mode.
                > When I replaced the range switch, and turned on the ignition, the
                > lights on the shifter all lit for the first time since owning the
                > car. Then just the P was lit. However when I started the car and
                > put it into gear the lights all went out and limp mode activated
                > again.
                > I replaced the TCM but it had no effect.
                > Jim
              • J Andrade
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2 11:12 AM
                  No lights on the shifter any time. When I first replaced the switch
                  and tested it it worked fine (key on, no engine). First time I
                  started the car the lights all came on, then went off and have not
                  come on since.
                  When I start the car it takes a few (maybe 3 or 4) seconds for
                  the "limp mode" light to come on.
                  Hope this helps. I really appreciate the feedback.
                  Jim -

                  --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Pearson" <mrcad472@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Do they all go out and the limp mode engage as soon as moved out of
                  park?
                  > KOEO, cycle through the gears. Do any of the select lamps
                  illuminate? Pay
                  > attention if they are on between gears, that indicates a PRNDL
                  sensor out of
                  > adjustment.
                  >
                  > Scott

                • gord_gecko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2 11:50 AM
                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "J Andrade" <camsammy@...> wrote:

                    > No lights on the shifter any time. When I first replaced the switch
                    > and tested it it worked fine (key on, no engine). First time I
                    > started the car the lights all came on, then went off and have not
                    > come on since.

                    Still sounds like a short somewhere to me.

                    Can you bridge a meter in the switch feed wiring and see if it's still
                    in the loop?
                  • Chad
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2 5:11 PM
                      Did you adjust the switch or did you just replace it?  Did you use an ohm meter to adjust the switch?