Re: Coolant leak

  • cateraowners
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 1 6:29 AM
      Sounds like you might also have an oil cooler seal leak, which can
      cause the condition you describe. There is a TSB in the Files
      section on this - 01-06-02-009 - TSB - Low Coolant, Leaks, etc. My
      contacts say this is a very common problem, especially on cars in hot
      climates. If I haven't stuck this one on the Top Ten list yet I'm
      about to, as my car has some variation of this one, or a bad temp
      sensor (another TSB). Look for the Service Manuals on eBay, they are
      well worth it. You can see a list of all TSB titles at Alldata.com
      but have to subscribe to get full info. And the dealer should be
      able to show you the TSB's if they have a clue - but check the Files
      section here for most of the major ones.

      --- In CateraOwners@y..., "tuctem" <tuctem@y...> wrote:
      > Arter a trip around town , the car went pee-pee in the carport.-
      > Turned out to be a coolant leak.- The car is a 2000, with 15800 mi.-
      > Car fixed under warranty; it only got to 105F here that day...the
      > real heat has not arrived yet. Dealer replaced the "HOT WATER
      VALVE'-
      > as described in the work order - part # 90566947 .- So far i have
      > been too cheap to buy the service manual... anybody out there knows
      > what is the function of this part and locatioon in the engine?
      > Is it possible to get the listings of the TSB's performed in this
      > particular car? Dealer sez "call GM"...thx all.
    • Chad
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 29, 2007
        the HCV is black plastic with 3 hoses going to it.  It was at one time attached to the block with a bracket but most of the time they are just loose in there now.  I reach in and can get to the valve now.  Before I squeezed my hands in there I removed the upper intake to get extra room.  You can also remove the wipers and cowl to get room or use the access door next to the hepa filter.