vibration

  • arthursturgis
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 7:54 AM
      I want to be certain I understand the current status of a well known
      Catera problem accurately. When cold, the rear end, or driveshaft,
      seems to vibrate around 30 mph until the rear end oil warms up. This
      usually takes a mile or two, but can be longer in real cold weather.
      My understanding is that the cause of this vibration is not
      understood. Some owners have reported that changing to a synthetic
      rear end oil helps reduce these symptoms. Is this accurate? Are
      there no theories as to what causes this vibration?
    • robvelj
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 9:10 AM
        Currently working on one. Still gathering together info.

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "arthursturgis"
        <arthur.sturgis@v...> wrote:
        > I want to be certain I understand the current status of a well
        known
      • cateraowners
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 4:03 AM
          Yes, it's a common issue, and yes, synthetic gear oil seems to help
          some.

          <arthur.sturgis@v...> wrote:
          > I want to be certain I understand the current status of a well
          known
          > Catera problem accurately. When cold, the rear end, or
          driveshaft,
          > seems to vibrate around 30 mph until the rear end oil warms up.
          This
          > usually takes a mile or two, but can be longer in real cold
          weather.
          > My understanding is that the cause of this vibration is not
          > understood. Some owners have reported that changing to a synthetic
          > rear end oil helps reduce these symptoms. Is this accurate? Are
          > there no theories as to what causes this vibration?
        • krist_eros
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006

            hi all

            99 Cat ~72Km mint.

            got a vibration when more than 60 miles.

            Swapped the rear tires-15km with the front and the vibration persists.

            I noticed that the vibration intensity is load dependend, that is when I let the gas pedal off the vibration reduces.

            I checked visually the drive shaft and the rubber couplings look good.

            I know that some of you are experienced technicians.

            Would you have any suggestions for my problem?

            thanx, kris

          • Eric Summers
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006
              I'm not an expert, but usually you can narrow down if it is the engine if the vibration is
              always at the same RPM or the suspension/wheel balance if it is always at the same speed
              range. See what your RPMs are at around 60 mph and drive at the same RPM in another
              gear and see if you still get vibration.

              I resently had vibration between 50-60. It would reduce when gas wasn't applied, but it
              was only speed dependant. Turns out that it was just unbalanced tires. The tires were
              one year old. Reading other posts it seams that this happens pretty often on the catera.

              Hope this helps.

              --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "krist_eros" <krist_eros@...> wrote:

              > hi all
              >
              > 99 Cat ~72Km mint.
              >
              > got a vibration when more than 60 miles.
              >
              > Swapped the rear tires-15km with the front and the vibration persists.
              >
              > I noticed that the vibration intensity is load dependend, that is when I
              > let the gas pedal off the vibration reduces.
              >
              > I checked visually the drive shaft and the rubber couplings look good.
              >
              > I know that some of you are experienced technicians.
              >
              > Would you have any suggestions for my problem?
              >
              > thanx, kris

            • krist_eros
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2008
                I had a vibration more evident in hi speeds and I could not identify
                the source. Well, I raised the car in the back and on steady blocks and
                tried to spin the wheels but the ABS did not allow-so, I removed fuse
                #19 and deactivated the ABS, so I was able to spin the wheels in the
                rear. the wife was stepping on the gas pedal upon my directions and at
                3000 rpm I saw the wheel vibrating the entire car. Wheel was spin
                balanced and now I enjoy again my Cat at hiway speeds.
              • Alex Capaldi
                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2008
                  i'm a bit confused, are you still having a problem? given your description I would have suggested you look in to the balance (and ware pattern) on the tire.

                  -Alex

                  ________________________________
                  > To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: krist_eros@...
                  > Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 07:15:57 +0000
                  > Subject: [CateraOwners] vibration
                  >

                  > I had a vibration more evident in hi speeds and I could not identify
                  > the source. Well, I raised the car in the back and on steady blocks and
                  > tried to spin the wheels but the ABS did not allow-so, I removed fuse
                  > #19 and deactivated the ABS, so I was able to spin the wheels in the
                  > rear. the wife was stepping on the gas pedal upon my directions and at
                  > 3000 rpm I saw the wheel vibrating the entire car. Wheel was spin
                  > balanced and now I enjoy again my Cat at hiway speeds.
                  >

                  > Messages in this topic
                  Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.
                • krist_eros
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2008
                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Alex Capaldi <geekfx@...> wrote:

                    > i'm a bit confused, are you still having a problem? given your
                    description I would have suggested you look in to the balance (and
                    ware pattern) on the tire.

                    > -Alex
                    >
                    > hey Alex
                    the wear pattern of my tires is perfect-perfect alignment-but the
                    internal threads of the tire do move and cause the tire to go out of
                    balance-that happened apparently to my Cat and I did have the
                    vibration even though it was the rear wheel. The wheel was balanced
                    and the shake disappeared.
                    the only reason I communicated this to this forum is to show the spin
                    technique I used to identify the problem.
                    kris