1999 Catera Bad EBTCM? WILL IT RUIN THE TRANSMISSION?

  • michael.blackman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      MY ENGINE ,TCM (TRACTION), AND ABS WARNING LIGHTS STAY ON. THE
      SPEEDOMETER DOES NOT WORK. THE CAR DRIVES GREAT! I HAD THE SPEED SENSOR
      REPLACED BUT THE SPEEDOMENTER STILL WON'T WORK. MY QUESTION IS: WILL
      THE EBTCM MODULE CAUSE A TRANSMISSION TO GO OUT. MY TRANSMISSION WAS
      REBUILT AND RUNS GREAT. THE SHOP OWNER REFUSED TO HONOR THE YEAR
      WARRANTY BECAUSE HE SAID A DEFECTIVE MODULE WOULD RUIN THE
      TRANSMISSION. AMAZINGLY HE REPAIRED THE TRANSMISSION WITH THE SAME
      WARNING LIGHTS STAYING ON WHEN I FIRST HAD THE WORK DONE.
      MICHAEL
    • proseadvocate
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008
        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, michael.blackman <no_reply@...>
        wrote:

        > MY ENGINE ,TCM (TRACTION), AND ABS WARNING LIGHTS STAY ON. THE
        > SPEEDOMETER DOES NOT WORK. THE CAR DRIVES GREAT! I HAD THE SPEED
        SENSOR
        > REPLACED BUT THE SPEEDOMENTER STILL WON'T WORK. MY QUESTION IS: WILL
        > THE EBTCM MODULE CAUSE A TRANSMISSION TO GO OUT. MY TRANSMISSION WAS
        > REBUILT AND RUNS GREAT. THE SHOP OWNER REFUSED TO HONOR THE YEAR
        > WARRANTY BECAUSE HE SAID A DEFECTIVE MODULE WOULD RUIN THE
        > TRANSMISSION. AMAZINGLY HE REPAIRED THE TRANSMISSION WITH THE SAME
        > WARNING LIGHTS STAYING ON WHEN I FIRST HAD THE WORK DONE.
        > MICHAEL

        I can't imagine why it would. Warranties are as good as the people that
        issue them. At small shops or even some franchises, warranty expense
        comes out of their pockets, that's why they get inventive.