Re: New kind of heater problem

  • gord_gecko
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Eric J. McKirdy" <emckirdy@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I've been reading along with the various heater problems, and just
      > today my 97 Catera developed a problem along the same lines.
      >
      > The heater works fine as long as the car is in motion, especially
      > above 45 MPH or so. When I stop for a light, the air turns cold,
      and
      > doesn't warm up again until I've been moving for a minute or so.
      Then
      > it stays hot until the next stoplight or intersection. I drove
      about
      > 75 miles today, and it has done this consistently all day. Fine on
      > the freeway, and then once in town, the problems began.
      >
      > Any ideas what causes this? Google and the archives here haven't
      > turned up anything. Thanks in advance.

      First thing I'd check would be the vacuum line to the HCV.
      If it's got a small leak, it would require higher rpms to pull enough
      vacuum to actuate.
    • maynard1929
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
        Many thanks Bob for the info
        Maynard

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bob@...> wrote:

        > You shouldnt have to buy headlamp assemblies.. there are several
        products out there you can use to remove the oxidation and discoloring..
        one is here http://www.mdwholesale.com/

        > Bob
        > www.caddyhummer.com
        >
        > maynard1929 maynardmartin@... wrote:
        > Hi Everyone
        > I find this a very informative site a lot of helpful people
        > I am the proud owner of a 2001 Sport which I bought new and have had
        > no major problems
        > I just bought a used 2000 Premium to use in Florida as the drive from
        > up north is getting to much for this 78 year old
        > Has anyone any idea where I can purchase the complete assembly other
        > than the dealer or can they be restored
        > Any advice is much appreciated
        > Keep up the good work the Catera is one of the finest cars on the road
        > Maynard

      • maynard1929
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
          Hi Gord
          Thanks I will give it a try
          I am in Sarasota
          Maynard

          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@...>

        • LoganDiagnostic@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
            2000 grit sandpaper. Note: Yes, there is 2000 grit sandpaper available. See your local automotive paint supply. Then plastic polish.

            Logan Diagnostic
            615.479.1900
            www.airbagcrash.com
            www.ledfix.com
            www.logandieselusa.com

          • gord_gecko
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
              <maynardmartin@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gord
              > Thanks I will give it a try
              > I am in Sarasota
              > Maynard

              600 grit
              1000 grit
              1500 grit
              2000 grit
              then polish cutter

              I got the s/p in the body work section and the polish in the
              headlight section.

              Are the internal headlight adjuster mounts still intact?
              If so, drop me a line at gord_gecko at yahoo dot com.
            • gord_gecko
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                wrote:

                > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "maynard1929"
                > <maynardmartin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Gord
                > > Thanks I will give it a try
                > > I am in Sarasota
                > > Maynard
                >
                > 600 grit
                > 1000 grit
                > 1500 grit
                > 2000 grit
                > then polish cutter
                >
                > I got the s/p in the body work section and the polish in the
                > headlight section.

                All at Autozone.

                > Are the internal headlight adjuster mounts still intact?
                > If so, drop me a line at gord_gecko at yahoo dot com.

              • navinst1300
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Try this it really works.
                  http://www.crystalviewchemicals.com/myheadlight/--- In
                  CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@...> wrote:

                  > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "maynard1929"
                  > > <maynardmartin@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Gord
                  > > > Thanks I will give it a try
                  > > > I am in Sarasota
                  > > > Maynard
                  > >
                  > > 600 grit
                  > > 1000 grit
                  > > 1500 grit
                  > > 2000 grit
                  > > then polish cutter
                  > >
                  > > I got the s/p in the body work section and the polish in the
                  > > headlight section.
                  >
                  > All at Autozone.
                  >

                  > > Are the internal headlight adjuster mounts still intact?
                  > > If so, drop me a line at gord_gecko at yahoo dot com.

                • Chad
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                    Is it full of coolant?  If so its probably the electric water pump under the coolant reservoir.

                    I've been reading along with the various heater problems, and just
                    today my 97 Catera developed a problem along the same lines.

                    The heater works fine as long as the car is in motion, especially
                    above 45 MPH or so. When I stop for a light, the air turns cold, and
                    doesn't warm up again until I've been moving for a minute or so. Then
                    it stays hot until the next stoplight or intersection. I drove about
                    75 miles today, and it has done this consistently all day. Fine on
                    the freeway, and then once in town, the problems began.

                    Any ideas what causes this? Google and the archives here haven't
                    turned up anything. Thanks in advance.

                    Brrrrr,
                    Eric

                  • nzdurante
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Check your auxilliary water pump, mounted on the right inside fender,
                      just below your coolant recovery tank. I know that if that stops
                      working it does exactly what you describe, poor heat at idle and low revs.

                      wrote:

                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > I've been reading along with the various heater problems, and just
                      > today my 97 Catera developed a problem along the same lines.
                      >
                      > The heater works fine as long as the car is in motion, especially
                      > above 45 MPH or so. When I stop for a light, the air turns cold, and
                      > doesn't warm up again until I've been moving for a minute or so. Then
                      > it stays hot until the next stoplight or intersection. I drove about
                      > 75 miles today, and it has done this consistently all day. Fine on
                      > the freeway, and then once in town, the problems began.
                      >
                      > Any ideas what causes this? Google and the archives here haven't
                      > turned up anything. Thanks in advance.
                      >

                      > Brrrrr,
                      > Eric

                    • maynard1929
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Hi Gord
                        What am i looking for the little leveling tube with the bubble in it if
                        so it is intack

                        Rgds Maynard

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 4, 2007
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Gord
                          > What am i looking for the little leveling tube with the bubble in it
                          if
                          > so it is intack

                          Is the bubble in the correct position? i.e. are the headlights level?

                          It's actually the adjusting mounts that I'm looking for, but if the
                          bubble is level, it would indirectly indicate that the mounts are good.

                          email me at

                          gord_gecko @
                          hotmail dot com