Re: 1998 Catera

  • rydrew55
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2007
      I had the same problem (radio)and it was one of the 2 aux water pumps,
      which was shorting. I replaced both of them along with the fuse(the car
      was under warantee at the time) and the problem was solved. It looks
      like nzdurante had a similar experience.

      As far as the battery goes, I too have struggled with that problem. I'm
      on my 3rd battery. This one is holding up much better and I have not
      gotten around to replacing the pinkish pos cable as I should (many
      posts on the subject). Food for thought - This battery has lasted
      longer than the previous 2. I replaced it around the same time as the
      pumps. Still, the pos cable is probably the culprit.
      Good luck
      RYDREW55

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "extraclass7" <extraclass7@...>
      wrote:

      > We just got this car with 75,000 miles on it. The radiator needed to
      > be replaced, which we did. Car is in excellent condition inside and
      > out. BUT. The fuse for the radio blows everytime we start the car,
      > altho it will play in the access position. Now, the car battery just
      > dies....at will. Hooked it up to a computer and it says that there
      > was nothing wrong with it. While the car was running it says that
      all
      > the coil packs were off??? Any suggestions?

    • extraclass7
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 2007
        I need to ask a stupid question. I am sooooooo not familiar
        w/caddy's, but, am pretty handy with old chevy's and fords(lol). But,
        i am going to replace that battery cable and was wondering if the
        cable runs straight to the starter, or is it otherwise 'attached'.
        I'm a little gun shy of messing with this until i know what else i'm
        looking for. Havent had a chance to even get to it since i got the
        info from you guys as it's been pouring cats and dogs here. BUT,
        dying to get in there and see if this works. Also was wondering if
        there's anymore ideas on this fuse blowing for the radio. I know it's
        probably stupid to ask this, but, i am guessing i could have a more
        serious electrical problem since this fuse blows after about only 10
        mins of radio play. All help is greatly appreciated and thanks so
        much for the assist thus far.
      • Chad
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 2007
          The cat is not really a caddy it made my opel and then has the caddy emblem on it.

          Its not  hard to do.  remove the intake tube in front of the motor then the cover that hides the wire.  I would just run the oil pressure wire around the alt instead of removing it to run the wire.  the wire splits at the end to goto the alt and starter.  The hardest part is the 10mm bolt that goes on the motor mount along with removing the alt, if you run the oil pressure wire the factory way.

          Unplug the water pump in the back side of the radiator above the fan by the battery and see if you radio works longer.  If it does you need a new water pump.

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 27, 2010
            New engine with less than 100 miles. Car has 55,000 miles. When the car is put into drive, it automatically goes into second gear. This causes the car to stall when you come to a stop. I was told from a mechanic it would cost anywhere from $200-$400 to fix. for a transmission solenoid. it started after new motor was put in????Any ideas or is the mechanic right?????
          • darien
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 16, 2012
              I just put a fuel filter and fuel pump on my 98 Cat. Now the Coolant Light is on but it's coolant in it. What can cause it and since putting the new fuel filter and pump in the car it now use more gas then the gas gauge goes from having gas to no gas but gas is in the vehicle can anyone help.
            • Brennan
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 19, 2012
                I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.
              • tuctem
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012
                  ...What !!!? this is love at first sight...it happened to me in 2001 for
                  a 2000Cat...if this is the case pay your 4000 - but realistically
                  speaking - start your bid at 500.00 ...or even better, do not touch this
                  car...read, read, and read the history of these cars in this forum from
                  97 to 2001 models you'll be saving money ; true a few have gotten way
                  over the 100+ K miles but some are 100% hands on types who - including
                  myself- spend many hours and $$ in repairs...

                  I loved it -don't miss it

                  --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Brennan" <brennan.scanlon@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and
                  is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay
                  away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by
                  now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.

                • D Winder
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012

                    $4000 is way too high for a 98. Also, the early years were the more problematic. But there are on some, perhaps several, on here with or have had 98’s that had few problems.

                    I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.

                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012
                      I would NOT pay $4K for it.. Its not worth that much... I would make an offer of $2K at the very most if you really like it...And yes they are very high maintenance and costly..

                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012
                        No way is the vehicle worth $4,000.00 look at the Kelley Blue Book then go down 2 notches more like $1300.00. The low end on Kelley Blue Book is at $890.00 the high end is at $1500.00. High end meaning in EXCELLENT CONDITION. I doubt the vehicle fits this description. Offer them 1000.00 but no more than 1300.00 You will end up putting more money into it. Better yet Run and do not stop till you reach a Dealer or a Seller that is not trying to dump their money pit onto you, like say Toyota :) or anything else but a Catera. I just failed my smog not because of emissions but because of a dam Fault Code my emissions are great and they will not exempt me till I spend 450.00 first, I have already dumped more than $2,000 since I inherited the vehicle now my ECBM failed. I tell you what buy my 2001.with 53k miles for $1300.00 and we have a deal!
                      • Jeff Egbert
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012
                          They are great cars if you make sure all the items that are trouble spots for the car have been taken care, timing belt, HCV valve, valve cover gaskets ect.
                          I think $4000 is way to much for that year, with that many miles on it. I picked up a 98 with 79k on it  months ago for $1000, it had a lot of little things wrong (no brake lights, missing gas door, remotes didnt work) I have put about another 1200 into it, including 450 today for new tires.but I will say I really enjoy the car. so even if its in good shape plan on spending a $1000 on maintenance to get it where it has no problems and will be a dependable car, there was a list of things to check before buying but I cant seem to find it, maybe another user has a copy of it. good luck

                          On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Brennan <brennan.scanlon@...> wrote:

                          I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.

                        • Ruben Gama
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012
                            D. Winder is right, the price is way to high. I bought my Catera 2000 this past January for $3200.00 with 101k miles on it.

                            I would'nt pay no more than $2500, if you do buy car this forum has wealth of information about the car.

                            Since I bought the car I have had a few problems. It's better than making a $400 car payment.
                            Car runs well and it's nice ride.

                            Hope that helps!

                            Ruben
                            La Verne CA

                            $4000 is way too high for a 98. Also, the early years were the more problematic. But there are on some, perhaps several, on here with or have had 98’s that had few problems.

                            I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.

                          • Angela
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 22, 2012
                              AMEN to that!!!!! RUN for your life!!!!!! LOL

                              wrote:

                              > I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and
                              is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay
                              away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by
                              now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.

                            • Nancy McCammon
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 22, 2012
                                Guess I am one of the fortunate ones with the Catera!  I bought a 2001 Catera Sport 6 yrs ago with 30000 miles on it.  Today it has a little over 98,000 miles on it and I really haven't had to have too much work done on it.  I love the car...it handles great and rides like a dream.  If you're really interested in it, don't pay over the value (which you wouldn't do for any other car) but from my experience they are great cars and I'm so glad I bought it...even tho it appears that were nothing but trouble!  LOVE MY CATERA!  Oh, most important..if you do need repairs DON'T take it to the Cadillac dealer to have it repaired...they have absolutely NO CLUE how to work on them!

                                wrote:

                                > I want to buy a 1998 Catera with 145000 on it. The car tests fine and
                                is $4000. I like the car but all that I have read about it says stay
                                away. Are the cars as bad as they say or have they been sorted out by
                                now? I need a second car not an everyday commuter.

                              • Kal Somogyvary
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 22, 2012
                                  I had a '97 go to 188k and would have gone further but my
                                  mechanic left the damn DexCool exposed to air while he was fixing
                                  a head gasket that got eaten by the DevilCool. That gelled the
                                  DexS%&t and my mechanic didn't flush the D*&%Kool out properly
                                  and it plugged the heater core and most of the plumbing for cooling.

                                  Ya, that's right - it's the cars fault for specifying unproven materials.

                                  I have a '98 now and the dealer in Atlanta did ALL the campaign
                                  work to rectify ALL the political wrangling which brought about the
                                  car in the first place. It is at 133K and counting !

                                  The car is used for taxi and Police service in Germany and Austria !
                                  I bought tires from an Austrian guy ( not the Goobinator ) and he
                                  identified the car immediately and told me this.

                                  Granted it is high maintenance but so are many GM's ! Go Figure.

                                  I would buy a properly looked after one again. Just don't pay too much.

                                  mi 2 sents

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 23, 2012
                                    Ditto. Bought my 2000 in 2002 with 25,000 miles, now have 220,000 miles (thats right, 220,000). Still runs and looks great. Love my CAT.