Re: Oil Cooler problems and motor swap

  • cateraowners <cateraowners@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      Some of these Holden parts may actually become available as part of
      the new GTO, but you wouldn't want to have to pay for them. There is
      another option as well - your car may still be eligible for an
      extended warranty through Warranty Gold, etc. Check the Links
      section and price - you may very well find it worth it, and be able
      to keep driving/affordably fix the Catera for a long time. Good luck.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "kisselvw <kisselvw@y...>"
      <kisselvw@y...> wrote:
      > Catera Crew---
      >
      > I have some questions, and hopefully I can get some decent
      > knowing what I do now), I am in trouble!!!
      > I have a 97 Cat with only 48k, but well out of warranty.
      > I am noticing a burning oil smell from the engine, especially when
      > the car is at idle. Also, the car has excessive steam eminating
      from
      > the exhaust, no matter if the engine is cold or warm. I have
      > contacted the local-yocal Caddy dealer, and they proceeded to tell
      > me that the oil coolers have a seal/leak. After realizing that I am
      > still making payments on my turd of a Cat, I do not want to succumb
      > to the $1000 price tag the dealer quoted me. If I am going to sink
      > that kind of caysh into this car, I'm going to replace the entire
      > motor and be done with it. The dealer actually told me (off record)
      > that I should drive the car until the motor implodes, and then
      bitch
      > really loud at Cadillac, and they will probably replace the motor
      > free of charge because of the low mileage. Now the question
      becomes,
      > do I take the dealer's word for it, or try an unconventional method?
      > I have done extensive research since buying the car, and have come
      > to the realization that the Cat is also a Holden Commodore, or more
      > important, an HSV (like they race in the V8 Supercar series in
      > Australia -- Speedvision shows the series). Does anyone know where
      > to source parts for the car, because I would like nothing more than
      > to surprise a few mustang/camaro owners by showing them up in my 4-
      > door corvette. In Australia, the Cateras have LS1 motors with T56
      > transmissions in them. My local dealer told me there was no way
      that
      > GM would allow them to import the parts from Holden, but there are
      > probably shops that deal with import parts somewhere in the US.
      > Any suggestions and/or comments?!
      > Help me...the Cat is on it's 8 of 9 lives.....
      >
      > Rich
    • Rich Kissling
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        Chad--

        Thanks for the info, and believe you me, I will
        definitely take your words to heart. I have checked
        under the car several times, but have never seen a
        drop of oil on the ground under the car. I've already
        had the belt, tensioner, and the water valve (coolant
        leak) replaced, I actually had to pay for the water
        valve to be replaced, but the belt and tensioner was
        covered by Caddy. While having the belt/tensioner
        replaced, the dealer also replaced the water pump. the
        two services were done about six months apart (belt,
        tensioner, and water pump 10/02). I realize your
        suggestion is to replace the motor with the LS1, which
        would be the preferred method anyways. However, it has
        been impossible to find anyone with connections to get
        the parts imported from Australia. I don't suppose you
        know of anyone importing, or possibly fabricating a
        conversion?!?! ;-)
        I figure not, I cannot imagine the demand would be
        there to make it lucrative. So, I guess it's back to
        the drawing boards, and hope the car sells before
        implosion. If only the dealers would give me more than
        4500 for it....STOOPID GM CARS and crappy resale!!!
        Thanks for the info, and I hope SOMEONE will have some
        immortal words of wisdom to solve my dilemma....

        Thanks Chad, you're a great help to all Catera owners
        here on the board.

        Rich

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/