RE: [CateraOwners] Is it the K relay thingy?

  • Brian Holmes
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2007
      I'm a tad confused on this. I looked under the dash, (steering column), and
      took the cover off. I don't see anything but fuses. Am I looking in the
      right spot?

      Thanks!

      >From: "Dan Allen" <dallen@...>
      >To: <CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [CateraOwners] Is it the K relay thingy?
      >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:18:46 -0400
      >

      >________________________________

      Discover sweet stuff waiting for you at the Messenger Cafe.� Claim your
      treat today!
      http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline2
    • Dan Allen
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2007
        > I'm a tad confused on this. I looked under the dash,
        > (steering column), and took the cover off. I don't see
        > anything but fuses. Am I looking in the right spot?

        I don't think so. Sounds like you just took the padded fuse panel cover off. You
        also need to take the (black?) cardboard panel that's directly above the brake
        pedal off. Then, laying on your back wwth your head next to the pedal look up
        and to your right. It's up there in that tangle of wiring harness over towards
        the left front fender. Just grab hold of it and shove it up and it should slide
        right out of the bracket it's hanging on. May have to wriggle it a bit to find
        the exact direction to lift it but it's not tight. Unplug the harness, plug in
        the new one, slide it back on and button the panels back up. You should be good
        to go
        HTH,

        Dan

      • Brian Holmes
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
          Is there a way to test that this is really the part I need? All the fuses
          are fine.

          >From: "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@...>
          >To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [CateraOwners] Re: Is it the K relay thingy?
          >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:15:21 -0000
          >
          >--- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Allen" <dallen@...> wrote:
          > >
          >Part number is in the archives if
          > > someone doesn't chime in.

          It�s the Windows Live� Hotmail� you love � on your phone!
          http://www.windowsmobile.com/hotmailmobile?ocid=MobileHMTagline_2
        • gord_gecko
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holmes" <bmh143@...> wrote:

            > Is there a way to test that this is really the part I need? All the
            fuses
            > are fine.

            Remove the pc board from the gray casing and tap on the back of it with
            the head of a screwdriver (while it's still plugged in). That is often
            enough to get the stuck relay(s) to function.

            The problem is that the board runs very hot and the heat seems to
            eventually warp a circuit off the board or seize a relay.
          • Brian Holmes
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
              No dice. I guess it's time for a new one. You know the fog lamps have never
              worked in the 4.5 years I've owned the car? I guess I will now! Also the
              stereo has been "in and out" all that time too.

              I was messing around trying to unhook it and it is VERY secure to the wires.
              I'm worried I might rip something. Also, it is very hot. Will it cool down
              if the car is off awhile?

              >From: "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@...>
              >To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [CateraOwners] Re: Is it the K relay thingy?
              >Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:21:47 -0000
              >
              >--- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holmes" <bmh143@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is there a way to test that this is really the part I need? All the
              >fuses
              > > are fine.
              >
              >Remove the pc board from the gray casing and tap on the back of it with
              >the head of a screwdriver (while it's still plugged in). That is often
              >enough to get the stuck relay(s) to function.
              >
              >The problem is that the board runs very hot and the heat seems to
              >eventually warp a circuit off the board or seize a relay.

              Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
              Caf�. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1
            • gord_gecko
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                > I was messing around trying to unhook it and it is VERY secure to the
                wires.

                Yeah, you have to work it back and forth for a while.
                I think the heat/cool cycling also tends to seize the coupling.

                > I'm worried I might rip something. Also, it is very hot. Will it cool
                down
                > if the car is off awhile?

                Yes. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery anyway before
                swapping it.
              • Brian Holmes
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                  thanks for the advice. Do they ship you the grey box and the circuit board
                  or just the board?

                  >From: "gord_gecko" <gord_gecko@...>
                  >To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [CateraOwners] Re: Is it the K relay thingy?
                  >Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:09:45 -0000
                  >

                  > > I was messing around trying to unhook it and it is VERY secure to the
                  >wires.
                  >
                  >Yeah, you have to work it back and forth for a while.
                  >I think the heat/cool cycling also tends to seize the coupling.
                  >
                  > > I'm worried I might rip something. Also, it is very hot. Will it cool
                  >down
                  > > if the car is off awhile?
                  >
                  >Yes. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery anyway before
                  >swapping it.

                  Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
                  http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
                • gord_gecko
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2007
                    --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holmes" <bmh143@...> wrote:

                    > thanks for the advice. Do they ship you the grey box and the circuit
                    board
                    > or just the board?

                    Box.
                  • Brian Holmes
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 12, 2007

                      This is kind of silly, but what is a safe way to disconnect the battery?

                      To: CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com
                      From: gord_gecko@...
                      Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:09:45 +0000
                      Subject: [CateraOwners] Re: Is it the K relay thingy?

                      > I was messing around trying to unhook it and it is VERY secure to the
                      wires.

                      Yeah, you have to work it back and forth for a while.
                      I think the heat/cool cycling also tends to seize the coupling.

                      > I'm worried I might rip something. Also, it is very hot. Will it cool
                      down
                      > if the car is off awhile?

                      Yes. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery anyway before
                      swapping it.

                      Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo! Play now!
                    • gord_gecko
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 12, 2007
                        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Brian Holmes <bmh143@...> wrote:

                        > This is kind of silly, but what is a safe way to disconnect the
                        battery?

                        1) Wear safety glasses. I had one go off in my face when I was a punk
                        and it was just dumb luck I didn't suffer permanent damage.

                        2) Use the right size box-end wrench so you couldn't short the
                        terminals even if you tried.

                        3) Disconnect the negative terminal then wrap the business end of the
                        cable. I usually stuff it into the thumb of a pair of welders mitts.

                        4) Disconnect the positive side.