Transmission

  • tjprog
    Message 1 of 24 , May 6, 2002
      Hi group,
      Have 97 Catera - 38K mi.
      When driving up-hill and then down-hill
      my tansmission down-shifts itself, with
      no action from me. It's weird because
      I could feel it. Also shift-up with
      a delay when accelerating. When cold,
      shifting from P to R or D makes car
      jumpy and noise. Still have warranty
      Any opinion is appreciated.
      Thanks
    • Tim Loftus
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7, 2002
        Hi tjprog,
        Glad someone brought this up though I vaguely recall seeing a post on this topic somewhere else.  I have a '01 Catera with 3k miles.  If I'm cruising along in 4th gear, say about 45 miles/hr., as soon as the road dips down, particularly if I take my foot off the accelerator to coast, the trans decides for itself to downshift into third.   One route home for me is very sinuous and hilly; the car can't make up it's mind what gear to be in.  Locking it in third gear would solve the problem I suppose, but it would be nice if the car would stay in fourth gear until a depression on the gas pedal (do people still use that term?) asked for a downshift.

        Can't comment on your other issue.  If you give the car a chance to sit and high idle after startup, say 30-60 seconds, will it still "jump and make noise"?

        ttl
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7, 2002
          As the owner of a 97 who needed a new transmission at
          58K I will add my .02 worth.

          If your trans is downshifting on the way up the hill
          that is normal. One of the best aspects of this car
          is the part throttle downshifts. They are controlled
          by the computer and provide good performance. If you
          are running in sport mode the downshifts happen
          sooner.

          When the car is cold the car may jump a little when
          going into gear by nature of the idle being higher.
          If it is making noises you should have that checked
          out. Also when cold the car will hold in the lower
          gears for a longer time. This is normal and the
          intent is to speed up the warm up cycle for the
          engine. You can bypass this by selecting sport mode
          when cold.

          I live in the beautiful flatlands of northern Illinois
          so I cannot even compare how the car reacts when going
          down hill. I am driving to Iowa Thursday so I will
          pay attention to how the transmission acts on hills
          and post later.

          Keith

          --- Tim Loftus <tloftus@...> wrote:
          > Hi tjprog,
          > Glad someone brought this up though I vaguely recall
          > seeing a post on this topic somewhere else. I have
          > a '01 Catera with 3k miles. If I'm cruising along
          > in 4th gear, say about 45 miles/hr., as soon as the
          > road dips down, particularly if I take my foot off
          > the accelerator to coast, the trans decides for
          > itself to downshift into third. One route home for
          > me is very sinuous and hilly; the car can't make up
          > it's mind what gear to be in. Locking it in third
          > gear would solve the problem I suppose, but it would
          > be nice if the car would stay in fourth gear until a
          > depression on the gas pedal (do people still use
          > that term?) asked for a downshift.
          >
          > Can't comment on your other issue. If you give the
          > car a chance to sit and high idle after startup, say
          > 30-60 seconds, will it still "jump and make noise"?
          >
          > ttl

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Keith Onchuck
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2002
            All

            I finally fixed the oil pressure problem in the 97. I
            posted an error last time with some false information
            from the parts counter person. There are two sending
            units however one is for the oil level and the other
            is for the oil pressure.

            My problem was two fold. First I switched brands of
            oil to Exxon 10W30 and for some reason it seemed to
            break down in 2400 miles. When I drained it, the oil
            was real thin. There was no sign of anything in the
            oil. I went back to Valvoline 10W40, which is what I
            normally, run. I also found out the sending unit was
            bad. I installed an Autometer gauge temporally and
            was able to verify the pressure was correct yet the
            gauge on the dash was reading wrong. I installed the
            new sending unit and it is working like a charm again.

            Keith

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • mcgaryal
            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2002
              As far as I know, the downshift you experience when driving
              down-hill is part of the traction control. Have you tried turning
              TCS off by pushing the button on the dash next to your radio?

              When car is cold, tap (not stomp) the gas pedal lightly before
              shifting into D or R from P. This will make the idle drop a little.

              The noise you are referring to...is it a squeak sound coming from
              the rear (most noticeable when shifting from R to D)?? The
              squeak is coming from the rear brakes if this is true and is
              normal.

              --- In CateraOwners@y..., tjprog <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Hi group,
              > Have 97 Catera - 38K mi.
              > When driving up-hill and then down-hill
              > my tansmission down-shifts itself, with
              > no action from me. It's weird because
              > I could feel it. Also shift-up with
              > a delay when accelerating. When cold,
              > shifting from P to R or D makes car
              > jumpy and noise. Still have warranty
              > Any opinion is appreciated.
              > Thanks
            • grw588
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2002
                I believe the down-shift characteristics you describe are by
                design. The engineers try to build in intelligence or 'fuzzy logic'
                to the shift patterns. I don't have enough knowledge to tell you
                all of the data inputs the computer is reading to tell it to
                downshift. It does a pretty good job of simulating typical shifting
                patterns in a manual trans. I personally think it is an excellent
                transmission in that regard, although it is not perfect - none are.
                GM Europe sold about 100k of these units to BMW each year and
                continue to sell them more updated units.

                I would agree that if you are accustomed to most domestic
                transmissions, this would be a big change.

              • rebwnd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 8, 2002
                  The downshifting is a designed feature of this transmission. Also, it is
                  designed to not shift up from second to third gear when cold, until the
                  Catalytic converter is up to operating temperature. This usually takes only
                  about two minutes. It will up shift if you go past 30mph in second. I will
                  try to place this info from the manual into a file and attach it in another
                  email.
                • rebwnd@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 8, 2002
                    See these attached files from ALLDATA
                  • Tim Loftus
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 10, 2002
                      Thanks for the idea, however, turning the TCS off does not change the behaviour of the trans when the road slopes down. It still decides for itself to downshift into third.
                      As far as I know, the downshift you experience when driving
                      down-hill is part of the traction control. Have you tried turning
                      TCS off by pushing the button on the dash next to your radio?

                      When car is cold, tap (not stomp) the gas pedal lightly before
                      shifting into D or R from P. This will make the idle drop a little.

                      The noise you are referring to...is it a squeak sound coming from
                      the rear (most noticeable when shifting from R to D)?? The
                      squeak is coming from the rear brakes if this is true and is
                      normal.

                      --- In CateraOwners@y..., tjprog <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > Hi group,
                      > Have 97 Catera - 38K mi.
                      > When driving up-hill and then down-hill
                      > my tansmission down-shifts itself, with
                      > no action from me. It's weird because
                      > I could feel it. Also shift-up with
                      > a delay when accelerating. When cold,
                      > shifting from P to R or D makes car
                      > jumpy and noise. Still have warranty
                      > Any opinion is appreciated.
                      > Thanks

                    • Len Suelter
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 10, 2002
                        I drive one around the hills of Birmingham and find this feature allows the use of engine braking rather than riding the brakes whilst going down hill.

                        Len Suelter
                        Thanks for the idea, however, turning the TCS off does not change the behaviour of the trans when the road slopes down. It still decides for itself to downshift into third.
                        As far as I know, the downshift you experience when driving
                        down-hill is part of the traction control. Have you tried turning
                        TCS off by pushing the button on the dash next to your radio?

                        When car is cold, tap (not stomp) the gas pedal lightly before
                        shifting into D or R from P. This will make the idle drop a little.

                        The noise you are referring to...is it a squeak sound coming from
                        the rear (most noticeable when shifting from R to D)?? The
                        squeak is coming from the rear brakes if this is true and is
                        normal.

                        --- In CateraOwners@y..., tjprog <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > Hi group,
                        > Have 97 Catera - 38K mi.
                        > When driving up-hill and then down-hill
                        > my tansmission down-shifts itself, with
                        > no action from me. It's weird because
                        > I could feel it. Also shift-up with
                        > a delay when accelerating. When cold,
                        > shifting from P to R or D makes car
                        > jumpy and noise. Still have warranty
                        > Any opinion is appreciated.
                        > Thanks

                      • Chad
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 8, 2002
                          Don't take this the wrong way but I have written many times how to do it.
                          When you search the archives you will find it.

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 15, 2003
                            Well it looks like a complete rebuild is gonna be 2500-3k plus the
                            engine work related to my coolant and oil leak. Dealer said most of
                            the time the heads are not the main culprit and I need to bring it
                            in couldnt get an esitimate over the phone but i think this is so
                            they can get me in for the 90$ system check. Looks like I'm just
                            going to trade this in as is. Tired of all the bs.
                          • Pavel Sramek
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 8, 2004
                              Hi,

                              Any advice on changing a Fluid and filter?

                              Thanks
                            • Atom Ant
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 11, 2005
                                I am trying to remove the switch assembly from the shifter shaft on the transmission.  the 2 bolts are removed but the assembly will not come off.  Is there a locking mech. or maybe corrosion keeping this from coming off.  I don't want to pry too hard. Also can't seem to find where the trans fluid fill plug is located on this 1997 model.  I am going to change ther filter and fluid but will not until I find the  fill hole.

                                Adam
                              • catera36
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 11, 2005
                                  the filler hole is on the pass. side of the pan

                                  Atom Ant <APorter3@...> wrote:
                                  I am trying to remove the switch assembly from the shifter shaft on the transmission.  the 2 bolts are removed but the assembly will not come off.  Is there a locking mech. or maybe corrosion keeping this from coming off.  I don't want to pry too hard. Also can't seem to find where the trans fluid fill plug is located on this 1997 model.  I am going to change ther filter and fluid but will not until I find the  fill hole.

                                  Adam

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • Chad
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 12, 2005
                                    If your trying to replace the park neutral safety switch it should pry off when the two bolts are removed.  Why do you want to take it off?  You don't have to remove it to remove the pan.  It needs to go back exactly like it was.  (look at the marks the bolts left on the switch) or you will have to readjust it.

                                    The drain plug is on the other side of the rear pan.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 12, 2005
                                      Have the codes checked again unless you know what p1700 stands for.  I think p1700 is a generic tranny code that means you have to then check the TCM for codes instead of the PCM.  If it starts off in 3rd gear this is most likely the problem.  I don't think you will see anything wrong with it when you look at it.  the tranny fill plug is on the rear tranny pan on the other side of the transmission as the switch (passenger side)
                                      Chad:  I have a tramission light and check engine come on after about 10 miles.  Code is  P 1700.  I believe you mention earlier about a bad park neutral switch.  I wanted to remove and check it.  also wanted to change  trans filter and fluid but can't find the  fill plug. where is that?

                                      Adam

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 12, 2005

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 12, 2005
                                          It does start in 3rd.  I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it.  123,000 may need the fluid changed anyway.  after shuting, off the transmission works fine until the light comes back on. Still think it's the switch.

                                          Adam

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 13, 2005
                                            Hey guys, sorry about the duplicate threads if anybody is getting annoyed
                                            but the time has come and these have got to go...

                                            I just bought some brand new 20" rims for my Cat this morning, so the 19s
                                            have to go - to the highest bidder.

                                            I'm open to any and all offers. Just a little background on the wheels:

                                            Bought in September of 2004 for $2,000 and put on the car. Taken off the car
                                            in October of 2004 for the winter (I live in Wisconsin, lots of snow!). Put
                                            them back on my car last month, and just had them removed today.

                                            The wheels are 19x8 and do not rub at all in any situation. Two of the
                                            wheels have very very minor curb rash, one you can barely even see up close,
                                            the other you have to be up close and look hard to notice.

                                            I am selling the wheels and tires, all mounted and balanced and ready to go.
                                            The best offer takes 'em, and buyer pays shipping. Thanks guys!

                                            Pic: http://members.cardomain.com/ea5tsid3

                                            I can take more pics per request if you want... let me know what you want to
                                            see or what angle, etc.

                                          • Erik
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 13, 2005
                                              Do you think the "snowflake" button/switch might be shorted out?
                                              When activated, the button causes the transmission to start in 3rd
                                              gear to provide better traction on slippery surfaces. After you get
                                              going a bit, it turns itself off. So, maybe it's just stuck on. Then
                                              again, maybe not. Just my 2 cents.

                                              -Erik

                                              --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Atom Ant" <APorter3@C...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > It does start in 3rd. I am trying to figure out what is wrong
                                              with it. 123,000 may need the fluid changed anyway. after shuting,
                                              off the transmission works fine until the light comes back on. Still
                                              think it's the switch.

                                              > Adam
                                            • Chad
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 13, 2005
                                                I still think its the switch.  From the ones I have changed that had this problem I couldn't see anything wrong with them on the outside.  I never took one apart to look inside.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 13, 2005
                                                  Where is the wiring plug. The wires are molded to the switch and go into a bundle.  Snow flake works fine and so does sport mode.  when the transmission light comes on neither one works.  I would call it limp mode.  seems to come on after about 5-10 miles on the freeway like clock work.  I should have my manuals this week.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 14, 2005
                                                    there's a plug on the wires about 6-8 inches up from the switch.