Re: new catera owner

  • nova_kar
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
      I purchased a 98 and the engine ran hot on the way home
      when the water pump failed. A year and a half later after
      spending thousands I decided to try an engine from a
      roll over. I got one for $1250 + $1000 to install. I
      had the VIN # checked by Cadillac and all of the recalls,
      etc. had been done on the roll over so I tried it. No
      problems, good oil pressure, etc. Some garages were asking
      $5,000 to change heads, etc. and still would not guarantee
      that would fix the problem. When the mechanic was moving the
      water pump to the roll-over engine he noticed my old engine
      was cracked right behind the water pump. Nothing any of the
      dealers and garages were proposing would have found or fixed
      that so I feel like I came out ahead. I had already spent over
      $3,000 on
      the engine prior to making the decision to go with a roll-over.
      It worked best for me. If you paid less than $3,000 for your
      Catera you might want to consider selling it for parts and
      move on to something less troublesome. During 20,000 miles the
      past three years my maintenance has run around $0.40 per mile.
      The Catera can be an expensive car.

      Good Luck!

      Nova_Kar

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Deuble <jjmd1979@...>
      wrote:

      > The head is cracked/gasket, not holding oil pressure, and not what
      else is wrong. The garage said to put a new engine in it.

      > mcarcher10 <archer.michael@...> wrote: --- In
      CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Deuble <jjmd1979@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a 98 Catera, good luck!! I am having engine problems, my
      > tire rod needs replaced, and the brake light switches. I have been
      > told by alot of people that the cateras are proned to have issues
      > with the brake light switches.
      > >
      > > Joe Stegbauer <sojo002000@> wrote: I would have them
      > check out the whole car! If you take a look at all of the common
      > problems on this site you will have a good idea!
      > >
      > > mcarcher10 <archer.michael@> wrote: I Just puchased a
      > 1998 Catera. I love it. I have a 30 day warrenty on
      > > it. I've already noticed that the wheel bearing(s)need to be
      > replaced.
      > > I will make an appointment for that. Does anyone know of anything
      > else
      > > that I should check/address, while I'm at it?
      > >

      > >What sort of engine problems? A friend's friend had the same brake
      > light switch problem. I wonder if they would fix it? Is it a
      > recall/TSB fix?

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Lionel Stutz
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
        I have two 97 Cateras for sale as parts cars. Both have Bose radios
        with 12 disc Delco CD players in trunk. These vehicles are not
        wrecked and are located thirty miles north of Atlanta. They will be
        sold individually for a very reasonable price to a Catera Owners
        member. All offers will be considered after your inspection.

        Lionel Stutz 1645 Scott Rd. Canton GA. 30115. 770-720-7698