Re: Chad

  • rydrew55
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      If I had to guess, it's probably electrical. Everything is controlled
      by the computer and sensors. It even increases the idle when you put
      on the heat or ac to compensate for the extra load. I'll check the
      service manual tonight for trouble shooting etc. and let you know
      what I find tonight.

      --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Chad" <RX7351W@...> wrote:

      > I've not seen this yet. You can try to lube the cable but I would
      wait till it happens then open the hood and try to move the linkage
      back to where it is suppost to be at idle, this way you should beable
      to see if it is binding. If it not binding it could be electrical.
      Have you checked the cruise cable also?

    • Harry Freeman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        Greetings ( + )!( + )

        I'm not sure if the Catera uses this schema, but some automobiles used
        to have a two step idle position which would not let the throttle close
        all of the way until the RPM's went below a predetermined revolution
        point.

        What would happen is that the idle stop was a two step stop and when
        you increased the RPM's the step on the idle stop would move into
        position so that when you release the throttle that instead of your
        normal idle RPM's would be boosted up by about 500 RPMs.

        Perhaps Chad will know if this SMOG gimmick is used on the Cat.
        On Nov 1, 2006, at 6:04 AM, rydrew55 wrote:

        > If I had to guess, it's probably electrical. Everything is controlled
        > by the computer and sensors. It even increases the idle when you put
        > on the heat or ac to compensate for the extra load. I'll check the
        > service manual tonight for trouble shooting etc. and let you know
        > what I find tonight.
        >
        > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Chad" <RX7351W@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've not seen this yet. You can try to lube the cable but I would
        > wait till it happens then open the hood and try to move the linkage
        > back to where it is suppost to be at idle, this way you should beable
        > to see if it is binding. If it not binding it could be electrical.
        > Have you checked the cruise cable also?

        Cheers, /\*_*/\

        Harry (*^_^*)
        * If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
        Congress!
        Men's restroom House of Representatives,
        Washington, DC
      • akamai
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          Thank you for your help rydrew55.

          Tom

          --- rydrew55 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > If I had to guess, it's probably electrical.
          > Everything is controlled
          > by the computer and sensors. It even increases the
          > idle when you put
          > on the heat or ac to compensate for the extra load.
          > I'll check the
          > service manual tonight for trouble shooting etc. and
          > let you know
          > what I find tonight.
          >

          > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "Chad"
          > <RX7351W@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've not seen this yet. You can try to lube the
          > cable but I would
          > wait till it happens then open the hood and try to
          > move the linkage
          > back to where it is suppost to be at idle, this way
          > you should beable
          > to see if it is binding. If it not binding it could
          > be electrical.
          > Have you checked the cruise cable also?

          (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
        • Chad
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            He said he checked the throttle cable so that tells me he has a 97-98 cat.  99-01 use fly by wire instead of a throttle cable like we are used to.  The IAC will compensate for engine loads with both set ups.
            If I had to guess, it's probably electrical. Everything is controlled
            by the computer and sensors. It even increases the idle when you put
            on the heat or ac to compensate for the extra load. I'll check the
            service manual tonight for trouble shooting etc. and let you know
            what I find tonight.

            --- In CateraOwners@ yahoogroups. com, "Chad" <RX7351W@... > wrote:

            > I've not seen this yet. You can try to lube the cable but I would
            wait till it happens then open the hood and try to move the linkage
            back to where it is suppost to be at idle, this way you should beable
            to see if it is binding. If it not binding it could be electrical.
            Have you checked the cruise cable also?

          • rydrew55
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
              Like Chad said, if you have the older model, it's setup different so
              the diagnostic procedure changes. Mine is a 2000 with full electrical
              controls including accelerator pedal sensor etc. That said, there are
              a hundred things that could cause the idle to go up. The service
              manual is all over the place without a starting point. Some general
              observations after reading the possibilities.

              Idle sensor
              Trouble codes - Are you sure there are none?
              Air leaks- Plenum gaskets, throttle o rings, manifold, crankcase vent
              tube, etc.
              Sticky throttle blade, not closing all the way
              Injectors

              Sorry I couldn't help and probably made you more confused, but it's
              not a simple diagnosis.

              Good luck
              RYDREW55

            • akamai
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                Yes it is a 1997 Catera. I wont be able to double
                check the cables until this weekend.
                Thanks