Heated seats

  • Jason Arges
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003

      I need some help of finding the source of what smells in my car.  About 2 days ago I got into my car and turned on my heated seat and about 5 minutes later there was a odor that smelled like an electrical burn or possible burning plastic. I tried looking under my seat to see if anything was apparent but getting a good look under a catera seat is near impossible without taking it to a dealer.  I think the odor only comes when I turn on my heated seat warmer but it could be something else.  The smell is coming mostly from between the driver seat and center console. If anyone knows anything about what it could possible be let me know.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • cateraowners <cateraowners@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        It's very likely the seat warmer has shorted out and burnt the seat.
        This is a common issue on cars with seat warmers, unfortunately.
        Take it to a dealer to have it fixed. Good luck!

        --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Jason Arges <jdarges@y...> wrote:

        > I need some help of finding the source of what smells in my car.
        About 2 days ago I got into my car and turned on my heated seat and
        about 5 minutes later there was a odor that smelled like an
        electrical burn or possible burning plastic. I tried looking under my
        seat to see if anything was apparent but getting a good look under a
        catera seat is near impossible without taking it to a dealer. I
        think the odor only comes when I turn on my heated seat warmer but it
        could be something else. The smell is coming mostly from between the
        driver seat and center console. If anyone knows anything about what
        it could possible be let me know.

      • arthur.sturgis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          For what it's worth, my 2000 Catera's seat warmer (drivers side) gets so hot, on even setting one, that I choose not to use it.  I asked my normally helpful Cadillac dealer to fix it and they advized me to "simply turn it off'" rather than fix it.  I chose not to push the issue then because I have other more important issues to correct.  When all it done I will bring it up with them again and try to get the warmer fixed.  I think the warmers are quite unreliable.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
            Find another dealer and get it repaired if need be. Their "advice"
            was/is bizarre, as this is something of a "known" issue at this point
            to the group, if not necessarily GM. In fact, I'd advise anyone who
            has seat warmers in a vehicle under warranty to turn them on and
            check them before the warranty runs out, as I have seen lots of
            reports of failures. A friendly suggestion.

            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "arthur.sturgis"
            <arthur.sturgis@v...> wrote:
            > For what it's worth, my 2000 Catera's seat warmer (drivers side)
            gets so hot, on even setting one, that I choose not to use it. I
            asked my normally helpful Cadillac dealer to fix it and they advized
            me to "simply turn it off'" rather than fix it. I chose not to push
            the issue then because I have other more important issues to
            correct. When all it done I will bring it up with them again and try
            to get the warmer fixed. I think the warmers are quite unreliable.

            Service.
          • D Winder
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
              When we bought our 2000 cat the driver's side heated seat did not work. Now that it has turned cold it still does not work, imagine that. I have read that this is common with the Cats, but have never read how to correct it. Any help will be appreciated especially by my wife when she drives it.
            • Peter Wiederhold
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
                The heated seats are notorius for burning out. Some will get real hot
                before they burn out. Mine driver's side did that.
                An automotive upholtery shop would be able to install new, bet it
                won't be cheap, but less than dealer. That's where they would send it
                to for repair.