Rear rotor removal...

  • joenordone
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      I am in the process of replacing the rear breaks on a 1998 Catera (55k
      miles). I got the calipers off (the pads came off in pieces) but i
      cannot get the rotor off. I think it is the parking break that is
      holding it on. I managed to get the rotor loose, and it comes off
      about 1/2 inch but that is it. If i pull on it/hit it, it only goes a
      little further then gets pulled back like it is spring loaded. How do
      i get the fool thing off! I am sure that the syracuse winter doesnt
      help the process any... It was rusted pretty good. I also plan on
      replacing the parking break when I do finally get the rotor off
    • Chregan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
        I had the same thing when I tried to remove mine. First, I assume you have removed the set screw that holds the rotor on, right? Just making sure. There should be a hole in the rotor that you can turn to the 12 o'clock position. Then, you can put a small screwdriver in and turn the adjustment wheel to back the shoes off a bit. Unfortunately, I can't remember which way loosens it.
        The parking brake shoes don't need to be replaced unless you have driven with the brake on. Otherwise, they don't wear since they are only applied when the car is stopped. They're not cheap. The lowest price I found was $50 at Napa.

        In a message dated 4/1/2006 11:53:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, joenordone@... writes:
        I am in the process of replacing the rear breaks on a 1998 Catera (55k
        miles). I got the calipers off (the pads came off in pieces) but i
        cannot get the rotor off. I think it is the parking break that is
        holding it on. I managed to get the rotor loose, and it comes off
        about 1/2 inch but that is it. If i pull on it/hit it, it only goes a
        little further then gets pulled back like it is spring loaded. How do
        i get the fool thing off! I am sure that the syracuse winter doesnt
        help the process any... It was rusted pretty good. I also plan on
        replacing the parking break when I do finally get the rotor off

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • joenordone
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
          Yes, i did remove the set screw :-)
          I looked through all the holes, while turning it, and i couldnt find a
          screw to turn! there were 2 cap like things with phillips indentations
          but i didnt wanna mess around with those, assuming part of the
          breaking system. @ the 12 o'clock position, there is only a spring
          there, nothing else. @ the 2 o'clock position, it looks like the
          linkage is there but nothing to really adjust anything. What sort of
          screw am i looking for? phillips/flat/torx?

          Thanks a buch for your help

          --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Chregan@... wrote:

          > I had the same thing when I tried to remove mine. First, I assume
          you have
          > removed the set screw that holds the rotor on, right? Just making
          sure. There
          > should be a hole in the rotor that you can turn to the 12 o'clock
          position.
          > Then, you can put a small screwdriver in and turn the adjustment
          wheel to back
          > the shoes off a bit. Unfortunately, I can't remember which way
          loosens it.
          > The parking brake shoes don't need to be replaced unless you have
          driven
          > with the brake on. Otherwise, they don't wear since they are only
          applied when
          > the car is stopped. They're not cheap. The lowest price I found was
          $50 at
          > Napa.
          >
          > In a message dated 4/1/2006 11:53:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > joenordone@... writes:
          >
          > I am in the process of replacing the rear breaks on a 1998 Catera (55k
          > miles). I got the calipers off (the pads came off in pieces) but i
          > cannot get the rotor off. I think it is the parking break that is
          > holding it on. I managed to get the rotor loose, and it comes off
          > about 1/2 inch but that is it. If i pull on it/hit it, it only goes a
          > little further then gets pulled back like it is spring loaded. How do
          > i get the fool thing off! I am sure that the syracuse winter doesnt
          > help the process any... It was rusted pretty good. I also plan on
          > replacing the parking break when I do finally get the rotor off
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • joenordone
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
            Correction to the previous message, not 2 o'clock, it was 6.
            I also took off the other wheel and it looked the same.

            --joe

            --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, "joenordone" <joenordone@...> wrote:

            > Yes, i did remove the set screw :-)
            > I looked through all the holes, while turning it, and i couldnt find a
            > screw to turn! there were 2 cap like things with phillips indentations
            > but i didnt wanna mess around with those, assuming part of the
            > breaking system. @ the 12 o'clock position, there is only a spring
            > there, nothing else. @ the 2 o'clock position, it looks like the
            > linkage is there but nothing to really adjust anything. What sort of
            > screw am i looking for? phillips/flat/torx?
            >
            > Thanks a buch for your help
            >

            > --- In CateraOwners@yahoogroups.com, Chregan@ wrote:
            > >

            > > I had the same thing when I tried to remove mine. First, I assume
            > you have
            > > removed the set screw that holds the rotor on, right? Just making
            > sure. There
            > > should be a hole in the rotor that you can turn to the 12 o'clock
            > position.
            > > Then, you can put a small screwdriver in and turn the adjustment
            > wheel to back
            > > the shoes off a bit. Unfortunately, I can't remember which way
            > loosens it.
            > > The parking brake shoes don't need to be replaced unless you have
            > driven
            > > with the brake on. Otherwise, they don't wear since they are only
            > applied when
            > > the car is stopped. They're not cheap. The lowest price I found was
            > $50 at
            > > Napa.
            > >
            > > In a message dated 4/1/2006 11:53:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > > joenordone@ writes:
            > >
            > > I am in the process of replacing the rear breaks on a 1998 Catera
            (55k
            > > miles). I got the calipers off (the pads came off in pieces) but i
            > > cannot get the rotor off. I think it is the parking break that is
            > > holding it on. I managed to get the rotor loose, and it comes off
            > > about 1/2 inch but that is it. If i pull on it/hit it, it only goes a
            > > little further then gets pulled back like it is spring loaded. How do
            > > i get the fool thing off! I am sure that the syracuse winter doesnt
            > > help the process any... It was rusted pretty good. I also plan on
            > > replacing the parking break when I do finally get the rotor off
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • joenordone
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
              NEVER MIND!, i figured it out. There is a cog that you turn with the
              screw driver. You turn it from top to bottom to losen up the pads!

            • Chregan@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
                Cool! That's what I meant. Looking back at my answer, I should have been clearer about prying the cog instead of turning a screw. Glad you got it.