new transmission

  • Eddie Henderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      I am post this message because I need some info and help.
      I owner a 1999 catera, I am the only owner, since owning this car, I
      had problems with my rear tires wearing out on the inside edges, I
      have put four set of tires in 5 years and now the transmission is gone.
      The dealer wants to charge me $3,600 to put a new transmission in.
      I live in the Kansas City, MO area.
      my questions is this Can anyone tell me were to go to get my
      transmission repaired for a reasonable price?

      please response ASAP
    • Russ
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        > The dealer wants to charge me $3,600 to put a new transmission in.
        > I live in the Kansas City, MO area.
        > my questions is this Can anyone tell me were to go to get my
        > transmission repaired for a reasonable price?
        > please response ASAP

        $3600! good grief has auto repair costs gotten that bad? Or is this
        for a brand new transmission. I wonder if your problem is not the
        transmission, but the computer that controls it. Did the dealer check
        it out?

        First of all, I would start calling transmission shops and get over
        the phone prices and warranty terms.

        Even though these cars have computer controlled transmissions, I would
        think the going rate would be around $1500. installed for a rebuilt
        one. But you might find that no shop will work on a Catera. I
        discovered yesterday, two alignment shops that would not work on my
        1995 Jaguar, here in Los Angeles. Then after getting quotes of more
        than $180., I found a tire shop that did it for $50 bucks. Solved my
        pulling to the left problem. One just has to shop around.

        Some shops buy the rebuilt transmission and only do the installation
        work. Others, repair your transmission. I trust the shops that do
        their own bench repair work.

        I have had experience with the exchange shops where I had to bring my
        1977 Seville back more than once and finally taking it to another
        shop. That was when the car was out of warranty; none of my cars
        since have had transmission failures.

        Another gamble might be to buy a transmission from a salvage yard and
        take it to a transmission shop for a swap. I'll bet you can buy one
        for a few hundred bucks and get it installed for another couple
        hundred or so. However, if that one is bad, more labor costs.

        I guess you are one of the owners who did not buy the extended
        warranty. My 1998 Catera will not have a transmission fail until 2007
        when the warranty expires. You know, you can replace your Catera for
        around the price they are quoting you for a transmission. Another
        option, buy another car and sell yours or keep it for parts.
      • Chregan@aol.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
            earlier this year i had to replace the tranny in my 98.  the pump went out and was making a grinding noise.  I found a wreaking yard chain in cal. and nv that had 10 of them in stock.  I got one from them for 300 bucks.  it was out of a 2000 and only had 29k on it.   I saved money by installing it myself.  (total cost of 350 for new filter and fluild) piece of cake install, about the same difficulty as a clutch job on my mustang gt.

            Eddie Henderson <flyman1906@...> wrote:
            I am post this message because I need some info and help.
            I owner a 1999 catera, I am the only owner, since owning this car, I
            had problems with my rear tires wearing out on the inside edges, I
            have put four set of tires in 5 years and now the transmission is gone.
            The dealer wants to charge me $3,600 to put a new transmission in.
            I live in the Kansas City, MO area.
            my questions is this Can anyone tell me were to go to get my
            transmission repaired for a reasonable price?

            please response ASAP

            Yahoo! for Good
          • Lew Weingarth
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
              The used tranny idea sounds good especially if you ask them for a guarantee - not money back but swap if it is no good.

              I would NOT take it to AAMCO.  I made that mistake on my Ford Ranger some years back.  I had a bearing start whining in the tranny, plus at 120K the synchros were worn out in 1st and 2nd.  Because of the miles I decided it was time for some work.

              AAMCO on Dairy Ashford Rd in west Houston showed me metal pieces in the oil and said the fragile Mitsubishi tranny could not be rebuilt because the case was damaged, and charged me $1,000 for a replacement tranny.

              On the way home I noticed worn out synchros on 1st and 2nd, so it couldn't be a rebuild, how dumb did they think I was?  I am very mechanically inclined and in the past rebuilt my own trannies.  Not hard but takes a long time if you don't do it often and now I make enough to pay a pro.  Unknown to AAMCO when they showed me the metal parts I had written down the serial number of the tranny.  I crawled under when I got home - same serial number.  Drained some lube - sure looked like STP.

              We went round and round back - they would let it sit in their lot a few days and tell me another lie.  Finally, I took it to another AAMCO shop and asked them to honor the warranty.  They informed me that AAMCO shops are independently owned and each owner honors his own warranty.  There is no recourse to the national franchise except to go break down in another city, which I didn't have time to do.  I finally gave up - accepted I had paid $1000 for a can of STP.  I am sure there are honest AAMCO shops but the AAMCO name is worthless and the shop on Dairy Ashford does not honor their own warranty.  So, head for the dealer or the shade tree - or AAMCO if you wish, but don't believe the AAMCO name means anything.

              I can recommend two great reasonable places in Houston.  Andrell automotive on Richmond just west of Kirby, and TechBoys on Morton Ranch Rd in Katy.  Andrell took forever to fix my Catera and got lost in the computers a while but did fine mechanical work and charged a fair price.   They will get all of my future work - except electrical - forget Andrell on hi tech electrical jobs but mechanically they are excellent.  TechBoys is a Mexican family that does fine work for a reasonable price and is totally honest, also speak Spanish.  They changed my AC to the new freon - new compressor, all the labor, whatever other bits needed, the whole thing done so well I almost needed a parka in Houston, for $600.  I would still use TechBoys except it is now a 40 mile drive.

              Best Regards.
              Lew Weingarth

              Eddie Henderson <flyman1906@...> wrote:
              I am post this message because I need some info and help.
              I owner a 1999 catera, I am the only owner, since owning this car, I
              had problems with my rear tires wearing out on the inside edges, I
              have put four set of tires in 5 years and now the transmission is gone.
              The dealer wants to charge me $3,600 to put a new transmission in.
              I live in the Kansas City, MO area.
              my questions is this Can anyone tell me were to go to get my
              transmission repaired for a reasonable price?

              please response ASAP

              Best Regards,
              Lew Weingarth