RE: Cadillac Tuning & Body Modifications

  • Keith Onchuck
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
      I am the type of person who can never leave anything
      alone. Some things I would buy in an instant for the
      Catera include:

      Throttle Body (I keep looking around at other GM cars
      for candidates)
      Underdrive pullies - I have had great success on other
      cars with these
      Headers and Exhaust upgrades - however I do not want
      to car to loud and from the looks of the stock exhaust
      I do not know how much you could gain.

      Since none of these things are available, I was
      thinking about looking at ways to reduce weight. My
      car is approaching 75,000 miles and I was thinking
      about replacing struts. If I can find ones that work
      without the load leveling suspension, I can remove all
      of the components related to that. I am sure there
      are other places to reduce some weight as well.

      It seems to me there is a lot of potential in the
      Catera for enhancements to performance; braking,
      suspension and drivetrain. I personally do not care
      for any body kits but anything that enhances
      performance, sign me up.

      Keith

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • wxbgt01
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
        There's actually alot out there. The problem is it's on the other
        side of the pond. Go to this site and don't let the German language
        scare you. All it takes is a click of the mouse to get out of
        trouble.

        http://www.tuner-verzeichnis.de/opel/opel.html

        Bill Baird

        --- In CateraOwners@y..., Keith Onchuck <keitho64@y...> wrote:
        > I am the type of person who can never leave anything
        > alone. Some things I would buy in an instant for the
        > Catera include:
        >
        > Throttle Body (I keep looking around at other GM cars
        > for candidates)
        > Underdrive pullies - I have had great success on other
        > cars with these
        > Headers and Exhaust upgrades - however I do not want
        > to car to loud and from the looks of the stock exhaust
        > I do not know how much you could gain.
        >
        > Since none of these things are available, I was
        > thinking about looking at ways to reduce weight. My
        > car is approaching 75,000 miles and I was thinking
        > about replacing struts. If I can find ones that work
        > without the load leveling suspension, I can remove all
        > of the components related to that. I am sure there
        > are other places to reduce some weight as well.
        >
        > It seems to me there is a lot of potential in the
        > Catera for enhancements to performance; braking,
        > suspension and drivetrain. I personally do not care
        > for any body kits but anything that enhances
        > performance, sign me up.
        >
        > Keith

        > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • billssport2001
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2002
          I have exchanged emails with the Aussie suspension tuner,
          Whiteline. I'll be sending them photos of my front and rear sway
          bars and control arms. Next step will involve finding a front strut
          and rear shock and coil spring to send over for more precise
          measurements. Once they have those, they can make upgrades
          to the above. Since GM uses the same platform down under and
          these guys have done well with their suspension parts, the work
          on the Catera should be just a matter of small tweeks.

          I talked to Steinmetz in Germany. When I told them the Catera
          had a load leveling suspension, that ended their willingness to
          send over suspension parts. They seemed closely tied to GM
          and not excited about going off in an unofficial direction.

          If anyone has a spare front strut or rear coil & shock lying around,
          please let me know. Otherwise, I'll be searching junk yards for
          such.

          Will keep the group posted on progress.

          Bill Kenner
          Nashville

          --- In CateraOwners@y..., "wxbgt01" <wbaird@w...> wrote:
          > There's actually alot out there. The problem is it's on the other
          > side of the pond. Go to this site and don't let the German
          language
          > scare you. All it takes is a click of the mouse to get out of
          > trouble.
          >
          > http://www.tuner-verzeichnis.de/opel/opel.html
          >
          > Bill Baird
          >

          > --- In CateraOwners@y..., Keith Onchuck <keitho64@y...>
          wrote:
          > > I am the type of person who can never leave anything
          > > alone. Some things I would buy in an instant for the
          > > Catera include:
          > >
          > > Throttle Body (I keep looking around at other GM cars
          > > for candidates)
          > > Underdrive pullies - I have had great success on other
          > > cars with these
          > > Headers and Exhaust upgrades - however I do not want
          > > to car to loud and from the looks of the stock exhaust
          > > I do not know how much you could gain.
          > >
          > > Since none of these things are available, I was
          > > thinking about looking at ways to reduce weight. My
          > > car is approaching 75,000 miles and I was thinking
          > > about replacing struts. If I can find ones that work
          > > without the load leveling suspension, I can remove all
          > > of the components related to that. I am sure there
          > > are other places to reduce some weight as well.
          > >
          > > It seems to me there is a lot of potential in the
          > > Catera for enhancements to performance; braking,
          > > suspension and drivetrain. I personally do not care
          > > for any body kits but anything that enhances
          > > performance, sign me up.
          > >
          > > Keith

          > > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          > > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • Jonathan White
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2002
            Message
            The self leveling susspension setup is only a pump at the fron tend with a level sensor and two pump up rear shocks.

            I have an Omega in the UK that does not have self leveling on and I run standard police spec springs and shocks and it runs like it is on rails ( with 17 inch stand wheels).

            I hope this helps.

            Jonathan

          • jwwerry@canoemail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 8, 2002
              Jonathan,

              Forgive my ignorance, but is like "running on rails" a good thing?
              One of the things I don't like about the Catera is that it will tend
              to follow slight road depressions and you have to fight it to get out
              of them. On a freshly paved highway, though, I can take my hands off
              the wheel and it will steer itself for quite a distance.

              Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail
            • billssport2001
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2002
                You are right that the self leveling suspension shouldn't scare off
                Steinmetz, but when I mentioned that it stopped them cold.

                What brand of shocks and springs do you use? Same with
                wheel and tire size. What brand and what rating do you use.

                Thanks,
                Bill Kenner

                --- In CateraOwners@y..., "Jonathan White" <jawhite@y...> wrote:
                > The self leveling susspension setup is only a pump at the fron
                tend with
                > a level sensor and two pump up rear shocks.
                >
                > I have an Omega in the UK that does not have self leveling on
                and I run
                > standard police spec springs and shocks and it runs like it is
                on rails
                > ( with 17 inch stand wheels).
                >
                > I hope this helps.
                >
                > Jonathan

                Modifications

                > I have exchanged emails with the Aussie suspension tuner,
                > Whiteline. I'll be sending them photos of my front and rear
                sway
                > bars and control arms. Next step will involve finding a front strut
                > and rear shock and coil spring to send over for more precise
                > measurements. Once they have those, they can make
                upgrades
                > to the above. Since GM uses the same platform down under
                and
                > these guys have done well with their suspension parts, the
                work
                > on the Catera should be just a matter of small tweeks.
                >
                > I talked to Steinmetz in Germany. When I told them the Catera
                > had a load leveling suspension, that ended their willingness
                > send over suspension parts. They seemed closely tied to GM
                > and not excited about going off in an unofficial direction.
                >
                > If anyone has a spare front strut or rear coil & shock lying
                around,
                > please let me know. Otherwise, I'll be searching junk yards for
                > such.
                >
                > Will keep the group posted on progress.
                >
                > Bill Kenner
                > Nashville
                >

                > --- In CateraOwners@y..., "wxbgt01" <wbaird@w...> wrote:
                > > There's actually alot out there. The problem is it's on the
                other
                > > side of the pond. Go to this site and don't let the German
                > language
                > > scare you. All it takes is a click of the mouse to get out of
                > > trouble.
                > >
                > > http://www.tuner-verzeichnis.de/opel/opel.html
                > >
                > > Bill Baird
                > >

                > > --- In CateraOwners@y..., Keith Onchuck <keitho64@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > > I am the type of person who can never leave anything
                > > > alone. Some things I would buy in an instant for the
                > > > Catera include:
                > > >
                > > > Throttle Body (I keep looking around at other GM cars
                > > > for candidates)
                > > > Underdrive pullies - I have had great success on other
                > > > cars with these
                > > > Headers and Exhaust upgrades - however I do not want
                > > > to car to loud and from the looks of the stock exhaust
                > > > I do not know how much you could gain.
                > > >
                > > > Since none of these things are available, I was
                > > > thinking about looking at ways to reduce weight. My
                > > > car is approaching 75,000 miles and I was thinking
                > > > about replacing struts. If I can find ones that work
                > > > without the load leveling suspension, I can remove all
                > > > of the components related to that. I am sure there
                > > > are other places to reduce some weight as well.
                > > >
                > > > It seems to me there is a lot of potential in the
                > > > Catera for enhancements to performance; braking,
                > > > suspension and drivetrain. I personally do not care
                > > > for any body kits but anything that enhances
                > > > performance, sign me up.
                > > >
                > > > Keith

                Service
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              • Robert Harvey
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2002
                  Hi,

                  My Omega (model MV6) also has non adjustable shocks, which were changed recently to new Koni ones. The wheels and tyres are the original 235/ZR 17 inch. This is my 4th Omega since '95 and I've never had any problem with the tyre wear you guys seem to have. My current and previous car suffered from vibration through the steering at high speeds. It was never cured on the last car, but was resolved with this one quite recently by replacing the large U shaped mounting brackets that hold the backs of the rear subframe in place. There is some very stiff rubber inside the metal U and it seems this can wear over time - mine is a June '98 with 83,000 now, and apparently cars with manual transmission, i.e. like mine, suffer earlier than auto's.

                  Its a very simple fix, with cheap parts and a short labour time - although the differential MUST be supported.

                  HTH.

                  Regards ........... Robert
                  You are right that the self leveling suspension shouldn't scare off
                  Steinmetz, but when I mentioned that it stopped them cold.

                  What brand of shocks and springs do you use? Same with
                  wheel and tire size. What brand and what rating do you use.

                  Thanks,
                  Bill Kenner

                  --- In CateraOwners@y..., "Jonathan White" <jawhite@y...> wrote:
                  > The self leveling susspension setup is only a pump at the fron
                  tend with
                  > a level sensor and two pump up rear shocks.

                  > I have an Omega in the UK that does not have self leveling on
                  and I run
                  > standard police spec springs and shocks and it runs like it is
                  on rails
                  > ( with 17 inch stand wheels).

                  > I hope this helps.

                  > Jonathan

                • jazeke1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
                    Bill,

                    Have you asked any of your contacts about body kits or engine
                    modifications? I see that you live in Nashville, TN, How much will
                    all this stuf cost to ship? Is it worth it? You might also want to
                    check on the European eBay sites, if you can read or speak or
                    translate German. Please let me know how things turn out for you,
                    because I have been brainstorming on what I would like to do with
                    mine. Thanks.

                    John
                    --- In CateraOwners@y..., "billssport2001" <williamkenner@c...>